SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Trunk Latch

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-10, 01:31 AM
chef05b
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Trunk Latch

I have problems with my '92 SC400 trunk release. It seams to work okay but does not pop open. I have to turn the key to unlock the key while pushing up on my trunk for it to open. I'm unable to open the trunk from the inside of my car 'cause it doesn't want to pop. Any ideas before I replace the trunk latch?
Old 12-26-10, 02:12 AM
rscott
Lexus Test Driver

Its probably not the latch itself but where the cable attaches to it. If you can open it with the key then the latch is fine. Check where the cable/rod inserts into the latch and make sure there isn't alot of play in it. It might be a 35 cent plastic clip that needs to be replaced.

Btw This is Ron Scott from Ayala. I saw your post on Facebook. Lol I didn't know you could do that.
Old 12-26-10, 03:40 AM
louie1951
Rookie

mine did similar, but would not open with the key. the auto -lock started to malfunction with the passenger door as-well. i remembered it worked fine when a bought the car, so one day i forced the key to work, or turn, and all is fine.
there are many things connected with these cars you may not expect.
Old 12-26-10, 04:28 AM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are your trunk lift struts functional? My SC4 sometimes has issues popping from the inside, just because there is no lifting force to get the striker out of the latch.
Old 12-26-10, 04:36 AM
mak89
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

trunk struts. Its prob. leaking hydraulic fluid and needs to be replaced. The part is about $20-30 from almost any auto part store. Easy fix, common, and there is a diy thread. Also check if the struts are for spoiler or non-spoiler trunks.
Old 12-27-10, 04:46 PM
chef05b
Rookie

Smile

Originally Posted by rscott
Its probably not the latch itself but where the cable attaches to it. If you can open it with the key then the latch is fine. Check where the cable/rod inserts into the latch and make sure there isn't alot of play in it. It might be a 35 cent plastic clip that needs to be replaced.

Btw This is Ron Scott from Ayala. I saw your post on Facebook. Lol I didn't know you could do that.
Hey Ron, how's everything. Haven't seen you in forever. The trunk does open with the key. I might try changing the trunk struts. I'm not sure how old they are, considering it is a 18 year old car. When I get a chance, I'll try the junk yards. We should hang out sometime. You still in Chino Hills?
Old 12-27-10, 04:49 PM
chef05b
Rookie

Originally Posted by ishootstuf
Are your trunk lift struts functional? My SC4 sometimes has issues popping from the inside, just because there is no lifting force to get the striker out of the latch.
The struts function but may not be the ones for the trunk with a spoiler. I'll try that. I already tried to lubricate the latch, no dice. Thanks for the tip. I was about to buy a new latch.
Old 12-28-10, 12:49 AM
rscott
Lexus Test Driver

Hey I don't think its the struts. If it pops with the key then the latch and the struts are not the problem. The problem is somewhere between the actuator and the latch. What happens when you try to open from the inside? does it make a noise like its trying to open? So if it sounds like its trying to open but it won't then it might be the actuator but if not it could be anything in between the switch itself and the latch. Remember its opened electronically so if you don't. Hear anything check all your fuses too. If you hit the switch inside while someone else tries to open it from outside then it may be the struts but I really doubt it. I would check it out but I won't have my car back for a couple days.

My mom moved out of chino hills a few years ago and I actually live in washington dc now but I'm here for the holidays. Drop me a pm with your contact info and ill see if I can come by and check it out.
Old 12-28-10, 12:52 AM
rscott
Lexus Test Driver

Also check to see that the trunk isn't set to valet mode lock lol. Easily overlooked I guess. Will open with the master key no prob but not from the inside.
Old 01-01-11, 11:08 AM
chef05b
Rookie

Hey I don't think its the struts. If it pops with the key then the latch and the struts are not the problem. The problem is somewhere between the actuator and the latch. What happens when you try to open from the inside? does it make a noise like its trying to open? So if it sounds like its trying to open but it won't then it might be the actuator but if not it could be anything in between the switch itself and the latch. Remember its opened electronically so if you don't. Hear anything check all your fuses too. If you hit the switch inside while someone else tries to open it from outside then it may be the struts but I really doubt it. I would check it out but I won't have my car back for a couple days.

My mom moved out of chino hills a few years ago and I actually live in washington dc now but I'm here for the holidays. Drop me a pm with your contact info and ill see if I can come by and check it out.
It does make a noise like it's trying to open. I have my trunk attached to my remote start alarm and it tries to open when I hit the trunk button. I don't think it's the actuator.
Old 01-11-11, 01:43 AM
chef05b
Rookie

Talking

my trunk is working now. I changed the trunk struts today and, man, what a difference. Working perfect. Ordered a set of Strong Arm struts 4508 from ebay for $30 for the pair. What a deal. Other websites I saw where about $18 each plus shipping. Glad i checked ebay. Here's the link for their ebay store, http://stores.ebay.com/Lift-Supports-Depot. Hope it helps someone else.
Old 01-11-11, 07:20 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mak89
trunk struts. Its prob. leaking hydraulic fluid and needs to be replaced. The part is about $20-30 from almost any auto part store. Easy fix, common, and there is a diy thread. Also check if the struts are for spoiler or non-spoiler trunks.
Question about this. I'm 99% certain that my car did not come with a spoiler originally, but I'm not sure if I will need the non-spoiler trunk struts. Is the difference in weight capacity or are they manufactured different?
Old 01-13-11, 12:22 AM
chef05b
Rookie

Originally Posted by Tabaka
Question about this. I'm 99% certain that my car did not come with a spoiler originally, but I'm not sure if I will need the non-spoiler trunk struts. Is the difference in weight capacity or are they manufactured different?
Does your car currently have a spoiler. I've heard that you could go with the spoiler struts even if you don't have a spoiler. The struts for non spoiler trunks are a cost a little more, go figure. I checked a few websites and not sure why that is. If you are looking for a set of struts, check out my last post. There is a link from where I got the struts. Very fast shipping. I got mine within 2 days after I ordered them.
Old 01-13-11, 04:51 AM
blutoyz
Driver School Candidate

Also check to see that the trunk isn't set to valet mode lock lol. Easily overlooked I guess. Will open with the master key no prob but not from the inside.
Thanks for recommending this...Mine was not working and this was the issue. This forum has already fixed two issues:

1. trunk remote
2. Key remote switch under the dash

The sad thing is that I have the owner's manual, I would just rather read here

Old 01-13-11, 05:31 AM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, these things have heavy doors, hood, trunks on em. The earlier SCs are starting to show their mileage, that's for sure.

Quick Reply: Trunk Latch