Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Induction Hose

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-18, 07:30 PM
tootles92
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Induction Hose

First, thank you for help over the years. I know more than the average woman about cars (thank goodness my dad required it) and have used this forum to get information on simple things like tires and to make sure the dealership was telling me the truth about repairs. I haven't been on the forum much in recent years since most seem to be modifying their vehicles and answers I needed were no longer easily found. I really love to read about all the modifications that have been done to the SC models, however, I still like mine just the way it came from the factory!

So here is my situation. I am the original owner of a 1992 SC300, which just turned 150,000 miles last month. I have always maintained the car very well, so the interior and exterior (only one minor fender bender in 27 years) are in excellent condition, plus she has always run like a champ. All repairs have been done by Lexus dealerships. I love my car and don't want to sell her. However, the dealership is telling me parts are getting very hard to acquire. Today they told me I need an induction hose but they are no longer made and cannot be found at NAPA and wherever else they check. Is this true? If not, where could I get one? I looked on eBay but found all the different parts confusing, especially the ones from China.

I really believe the dealership (just moved to FL last year) doesn't want to be bothered with my car. They don't have technicians that know it well and are always complaining that the computer is not helpful. It typically takes much longer for repairs than I experienced in CA, VA and IL. This means I can have a loaner car for 3-5 days versus 0-2 days, which I am sure they do not like. I am in a real quandary as to what to do. I love my car but need a reliable vehicle as I only have one. Your thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your time!
Old 12-18-18, 01:08 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Tootles,

Welcome back to the forums and what an excellent track record with your SC300! 150k miles is really not a lot on these cars. With the age there are little quirks to have fixed but to date there is an available good service/solution to all of them. You just won’t have your Lexus dealer being aware of all of them. Most major and minor parts are still available, it’s just that oftentimes they need to be ordered from Toyota’s national warehouses since not everything for an SC300 is kept on hand at dealers. Still... for a stock car most SC specific things are just a couple of days away.

However I do recommend even looking into a trustworthy Toyota dealer or good and trustworthy independent service shop over always taking your SC to a Lexus dealer. It’s just very costly through them. And above all it helps to have a good personal relationship with one or more good on thr level mechanics who looks out for you and knoes these cars.

All the common issues that lexus will charge you hundreds or more for in some parts (some are always a little pricey) have solid fixes available through alternative sources now such as for gauge cluster repair, ECU repair, A/C panel repair, etc.

Now the “induction tube” you mentioned... do you mean the air intake tube made of rubber? Those can become brittle and crack after 25+ years and if that’s your broken part then yes the SC part number is discontinued but there are alternatives such as a cold air intake or a used good one if you wish to keep it factory.

Many of us here drive these cars daily. Despite what your Lexus dealer has said to you the important parts are all readily available

Their complaint about the computers has to do with the parts listings originating from old microfiche records that were all digitized into the current dealer parts system several years ago. Everything is still there, just not where they’re used to looking, probably.

And keep in mind that not all but many major driveline parts for your SC300 correspond directly to the same model year Toyota Supra *Non*-Turbo. This makes engine service much easier for instance.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 12-18-18 at 02:06 AM.
Old 12-18-18, 08:40 PM
tootles92
Driver School Candidate

Thanks so much for the information, especially about Toyota Supra parts. I am new to town so don’t really have any contacts for an independent technician, which is why I went to the dealership. I will have to research and find another place because I really want to keep her. Your encouragement will make it easier to do!
Old 12-19-18, 02:46 AM
KahnBB6

You're welcome! I hope you can keep it! There is a lot of good information in the ClubLexus community to help you keep and maintain your SC. All the common issues over the years have been either covered by DIY repairs/upgrades or through tried and true vendors... or just through the right OEM Lexus parts or cheaper direct from OEM parts suppliers like Denso, Aisin, etc. And yes, most driveline and suspension parts from the 1993-1997 Supra non-turbo will work on the SC300.

There is always a fix, solution or alternative part solution for the SC to put your car back as good as or sometimes better than factory. It just requires a little research and asking. The only thing that's a little tough is some cosmetic parts if restoration is needed but between the CL forum classifieds (Marketplace) and eBay generally you can find what you are looking for. We're here to help!
Old 12-19-18, 08:15 AM
tootles92
Driver School Candidate

The hose has silicone on it right now. The more I think about the problem with the car, I keep getting angrier. I bring it in to Lexus because it has a rough idle and get it back with more problems - still a rough idle, whining noise from somewhere under the hood, cruise control not working and then told it is my computer. I am heading over to the dealership in about an hour but have already begun some research on alternative options for repairs. Thanks again Craig for all of your help. I truly appreciate it.

Theresa
Old 12-19-18, 04:14 PM
KahnBB6

Theresa,

Silicone on the hose should do the trick for now. Cosmetics aside all that matters functionally is that there are no cracks that allow un-metered air into the intake. Such cracks will cause your engine ECU to freak out and add even more fuel and pull ignition timing since how much air it thinks it's seeing (from the intake air flow sensor) isn't how much air is coming into the engine and affecting combustion. So that silicone seal should band aid it for the time being.

It is a common problem on Toyota and Lexus cars from 1985-1997 or so for the engine ECU to have leaking capacitors that can cause all manner of issues over time including rough idle, hard starting, rich running, etc. SC300's and SC400's are no exception given their age today.

What we recommend for this even as a future-proofing preventative measure is to contact Tanin Auto Electronix (located in Racine, Wisconsin) to have your engine ECU's capacitors replaced on the circuit boards. They test the ECUs they repair with shop cars to guarantee the repair work. If needed they can usually source a correct type replacement ECU that they will perform the same service to and will mail that to you to alleviate vehicle downtime.

Tanin Auto can also repair any issues with the SC instrument cluster function and lighting and they can repair the HVAC climate control if the LCD screen has gone bad.

A Lexus dealer of course will not offer these services. They will just want to sell you any new old stock electronic parts (like an engine ECU) they have for high prices... or they'll just tell you "sorry, that part is discontinued". Even if your engine ECU is not the issue right now it is a good idea to get it or a spare ECU serviced by Tanin Auto so that you will not run into issues related to it later. Once repaired, drive and forget about it for another 20 years or more.

Other issues with rough idle can be due to spark plugs, distributor cap, distributor rotor, old spark plug wires, old/failing igniter or the Idle Air Control Valve. More than anything it just sounds like you need to take a step-by-step approach to covering these bases and tuning up your SC300's engine and electronics. To me none of it sounds serious at all.

There is also the option of running Seafoam to help clear up carbon deposits... assuming your electronics and plugs/cap/rotor/plug-wires, etc are all in order. I would google what is involved with that if you are not familiar.

Is your 1992 SC300 a factory automatic transmission car or a factory manual transmission car? And can you look on the underside lip of the hood and tell us if your car says "Federal Emissions" or "California Emissions"?

And you're very welcome! We want help people here continue to enjoy their SC's be they stock or modified.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 12-19-18 at 04:19 PM.