SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

1jz swap idle/turnin off problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-11, 06:01 PM
sprafrk21
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1jz swap idle/turnin off problem

I have a 93 sc3 that went from auto to manual and 1jz. The engine and tranny are out of a 95 chaser.

I got everything in and im ready for the first start.... Its fires right up on the first turn over it sounded like it idled a little high (dont have the tach hooked up yet). After about 20seconds of that it started surging between 1200-2000rpms or so it seemed, I figured I would let it continue in hopes that the ecu was still adjusting. I let it go on for 5-10 minutes but it still contined to do so I go to shut it down in fear my neighbours will call the police for my loud car again, but when I turn the key to the off position and even take the key out of the ignition the car stays running still with that nasty surge. I pulled the ecu grounds to try and kill it but to no use, ended up unlugging the battery to kill it.

long story short Im more worried about fixing this "surging" idle problem as I can run some switches and relays to turn the car off
Old 01-31-11, 06:28 PM
MrFairlady
Driver

I had a similar problem.

My SAFC and Fuel Pump would Stay running and on after I turned the key off. Motor would Shut down.
I tried Numerous Things (including making a New Harness where the Fuel pump Power and main ECU power is and unplugged wires 1 by 1 to see),.......and For some reason I added another Ground Off the Negative Battery cable to the body and BAM...All Fixed.

If you purchase a New Battery Ground Cable They normally come with a Tail off the terminal that Has a "butt" Connector on there. Run a Decent size Gauge Wire and Ground to the Body of the car Like where the battery hold down Bolts near the radiator.

This Issue I believe is Like mine,....something is backfeeding through a Ground.

Working No Nissans are the same way...They LOVE GROUNDS.Remember that.
Old 02-02-11, 11:35 AM
sprafrk21
Driver School Candidate

Mr fairlady-Thanks I will try adding some more grounds tho I dont think its the problem cause I even tried unplugging the fuel pump to kill it, pretty funny stuff I had the key out, both bbattery turminals undone, grounds to the ecu pulled, fuel pump disconnected, no map sensor, no tps and it would not die. Only way to kill it is pull the ignitor.

I fixed the idle surge, somehow my vac line to the map sensor got unplugged. So I hooked it back up then it was idling superlow like it sounded like it would die and then 3 seconds later you would hear a cylinder fire lol Ive never had an engine that wanted to run so badly. After a minute of that it finally idled but really high and if I touched the gas it would bog. So i did some messing around with the tps wiring and now it fires right up, when it idles (I still think its idling a little high) it sounds rough and smokes a bit, the smokes a little dark but it smells normal (like no coolant, oil, or to much fuel) When I rev it it doesnt smoke and it sounds like a regular jz
Old 02-08-11, 04:27 PM
Superjatt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So what exaclty had fixed your problem? Did you try running mor grounds or the messing with tps sensoe fixed it.?
Old 02-08-11, 05:14 PM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sprafrk21
Mr fairlady-Thanks I will try adding some more grounds tho I dont think its the problem cause I even tried unplugging the fuel pump to kill it, pretty funny stuff I had the key out, both bbattery turminals undone, grounds to the ecu pulled, fuel pump disconnected, no map sensor, no tps and it would not die. Only way to kill it is pull the ignitor.

I fixed the idle surge, somehow my vac line to the map sensor got unplugged. So I hooked it back up then it was idling superlow like it sounded like it would die and then 3 seconds later you would hear a cylinder fire lol Ive never had an engine that wanted to run so badly. After a minute of that it finally idled but really high and if I touched the gas it would bog. So i did some messing around with the tps wiring and now it fires right up, when it idles (I still think its idling a little high) it sounds rough and smokes a bit, the smokes a little dark but it smells normal (like no coolant, oil, or to much fuel) When I rev it it doesnt smoke and it sounds like a regular jz

Where are these grounds from the ECU that you pulled? Someone please elaborate.