SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Looking at a 92 SC400 w/83K miles...

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-10, 09:01 AM
lexus95
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

92s dont actually have fog lights. i dont think they started using actual fog lights till 95
Old 11-29-10, 09:07 AM
tftimm
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One of the previous owners may have done the front end conversion. I'm going to go to the University and see if I can find the car to I can get the VIN and maybe take a picture or two.

I really want to run a Carfax, unless you recommend a better form of verifying accidents, maintenance, etc.
Old 11-29-10, 09:54 AM
1SICSC4
Driver

If you can get it for 3k take it. You can check the CEL codes your self by jumping the E1 and TE1 terminal in the diagnostic port with a paper clip. Just use the search button in the forum to see how to and what the codes mean.
Old 11-29-10, 11:14 AM
tftimm
Pole Position

I'll probably stop by an Autozone when I'm on the test drive to see what the code is. Thanks again for the input and advice.
Old 11-29-10, 02:28 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Wow, that's not bad at all insurance wise.

Wished I lived closer so I could take a look at it for you - used to own a '94 SC4.
Old 11-29-10, 02:32 PM
tftimm
Pole Position

I was looking at insuring a 99 Taurus and it was the same. I'd much rather pay $3K for the SC than spend $2K fixing up a Taurus to have as a second vehicle. The Taurus may need transmission work, etc. I was going to get it for $500.

Anyone know if you can squeeze a car seat in the back of an SC? Normally we drive around town in our RX330, but if I had to, can you put a rear-facing car seat behind the passenger seat? It would be for very rare occasions.

By the way, the RX330 is a great chic SUV.

Last edited by tftimm; 11-29-10 at 02:41 PM.
Old 11-29-10, 05:01 PM
keskipper
Pole Position

I would advise to look at the cover that is on the underside of the engine (from the top, of course) as it collects fluids. Had I known this before I purchased mine, I would have recognized the a/c oil that was covering some parts of this engine cover and realized the compressor needed changing...luckily I found one one here for $60 (used) and installed it myself, saving a lot of $, but still, little things like that are what you should look for, and I didn't know until I learned the hard way...but I'll know next time! ;-) Also, give the power steering pump a good look, see if it's leaking and check the Lexus records to see if it has been re-sealed - there was a recall (mid-late 90s I think) to re-seal them as they were leaking onto the alternator (located just below the PS pump) and causing them to fail...

All that said, it sounds like a good deal to me in the $3K range...I picked up my 93 SC400 in April for $2,800 w/ 148,500 miles, it needed a few things, but was pretty well maintained and is my DD, and I love driving it daily...

That's my $.02
Old 11-29-10, 06:58 PM
tftimm
Pole Position

I'll bring a flashlight tomorrow morning to be sure I can see the undercover to see if there is any fluids since I'm sure the engine bay will be dark.

I'll take it on a test drive, stop by Autozone to check the engine light, take some pictures, and bring it back. If it all checks out and the car runs and feels solid, I'll begin negotiating. Hopefully I'll get to where I want and then run the VIN through lexus.com and a Carfax to be sure. It does have some cosmetic scratches, cracked light on the bottom of the front bumper, but I'm more worried about the mechanics of the car. The car is parked 80 yards from my condo, but as the owner said, he's at school so it hasn't been there all night.

He is using it now to go back and forth to school, about a 5 mile drive tops. He will need the car for a couple more weeks till he graduates. Since I don't "need" the car tomorrow, maybe I can negotiate and let him hold on to it until he graduates as long as he removes the "$" and phone number from the window and tells anyone that asks that he sold it. I don't feel comfortable giving him a dollar until I get the car and title in hand. I doubt he'll rag the S%$# out of it, my impression was that he is not that type of person and to me a first impression is important. We'll see.

I'm going to start at $2,700 or $3,000 depending on how the drive goes and what my gut tells me. I would settle for $3,200 if everything is clean and checks out as I hope it does.

Wish me luck and look for pictures tomorrow. I will also try and take a video with my camera and somehow post it or send it to people to give me there impressions of how it looks/sounds.

If you can't tell I'm a excited and nervous at the same time. The car in "good" condition KBB'd for more than $5,000.

Wish me luck and let me know anything else I should check.
Old 11-29-10, 08:38 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tftimm

Wish me luck and let me know anything else I should check.
Good luck

Check those butterflies in your stomach. People always make the worst decisions on purchases when they become emotionally attached prematurely; sometimes to the point of near blindness to obviously negative things that are right in front of their face (kinda the same with girlfriends too, lol). I've always made my best and most objective decisions when I was completely uninvested in the outcome and could walk away without feeling the least disappointed.

$.02
Old 11-29-10, 09:29 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Considering my brother has a 92 400 that runs as smooth as butter, I can take this one on a test drive for you and give my 2 cents worth on it. After all we live in the same town
Old 11-29-10, 09:59 PM
keskipper
Pole Position

Originally Posted by good2go
Good luck

Check those butterflies in your stomach. People always make the worst decisions on purchases when they become emotionally attached prematurely; sometimes to the point of near blindness to obviously negative things that are right in front of their face (kinda the same with girlfriends too, lol). I've always made my best and most objective decisions when I was completely uninvested in the outcome and could walk away without feeling the least disappointed.

$.02
+1...excellent advice.
Old 11-30-10, 08:09 AM
tftimm
Pole Position

Well, I took it for a test drive. Here is what I noticed:

Good
1. Motor and transmission were solid and smooth
2. No major interior rattles, everything seemed solid
4. LCD screens work, needle on temp gauge was out
5. He had the original manuals in glove box, car was bought in San Antonio
6. I have the VIN in case someone can run a free carfax

Bad
1. Lots of play in the steering wheel, something is not right
2. A creaking noise from the front end when turning, seemed like passenger side
3. Trac Off, check engine, and air bag light were always no. I hit the trac button and it did nothing, also the light above them that looks like rear lights was also on, couldn't figure out what it was
4. Mileage is 87223
5. Rattle at low RPM's, maybe the cat converter, it was intermitent

I told him that if he didn't sell it before he graduated and needed to sell it to give me a shout. I'm not really looking for a project car, although with such low miles, if I could get it for $1500-2000 and put the same amount into it, I'd get a nice low mileage SC for $3-4K.

I've got some pictures, and I will post them this evening.

Thoughts?
Old 11-30-10, 08:32 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That is a lot of dash warning lights. From what I gather you don't have a lot of auto mechanic skills. It would be a good idea to have everything checked out by a mechanic of your choice. Heck, even bring it by one that has always upcharged you. You're talking about $3,000+ dollars of your hard earned money. You wouldn't buy a house without an appraisal would you?
Old 11-30-10, 08:41 AM
tftimm
Pole Position

That is true. Good point...Thanks!
Old 11-30-10, 10:35 AM
tftimm
Pole Position

Default Pictures as promised...

Although I won't be making an offer, I thought I'd post some pictures anyways. It was my first time in an SC and I must say, what a great car. Now I understand why it has made various Top 10 Cars lists

URL=http://img716.imageshack.us/i/dsc00951dc.jpg/][/URL]
Note the lights. The car was on and in Park.

Interior is in pretty good shape.

Profile Shote

It has it a couple of curbs

Only considerable body damage.

Quick Reply: Looking at a 92 SC400 w/83K miles...