Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > SC Models > SC 400/300
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Auto Tilt Steering Wheel Fix

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-10, 10:20 AM   #1
ScJz
Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
ScJz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 107
Default Auto Tilt Steering Wheel Fix

First I would like to give credit to c_irie for providing his write up on how to fix it ( http://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-4...ng-repair.html ), which is where I got most my info on how to fix mine!...So Thank you! Now I would like to provide my own with pics and tutorials.

Problem: When Steering Wheel is tryin to be adjusted with auto stick or auto tilt...It does not move and just makes a loud grinding noise

Explanation: There is a gear/ "worm wheel" inside of the column that assist in adjusting the steering wheel. This gear/"worm wheel" has come out of "alignment" with the coil/"worm". Making the gear just grind on the edge of the teeth instead of the teeth being inline and fitting inside the coil correctly.

Fix: Install a washer behind and in front of gear to align it back into place.



Tools Needed:

(1) Phillips Screwdriver
(2) Paper Clips/ Angled Picks
(1) 1/4" Ratchet
(1) 1/4" 10mm Socket
(1) 8mm Wrench
(2) 9/16's Washers
(1) Dollar [3/$1.12 at Lowes Hardware]

First Step:
The casing around the steering column needs to be replaced. First thing to do is remove 3 screws. Will need phillips head screwdriver
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
Second Step
Next step is to pop the case off...all that is necessary is the lower half. No need to take the top half off. To do this you press above and below the crack with each thumb and push in and pry apart. Same thing on both sides.
Click the image to open in full size.
Third Step
This is what will be exposed on the left side under the lever. You want to remove these 3 screws. This is where you use the 8mm wrench. After you remove them that plate slides out towards you. Then you should be able to see inside and see the gear and coil. (worm and worm wheel)
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
As you can see in the picture above ^ the gear is inset more than it should be only allowing the edge of it to rotate on the coil. It needs to be positioned out more to be lined directly under the coil so the whole surface of the gear is in contact.
Fourth Step
First thing to do is use your 10mm socket and ratchet to remove the nut holding the gear in place. Unfortunately I forgot to get pictures of how to pull the gear out but this is where the 2 paper clips or picks would come in hand. Get the bends of your utensils behind the gear and start gently pulling on the gear making it pull out towards you until it is all the way out. Once it is all the way out you want to install the first washer on the gear shaft. Then put the gear back on and then install the second washer. If there is any confusion on this part, ask and I will take the time to get pics to help out so you can see better. Below are the washers I used for this project from Lowes' Hardware. Again it cost me $1.12 for a pack of 3
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
Now in the above pic you can see how the gear is closer to you and aligned more on the coil and how the outside washer is on. Now you can start putting everything back together
Hopefully this helps some people out. I know it helped me out. If there are any questions about the process please ask I will do my best to help.

Thank you
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!

Last edited by ScJz; 12-10-10 at 10:05 PM..
ScJz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-10, 10:31 AM   #2
mak89
Pole Position
Trader Score: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: FL
Posts: 280
Default

There are couple threads about this. Bought my car using this problem to talk down the price. Fixed it using a zip-tie and clip the end b/c I didnt have the correct washer size. Anyways it works just as good.
mak89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-10, 10:46 AM   #3
kez
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (3)
 
kez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,117
Default

tuning in
__________________
1992 SC300 Midnight black AC Rep Kit, GripRoyal Grain NRG Hub,Tan 2 Black interior,Tokico Blue-n-Espelier Springs Auto 2 w58 swap Clutchmasters FX300 1jzgte Driftmotion 57 trim, 440cc aristo injectors, safc, single exit 3 inch magnaflow 3 inch cat
Varrstoen ES1.1.1 18x9.5 +12 F 18x10.5+15 R LS400 BBK
kez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-10, 10:53 AM   #4
OaklandLex
Pole Position
Trader Score: (1)
 
OaklandLex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: CA
Posts: 324
Default

I'm gona disable mine so it won't mess up only turnin it on for special occasions lol but yea I'm tuned in too!
OaklandLex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-10, 01:18 PM   #5
SCVIP300
Pole Position
Trader Score: (6)
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 283
Default

waiting for pics... this **** just happened to me for the first time the other week.....very irritating....
SCVIP300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-10, 02:38 PM   #6
BigGreen
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (2)
 
BigGreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: New York
Posts: 663
Default

in on this
__________________

Stay Focused/Stay Blessed/

My 1jz R154 Swap Thread:
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/perf...997-sc300.html
BigGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-10, 03:01 PM   #7
abounly
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (26)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: ca
Posts: 4,262
Default

Pictures step by step will help this thread be more useful than the other. Good job giving credit though!
__________________
01 GS430
SWERVE
https://www.facebook.com/SwerveKrew
abounly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-10, 04:34 PM   #8
spdrcr771
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (12)
 
spdrcr771's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Arlington TX
Posts: 1,542
Default

I fixed mine & just fixed another CL members last weekend. I used a larger washer. drilled out the center to fit over the shaft the 10mm nut screw's on to. Then i drilled 2 tiny holes on ether side of the center of the gear. Center'ed the washer on the gear with vice grip pliers. Then used the same drill bit back through the back side of the gear to mark my holes to drill through the washer. The tiny screws that I bought were @ home depot. Its the smallest fine thread flat head screw they got & shortest. so thats where i matched my drill bit too. once the washer is drilled out to the same holes on the gear, then screw the washter down to the gear. If you can find a smaller head screw you will not have to do this, but you will have to grind down alittle of the head of the screw, that is closest to the center, cause the 10mm nut that you use to put the gear back on with, will not rotate all the way around to tighten all the way down. But after grinding your done. Its permantly fixed. If this DIY is not as good then maybe ill make one.
__________________

Mustang Dyno 8/14/11 98 SC430 (3uz PPE Ypipe)
rwhp=251 rwtq=253
Import Faceoff 2011 Ennis Tx 1/4mi
14.19 @ 98mph
Dallas Raceway 3/3/13 Crandall Tx 1/4mi
13.95 @ 97mph
spdrcr771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-10, 06:59 PM   #9
ScJz
Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
ScJz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 107
Default

some pics posted
ScJz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-10, 10:11 PM   #10
ScJz
Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
ScJz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 107
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OaklandLex View Post
I'm gona disable mine so it won't mess up only turnin it on for special occasions lol but yea I'm tuned in too!
I know exactly what you mean!
ScJz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-10, 10:13 PM   #11
ScJz
Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
ScJz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 107
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mak89 View Post
There are couple threads about this. Bought my car using this problem to talk down the price. Fixed it using a zip-tie and clip the end b/c I didnt have the correct washer size. Anyways it works just as good.
hey as long as it works
ScJz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-10, 10:17 PM   #12
ScJz
Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
ScJz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 107
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdrcr771 View Post
I fixed mine & just fixed another CL members last weekend. I used a larger washer. drilled out the center to fit over the shaft the 10mm nut screw's on to. Then i drilled 2 tiny holes on ether side of the center of the gear. Center'ed the washer on the gear with vice grip pliers. Then used the same drill bit back through the back side of the gear to mark my holes to drill through the washer. The tiny screws that I bought were @ home depot. Its the smallest fine thread flat head screw they got & shortest. so thats where i matched my drill bit too. once the washer is drilled out to the same holes on the gear, then screw the washter down to the gear. If you can find a smaller head screw you will not have to do this, but you will have to grind down alittle of the head of the screw, that is closest to the center, cause the 10mm nut that you use to put the gear back on with, will not rotate all the way around to tighten all the way down. But after grinding your done. Its permantly fixed. If this DIY is not as good then maybe ill make one.
I apologize ahead of time if it is not
ScJz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-11, 11:14 AM   #13
Dtwillis5
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Dtwillis5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: la
Posts: 220
willis da realest da realest
Default steering wheel go up and down but not back and forward how i fix that

Steering wheel do not back and forward how I fix it
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScJz View Post
First I would like to give credit to c_irie for providing his write up on how to fix it ( http://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-4...ng-repair.html ), which is where I got most my info on how to fix mine!...So Thank you! Now I would like to provide my own with pics and tutorials.

Problem: When Steering Wheel is tryin to be adjusted with auto stick or auto tilt...It does not move and just makes a loud grinding noise

Explanation: There is a gear/ "worm wheel" inside of the column that assist in adjusting the steering wheel. This gear/"worm wheel" has come out of "alignment" with the coil/"worm". Making the gear just grind on the edge of the teeth instead of the teeth being inline and fitting inside the coil correctly.

Fix: Install a washer behind and in front of gear to align it back into place.



Tools Needed:

(1) Phillips Screwdriver
(2) Paper Clips/ Angled Picks
(1) 1/4" Ratchet
(1) 1/4" 10mm Socket
(1) 8mm Wrench
(2) 9/16's Washers
(1) Dollar [3/$1.12 at Lowes Hardware]

First Step:
The casing around the steering column needs to be replaced. First thing to do is remove 3 screws. Will need phillips head screwdriver
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
Second Step
Next step is to pop the case off...all that is necessary is the lower half. No need to take the top half off. To do this you press above and below the crack with each thumb and push in and pry apart. Same thing on both sides.
Click the image to open in full size.
Third Step
This is what will be exposed on the left side under the lever. You want to remove these 3 screws. This is where you use the 8mm wrench. After you remove them that plate slides out towards you. Then you should be able to see inside and see the gear and coil. (worm and worm wheel)
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
As you can see in the picture above ^ the gear is inset more than it should be only allowing the edge of it to rotate on the coil. It needs to be positioned out more to be lined directly under the coil so the whole surface of the gear is in contact.
Fourth Step
First thing to do is use your 10mm socket and ratchet to remove the nut holding the gear in place. Unfortunately I forgot to get pictures of how to pull the gear out but this is where the 2 paper clips or picks would come in hand. Get the bends of your utensils behind the gear and start gently pulling on the gear making it pull out towards you until it is all the way out. Once it is all the way out you want to install the first washer on the gear shaft. Then put the gear back on and then install the second washer. If there is any confusion on this part, ask and I will take the time to get pics to help out so you can see better. Below are the washers I used for this project from Lowes' Hardware. Again it cost me $1.12 for a pack of 3
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
Now in the above pic you can see how the gear is closer to you and aligned more on the coil and how the outside washer is on. Now you can start putting everything back together
Hopefully this helps some people out. I know it helped me out. If there are any questions about the process please ask I will do my best to help.

Thank you
Dtwillis5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-11, 11:17 AM   #14
Dtwillis5
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Dtwillis5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: la
Posts: 220
willis da realest da realest
Default

I did the steps to fix the steering wheel it go up and down now but not back and forward how I fix it to go back and forward
Dtwillis5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-11, 05:44 PM   #15
keskipper
Pole Position
Trader Score: (4)
 
keskipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: FL
Posts: 204
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtwillis5 View Post
I did the steps to fix the steering wheel it go up and down now but not back and forward how I fix it to go back and forward
I have asked this same question before to no avail...

My tilt works fine, it's the telescoping part that stopped a few months back.

Would be interested if anyone has a fix for that issue...
__________________


I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 feet per second...
keskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-11, 05:44 PM
 
 
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OH FS: IS-F oem silver carbon fiber interior trim & silver steering wheel controls mikellucci 2Gen IS250 / IS350 / IS-F Classifieds (06-13) 6 04-03-14 05:40 AM
DIY Tilt Steering repair in detail Piratse SC 400/300 23 07-11-13 10:43 PM
FL ****Strasse Forged Carbon Fiber S5 Wheels!**** Robs IS250 Wheels and Tires Classifieds 11 01-31-11 11:36 AM
IL FS: Greddy / AEM / GTE coilpacks & Igniter / 5sp OBD2 ECU / Titan / Paxton jroring SC400 / 300 Classifieds 5 06-17-09 12:36 AM
??What??Free Junction Produce Scara wheel??What ?? TLW Club Lexus Vendor Marketplace 31 04-28-09 12:42 AM


Tags
1993, 300, auto, column, diy, fix, grinding, gx470, lexus, makes, noise, problem, sc, sc400, steering, tilt, wheel, working

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:52 PM.

Join ClubLexus
Advertising


Copyright © 2000-2008 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms of Use | JOBS


Get all contact info