Register Forgot Password?

Auto Tilt Steering Wheel Fix

Old 07-19-14, 07:24 AM   #31
t2d2
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDisa View Post
Thank you for this post! My battery died the other day and when I got it charged up the wheel was stuck in the all the way up position. Im 5'4 so this is not a comfortable driving position for me. This looks like a really simple fix! So again, thank you!
I hate that the wheel returns to the highest position after reconnecting the battery. One of the recent times, the tilt motor nearly died on me while getting it back down to my desired position (took several hours of inching it along), so I'm going to unplug the motor for good before disconnecting the battery next time. Once it's at the desired level, I never change it.

I thought it would be a non-issue after that near-death experience, but then the motor started working again and it returned to the high position at the next battery disconnect... Was also working fine for re-lowering it, so maybe it just had a bad day, or maybe my worm gear fix slipped a bit. I just wish there were a way to repair the telescoping motor as easily! That one doesn't work at all on mine.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Old 08-26-14, 09:21 AM   #32
oldManTan
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)

The problem I'm having is the steering wheel doesn't move towards me or back, it moves up and down fine, how do i fix the forward and back movement?
oldManTan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-14, 09:45 AM   #33
t2d2
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldManTan View Post
The problem I'm having is the steering wheel doesn't move towards me or back, it moves up and down fine, how do i fix the forward and back movement?
Mine's the same way, and there's been virtually no information posted about that over the years, as far as I've been able to find. I assume it's a burnt out motor (I was able to inch it along a millimeter a day to get it somewhat close to me, so I know the controls work), but I've failed in my couple of attempts to reach the connector up under the dash, to unplug it and test the motor directly with battery power. I think you need to be double jointed to reach it.
Old 08-26-14, 08:36 PM   #34
oldManTan
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by t2d2 View Post
Mine's the same way, and there's been virtually no information posted about that over the years, as far as I've been able to find. I assume it's a burnt out motor (I was able to inch it along a millimeter a day to get it somewhat close to me, so I know the controls work), but I've failed in my couple of attempts to reach the connector up under the dash, to unplug it and test the motor directly with battery power. I think you need to be double jointed to reach it.
mine's really weird, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. today i took the clam shell steering cover off and when i was coming home from school it worked. and i was moving it back and forth to maybe see what's wrong and smoke started coming out from somewhere

i'm gonna try to look into it more when i have some time, but for now i turned the auto tilt off because it rarely works and i hate having the wheel far away
4300k HIDs, IS300 Steering wheel,
Cobra R Reps 17x9 DZ102 225,45,
hopefully a 5 speed swap in the near future Build Here
Custom Headlights Build

Last edited by oldManTan; 08-26-14 at 08:53 PM..
oldManTan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-14, 08:36 PM

Tags
1993, 300, auto, column, diy, fix, grinding, gx470, lexus, makes, noise, problem, sc, sc400, steering, tilt, wheel, working