SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Miles on half a tank...

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-12, 07:15 PM
g4ebguy90
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My hyundai accent.... ** on just a $30.00 fill up would get around 400+ miles it got around 40-45mpg... fml.
Old 05-07-12, 07:24 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Because this guy ^^^ posted nonsensical unrelated BS, the thread opened up a new page and nobody would see my question being asked. Anyways, here it was;

Bump from the dead!!!

Sorry guys, but in need of answers. I'm getting 240-250 miles for every full tank, I have a '95 SC400, bone stock. Is that normal or shouldn't I be getting more out of it?? I just did my fuel filter, I am yet to find out how much more it would give me, hopefully it ads more. I drive like a granpa, and need some answers to know what else I need to fix. And oh yeah, my SC drives fine, nothing out of the ordinary, so I'm thinking I just need to do some tuning to make it right. I average 14-15mpg.

Oh yeah, 50/50 city/freeway. And found this some time ago, but haven't completely done it, does it help for MPG??
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...on-issues.html
Old 05-07-12, 08:08 PM
LunaVyohr
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KingPhilip
Because this guy ^^^ posted nonsensical unrelated BS, the thread opened up a new page and nobody would see my question being asked. Anyways, here it was;

Bump from the dead!!!

Sorry guys, but in need of answers. I'm getting 240-250 miles for every full tank, I have a '95 SC400, bone stock. Is that normal or shouldn't I be getting more out of it?? I just did my fuel filter, I am yet to find out how much more it would give me, hopefully it ads more. I drive like a granpa, and need some answers to know what else I need to fix. And oh yeah, my SC drives fine, nothing out of the ordinary, so I'm thinking I just need to do some tuning to make it right. I average 14-15mpg.

Oh yeah, 50/50 city/freeway. And found this some time ago, but haven't completely done it, does it help for MPG??
Really, ideally, if your SC is running extremely well, you should see anywhere between 400-430 with just highway driving. 50/50, less than that, but still more than 250 miles out of 20.6 gallons of petrol.
Old 05-07-12, 08:21 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LunaVyohr
Really, ideally, if your SC is running extremely well, you should see anywhere between 400-430 with just highway driving. 50/50, less than that, but still more than 250 miles out of 20.6 gallons of petrol.
Well, I actually get 240-250 from 17 gallons. That's why I said I get roughly 13-15mpg. Whenever I refill, I get 17 gallons. I refill once the needle hits the line because for some reason the gas warning light doesn't light up. Any ideas what do else do I need to check on?? I was checking that 12 volt mod, and I don't think my car hesitates, unless I'm the only one not feeling it... What do people mean anyways, by hesitating, what exactly do you feel? Cause my SC accelerates normally, but it does feel like its dragging something heavy AT TIMES, so not all the time. Thanks btw.
Old 05-07-12, 08:37 PM
LunaVyohr
Lead Lap

Well, I actually get 240-250 from 17 gallons. That's why I said I get roughly 13-15mpg. Whenever I refill, I get 17 gallons. I refill once the needle hits the line because for some reason the gas warning light doesn't light up. Any ideas what do else do I need to check on?? I was checking that 12 volt mod, and I don't think my car hesitates, unless I'm the only one not feeling it... What do people mean anyways, by hesitating, what exactly do you feel? Cause my SC accelerates normally, but it does feel like its dragging something heavy AT TIMES, so not all the time. Thanks btw.
This thread may answer your question.

Check your coils. Bad coil packs are a common problem with these cars.
Old 05-07-12, 08:40 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LunaVyohr
This thread may answer your question.

Check your coils. Bad coil packs are a common problem with these cars.
Yup, if you didn't notice I linked that to my first post. Anyways, so everything on that thread helps as far as mpg is concerned? And also, shouldn't bad coil packs cause check engine light or misfire?
Old 05-07-12, 08:49 PM
CloudNine7
Rookie

g4ebguy90,
Ah, but there are trade offs with everything--bet you didn't love driving the Hyundai as much as your Lexus!

King Philip,
I know you said your car (gorgeous, btw) is bone stock, but it looks like the tires are over-sized? That can have some effect on gas mileage if you're driving around town--I'd be surprised if this were the issue though, because I wouldn't think it would make "that" big of a difference! Have you had it looked at by a good mechanic?
Old 05-07-12, 08:55 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CloudNine7
g4ebguy90,
Ah, but there are trade offs with everything--bet you didn't love driving the Hyundai as much as your Lexus!

King Philip,
I know you said your car (gorgeous, btw) is bone stock, but it looks like the tires are over-sized? That can have some effect on gas mileage if you're driving around town--I'd be surprised if this were the issue though, because I wouldn't think it would make "that" big of a difference! Have you had it looked at by a good mechanic?
At first that was my thoughts, but then again, I'm losing almost 100 miles to the tank, so I really doubt that it would make that much of a difference. I don't trust shops as they always BS me. Its hard to find a shop that do their job without any extras. I'm pretty sure the issue is just fine tuning or need to replace some parts which I can do by myself. Its a 17 year old car so I don't expect everything to be perfect. Thanks for looking out though.
Old 05-07-12, 09:11 PM
DrMcPho
Rookie

I usually get about 125 miles in traffic and going local but when it comes to freeway i can average about 150 miles.
Old 05-07-12, 09:21 PM
CloudNine7
Rookie

KingPhilip,
No problem! I hear you about mechanics. I am lucky to have a local Kwik Kar that I really trust. If I didn't though, I would go to Christian Brothers Automotive (www.cbac.com). I heard about them on the radio--supposed to be honest. I've never been, but I would if I didn't have my trustworthy Kwik Kar! I hope you're able to get the help or solution you need.
Old 05-07-12, 09:33 PM
Zerodrag
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

I was reading through this forum the other day (forgot why I was on a general search), and I recall some people having issues with a bad coolant temp sensor which would not kick out a CEL even when bad. I believe there are 2-3 sensors, but the one in question was the one that sends the info to the ECU. Worth a shot to search for that thread. It may have been in the GS forum... The sensor cost something like $50, if I recall correctly.
Old 05-07-12, 10:03 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Zerodrag
I was reading through this forum the other day (forgot why I was on a general search), and I recall some people having issues with a bad coolant temp sensor which would not kick out a CEL even when bad. I believe there are 2-3 sensors, but the one in question was the one that sends the info to the ECU. Worth a shot to search for that thread. It may have been in the GS forum... The sensor cost something like $50, if I recall correctly.
Hey thanks, I just saw that on my repair manual pdf, but didn't see anybody mention that it affects mpg, so might as well check it when I have time. That one's gonna be a pain to check. Thanks for the info though, I'll definitely look it up too.
Old 05-08-12, 11:52 AM
durps
Lead Lap

Bump from the dead!!!

Try ordering a new gas cap, if mileage is still bad just return it or sell it on here.
Old 05-08-12, 12:19 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Can anybody explain and confirm that gas cap fix?? I don't see why would it vary. Depending on wether(cold or hot) it is pressurized at times, and sometimes there's no pressure at all that my gas cap feels a little loose.
Old 05-08-12, 01:12 PM
moosejaw2
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I get 150+ at half tank. at around 300+ miles, I put in 16 gallons of gas.
I do 50/50 city highway driving

Quick Reply: Miles on half a tank...