Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

How to: Trunk Lift Support w/ pics...

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-04, 09:26 PM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I need to change the trunk support but currently rockauto.com doens't seem to have SACHS with spoiler (they do have w/out spoiler) in stock.

how's ACDELCO brand? does any have those installed?
Old 01-29-04, 10:09 PM
96sc3
Lead Lap

so what is the best brand that i can get at a auto parts store taht will definily open up on the release???
Old 01-30-04, 01:04 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

When I was looking for my own set of lift supports I found them to be very elusive. That's because this particular strut design is not shared by any other car, Lexus or otherwise, and with the demand so low, not many are made or stocked, if any at all.

I went to many web sites and many Auto Parts Stores here in Los Angeles, such as Pep Boys, AutoZone, Kragen, Parts America, always with the same results- they are able to see the part listed on their computers, but it is not in inventory. When they try to order it for me, the computer returns a "none available- cannot order" response.
Check out the following thread for posts echoing the same problem-
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=32448
Sometimes I've seen them for sale on eBay.

Taka, I've never seen much difference in construction between the brands, and I don't even think Delco makes their own lifts- they are OEMed from one (or both) of the only 2 firms that make them domestically.

SC300SC628: From that same thread I mentioned above, here are some part numbers (these are for SC's WITH spoilers):
StrongArm part # 4508
SteadyLift part # E072-771
MightyLift part # E95270

All 3 brands are manufactured by the same firm, AVM Inc., of Marion, SC (and owned by ArvinMeritor, of Troy, Michigan). They have an email address of "strongarm@arvin.com", and a web page (http://www.arvinmeritor.com/products...arket/app1.asp) where you can look up part #s.
Old 01-30-04, 03:44 AM
andytseng
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default www.carparts.com

I just did the install last week.
I got my strut from www.carparts.com
They have a pretty good search system, just put in your car type and look for the part.
I only changed one of them... i think it was somewhere between $20-$30.
But only changing one was definitely enough.
Old 02-01-04, 10:05 PM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

I guess I'll try Delco

andytseng: so you think one is enough? I can only replace the right side since I have sub&amp on the left side in the trunk.
Old 02-10-04, 11:33 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up Thanks !

I just got a 'new to me' 1992 SC400 and have stumbled upon this forum. Thanks for the insightful and informative posting with pictures. I just unstalled the new struts for my trunk. The instructions were awesome and saved me lord knows how many hours of trying to figure it out on my own. The first of many, many mods to come I'm sure!

Last edited by bruce van; 02-10-04 at 11:35 PM.
Old 02-11-04, 11:07 AM
DHRP
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Me too

I ordered my replacements at rockauto.com and installed them last weekend. Thanks for the write up!
Old 02-15-04, 04:02 PM
CyberQuark
Driver School Candidate

I just changed mine and here is some info that you might find useful. I paid about $22 each from a local AutoZone store (not in stock, took a few days to arrive). They are made by ArvinMeritor under the Mighty Lift brand. Here is a web site for the product.

http://www.arvinmeritor.com/products...iftcatalog.asp

And here are the part numbers, with or without spoiler.

Lexus SC300/400
1991-95 w/Spoiler
Part Number: E95270

Lexus SC300/400
1991-95 w/o Spoiler
Part Number: E95269

The package contained generic installation instructions showing a retainer clip holding the ball end of the strut onto the ball stud. There is no such clip. Use the instructions posted in this thread instead. The package includes a replacement ball stud and washer, and you will need it.

Before I read the instructions posted in this thread, I wrongly assumed it would be impossible to unscrew the factory ball stud. Since the entire assembly is factory painted, I reasoned the strut was pressed onto the ball stud at the factory, and therefore it must pop off. It does NOT. And I discovered that the metal bends easily if you try to pry the strut off, so don't make that mistake.

It is useful to know that the nut on the back side that retains the ball stud is welded in place and does not turn or come off. The factory paint along with LockTite made removal of the ball stud difficult.

Do NOT use a 1/2" wrench or anything that will round the nut of the ball stud. Use a 12mm metric wrench. I held the wrench firmly on the nut and gave the wrench a blow with a hammer to break the seal. Even after that, it was hard to unscrew, but it came off.

The replacement ball stud that comes packaged with these struts is the correct screw thread, so it fits fine, but it requires an 11mm wrench instead of the 12mm wrench. The strut snaps easily in place at both ends.

Now when I release the trunk, it opens smartly by itself.

With that pesky annoyance fixed, now I plan to keep this car another 12 years.
The following users liked this post:
kdllx470 (12-29-20)
Old 02-15-04, 04:29 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

I sure wish my trunk would open by itself once I replaced the struts, but no such luck.

You didn't happen to use "spoilered" struts on a "non-spoilered" trunk lid, did you?

I have to replace a friend's struts, and she has no spoiler. I was thinking that, if I used "spoilered" struts on her car, she'd be assured of getting the desired "pop-up" effect. Does anyone have any experience with this, or see a downside, such as the "spoilered" struts being so much stronger that she could not easily get the trunk down?
Old 02-15-04, 06:13 PM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

I also changed the pass side lift support today. it was really hard to unscrew the nut but I was able to do it.
I got the AC DELCO (with spoiler) one and changed only one side but it does not open by itself. That's fine with me since at least I know it wouldn't fall on my head anymore.
Old 02-15-04, 08:35 PM
CyberQuark
Driver School Candidate

No, I bought the non-spoiler struts for my non-spoiler trunk lid. It requires a good amount of downward pressue to close the trunk. It would require even more pressure to close it if I had used the "spoiler" struts.

I cannot say why some people are not getting their trunks to open automatically. Maybe they only changed one strut, when they should have changed both. Could be other brands of struts are weaker.

The web site for the company that made mine (Arvin Meritor) claims they are the only US manufacturer of this product. I don't know if there are imports that others might be using. Not sure.
Old 02-15-04, 09:15 PM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The trunk's dont open automaticlly. They never did. I am sure of this because I bought mine brand new. I didnt buy it with the spoiler and it never opened automaticlly.

gadgetSC-t
Old 02-15-04, 09:27 PM
CyberQuark
Driver School Candidate

Mine did not open automatically with the factory struts either. But it opens automatically with these after-market struts.
Old 03-11-04, 12:48 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Actually, they do, IF you have a non-spoilered trunk, and IF you use the more-powerful spoilered trunk struts. I just did this today on a friend's SC, and it sure is neat to see it pop up nice and smooth.

I love the look of my spoiler, but for a minute I was jealous.

I can't see any down side to recommending this to everyone- the struts are bound to last longer too, since they have more gas in them. Unless you're a 99-pound weakling, you won't find the lid too hard to shut.

Oh yeah- one other thing I learned today was that those hard-as-hell-to-remove-because-of-the-Loc-Tite stock ball bolts are easily removed once you apply a little heat to them. I had a propane torch, but I bet a lighter and some patience would have worked just as well.
Old 03-11-04, 01:27 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Cool

Perry, I'm in LA too!! anywayz....I replaced my trunk struts a few months ago and all was fine, no issues other than the pain in the ase of having to use a grinder to get the original struts off. The installation went fine, my problem now is that one of those stupid little clips that hold the bottom of the strut in place (the opposite end from the ball joint) keeps popping off and thus making the struts unable to hold up the trunk lid. I have had to pop off that damn gas tank covering/lining in the trunk and climb in there to bend the clip back in place and reattach the strut at it's base. I've done this 3 times already, it's like after bending the clip back in place it'll hold for a few openings and closings of the trunk and then COLLAPSE, the clip pops off again. Does anyone know if this clip is sold separately at a stealer, err I mean dealer? I think I may have bent it while removing the old struts and now the dinky little thing is just prone to fail. Who would have though that a .50 cent part would cause such aggravation!!

Quick Reply: How to: Trunk Lift Support w/ pics...