Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Coolant overflow tank leak? anyone sealed them?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-11, 08:55 AM
bugjug
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant overflow tank leak? anyone sealed them?

Interesting, I fired up the sc400 and saw some bubbles coming out of the side of the overflow tank for the coolant. Anyone have a fix on this? I was thinking about using a large soldering iron..
-bug
Old 02-06-11, 02:21 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its a plastic tank that isnt pressurized. Use epoxy, fiberglass or whatever
Old 02-06-11, 03:48 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I have tried epoxy and gorilla glue, and whatever else I could find. Nothing so far has held. I say buy another tank. If anyone knows a solution I would like to hear it.
Old 02-06-11, 03:56 PM
FatBrian81
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I've even tried jb weld on other cars also. Nothing really works long term, the plastic gets hot and expands and eventually will crack anything and leak again.
Old 02-06-11, 10:07 PM
Candela
Lead Lap

If you dont mind doing some relocation or picking out brackets

Old 02-06-11, 10:30 PM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by xknowonex
Its a plastic tank that isnt pressurized. Use epoxy, fiberglass or whatever
not unless he has a rare 98-00 sc400.
92-97 sc400 tanks have the pressure cap built on top of them.
Old 02-07-11, 04:17 AM
bugjug
Driver

Originally Posted by account2x
not unless he has a rare 98-00 sc400.
92-97 sc400 tanks have the pressure cap built on top of them.
1995. I wonder if I can use a small torch to try to seal the sides..
Old 07-18-11, 08:03 PM
Meanshyguy
Driver

So no fix to this problem yet, mine's leaking around the sensor area, anyone has any aluminum aftermarket tank for sale?
Old 07-18-11, 08:52 PM
navazsc3
Rookie

you can buy a universal one at autozone for less than $10
Old 07-18-11, 10:39 PM
BigBang
Lead Lap

Better to just get a new one, welding/any kind of product don't stick well to that kind of plastic.
Old 07-19-11, 12:11 AM
bleedspeed
Lead Lap

disagree. there is an epoxy that will work. its called waterweld by jbweld. i used it to repair a 6" long crack with a gap in a plastic radiator. it held under radiator pressure expansion/contraction and extreme heat without breaking a sweat. the stuff is simply amazing and sticks to plastic with ease. i drove the car for 6 months with it and sold it with it. just skuff up the area with rough sandpaper and apply it takes only a couple hours to cure and i promise it wont leak.

p.s. this stuff is bulletproof. its not like other jbweld products. it can even be applied to the plastic while its wet. can be used underwater. i know home depot carries it and i have seen recently some knockoffs being sold in parts houses as a plastic radiator repair. its a white putty stick. i have used it to repair cracked plastic and its better then anything i ever tried.

Last edited by bleedspeed; 07-19-11 at 04:32 AM.
Old 09-05-11, 02:49 PM
sqchram
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bleedspeed
disagree. there is an epoxy that will work. its called waterweld by jbweld. i used it to repair a 6" long crack with a gap in a plastic radiator. it held under radiator pressure expansion/contraction and extreme heat without breaking a sweat. the stuff is simply amazing and sticks to plastic with ease. i drove the car for 6 months with it and sold it with it. just skuff up the area with rough sandpaper and apply it takes only a couple hours to cure and i promise it wont leak.

p.s. this stuff is bulletproof. its not like other jbweld products. it can even be applied to the plastic while its wet. can be used underwater. i know home depot carries it and i have seen recently some knockoffs being sold in parts houses as a plastic radiator repair. its a white putty stick. i have used it to repair cracked plastic and its better then anything i ever tried.
I too have a leaking coolant overflow tank '92 SC400. At first I thought it was the rubber gasket on the sensor, but upon closer inspection it does seem that the plastic tank has tiny cracks around where the coolant level sensor threads in.

I tried the JB waterweld. Scuffed up the area, patched it thoroughly. It lasted roughly a month until the coolant worked its way through.

Came here searching for cheap alternatives, but looks like I'll be buying an OEM replacement tank.
Old 09-05-11, 04:08 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

The only solution that i have is buying another tank. I will have one for sale in a few weeks with sensor if anyone is interested or hasn't been able to find the solution yet. It doesn't leak at all, like new..

Let's figure something out here on this common problem.. We can find solution for leaking headlights but no t a plastic tank?
Old 09-05-11, 10:34 PM
V8drummer
Intermediate

Seems like most of them eventually crack, coolant gets a little low, and heat stops working.

I bought a low mileage reservoir off the classifieds as well, and so far so good.
Old 12-22-14, 06:26 AM
lexuscfour
Rookie

Used JB Waterweld yesterday after developing a few small cracks on the side of my overflow bottle. I'll see how long it lasts.

Quick Reply: Coolant overflow tank leak? anyone sealed them?