2jz GE vs GTE

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-11, 09:23 PM
imDementeD
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo?
a lot of you have great and valid points,
im doing the work my self. and i was thinking aristo motor.
im just afraid of dumping all that money in a GE motor and it still not being reliable in terms of boost. knowing me the last thing i want is another blown engine.

any pointers on making the ge reliable?
i havent figured out a budget yet. since i am still not back into an SC yet. I've got my eye on one. And am currently in negociations with this individual. hopefully will be picking the car up with in a few months.

but i know boost is my goal, and i've been doing some research on this forum. I miss my Soarer that i had it was just too much fun! i want another boosted SC

thanks for your opinion guys keep it coming
get at least a horsepower goal in mind.
the ge is just as reliable as the gte.
the difference in what to do is dependent on your goals like others have mentioned..
you want 300whp? do nothing except turbo the car..use a safc and be done with it.
want 500whp...put a tt hg arp head studs for added insurance grab a stand alone upgrade fuel and tranny and boost away..

theres no reason the ge cant make as much as the ge..the intake manifold isnt a drawback other then possibly running into clearance issues with large turbos..the dist. isn't an issue either other then clearance..both are sufficient enough to make huge horse power.
Old 02-04-11, 09:23 PM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by imDementeD
the only thing i can think of is the combustion chamber and the quench..which is good for both engines..this is more talked about when mixing parts..ie putting gte pistons in a ge block with ge head..the quench isnt as good as it would of been using a gte head...but the same goes for the ge..using stock pistons with stock head will provide the best quench ..thats why it was designed specifically for..

the only reason the gte is considered better for boost is the low compression which is safer and more reliable especially when these motors first came out..however in this day and age with the tuning technology that we have its much better to run a higher compression( of course a ton of variables are at play but if you aren't looking for ridiculous numbers street driven on pump gas then its going to be best to run higher compression then 8.5:1 )
It's not that. It's the way the gasoline atomizes with the air.
Old 02-04-11, 10:00 PM
imDementeD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by account2x
It's not that. It's the way the gasoline atomizes with the air.
wow....you really think because the way that the GTE head atomizes gasoline better with the air(which i dont believe is necessarily true even if it is its not a big enough difference to matter)..is the reason to spend upwards of $5,000 to go with it over the GE...

you won me over..gte it is.
Old 02-04-11, 10:03 PM
klepto2
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it depends on your goals as some have said here. You can get what you want with both sides. For example in my previous SC I had a stock GE motor with a head gasket, head studs and semi-built head. 750cc injectors, medium sized turbo(T67), Standalone and few other supporting mods and a w54 tranny. I was pushing 400+ and I dd the car for a while on 17psi and it handled and responded fine. So what i'm trying to say is NA-T does the job well enough.
Old 02-04-11, 10:33 PM
jjffyy
Lead Lap

Both are great motors and you can't go wrong with either one. Like everyone been saying it all depends on your HP goal and budget. NA-T is a little less expensive and yields better HP rather than a stock GTE which you spent almost double that you would've on a NA-T setup. Either way you got to do it right the first time, you can swap a GTE and it won't be reliable, same goes for NA-T.
Old 02-04-11, 11:46 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Turbo?
im just afraid of dumping all that money in a GE motor and it still not being reliable in terms of boost. knowing me the last thing i want is another blown engine.

any pointers on making the ge reliable?

If you are boosting a ge, go standalone with a pro tune and it'll run smooth as stock. (I hate piggy backs)

But then that can be said for a gte as well.

As others have said though, you need to pick a point, set a goal, set a price, and accept the inevitable compromises therein. There is no end to this game! Like the great GE vs. GTE debate, it goes on ad infinitum.

It's relatively easy to make X-hp, but then there's the supporting mods that you'll need to keep pace with what you did to the engine. And they don't increase in nice digestible increments that just keep pace with what you did. They seem to hit these quantum thresholds of time and money where you're either on one side or the other until you make the next upgrade . . . and then that upgrade starts the whole bloody process over again with the next component in line. The "perfect build" doesn't exist; every build is ultimately an exercise in compromise at some point.

Decide what you want and be happy with it. In the bigger picture it really doesn't make a whole heck of a lot of difference whether it's GE or GTE, because you can have an awful lot of fun with either and they're both ultimately compromises anyway.

$.02
Old 02-05-11, 12:56 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I am not talking about the headflow but the way the top part (head) of the cylinder is designed.
The top part of the head is the same, i just told you why, you can even bolt gte valvecovers to a ge head. Even all the oil passages and everything line up perfectly, the headgaskets are interchangeable, the valve stem seals, the list goes on and on. Na-t will have slightly higher compression with just the TT headgasket, but most see this as an advantage.
Old 02-05-11, 01:15 AM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
The top part of the head is the same, i just told you why, you can even bolt gte valvecovers to a ge head. Even all the oil passages and everything line up perfectly, the headgaskets are interchangeable, the valve stem seals, the list goes on and on. Na-t will have slightly higher compression with just the TT headgasket, but most see this as an advantage.
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...=1#post7365532
Old 02-05-11, 06:19 AM
imDementeD
Lead Lap

That says don't use tt hg with tt pistons and na head...which will provide lower the stock gte comp which will suck *** for most ppl and yea it won't be as efficient as it would using a tt head or keeping the na pistons and na head...
Old 02-05-11, 06:39 AM
FatBrian81
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

The combustion chamber and pistons are designed to work as a pair. If you go mixing and matching parts you run the risk of creating a setup that is not optimal. He didn't say there is anything wrong with the na head, just that it doesn't work well with the tt pistons. The tt pistons are cupped on top which allows the tt chamber area of the head to be fairly small. On the other hand, the na pistons are flatter on top which means the chamber needs to larger on the head to keep a reasonable compression ratio. Combining the tt pistons with the tt head gasket and a na head makes for a very low compression ratio that doesn't have good quench without crazy boost. This doesn't mean the na head is bad, just that this setup isn't recommended.
Old 02-05-11, 06:53 AM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Man you guys can't admit you're wrong can you

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...=1#post7379421
Old 02-05-11, 07:18 AM
06bluerex
Driver School Candidate

just stop already, your digging yourself deeper and deeper...
Old 02-05-11, 07:21 AM
FatBrian81
Lead Lap

Man you guys can't admit you're wrong can you

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...=1#post7379421
I'm guessing this is the post you're referring to:

Well, I actually don't agree with the higher compression.

The limitation on vehicles is their ability to get o2 in and out of the vehicle. These days raising boost will always increase power over compression. I honestly don't care about the 15 whp I lose going from 9.1: to 8.5:1 but I do enjoy the safety of the lower comp on pump.

If you want to raise cylinder pressure add timing and if down the road you wish to push it, drop the timing to what you would have had to run at 9.0:1 and now you're able to run 2-3 more PSI, which is a better o2 density when things are setup reasonably.

I'll always be faster with lower comp and more boost than you will be with lower boost and higher compression...

HOWEVER....

If you are talking about E85 or Q16 or something like that, I'd say there is room for high compression! :]

This doesn't have anything to do with what we are discussing.

Last edited by FatBrian81; 02-05-11 at 07:24 AM.
Old 02-05-11, 07:24 AM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

First of all there is nothing to discuss GTE > GE
Second it has everything to do with what we are discussing. The compression ratio of the motors, stock & modified and how it affects them.
Old 02-05-11, 07:27 AM
FatBrian81
Lead Lap

But you can make the compression ratio of either engine be whatever you want it to be, the na motor isn't permanently locked in to its ratio.

Quick Reply: 2jz GE vs GTE