SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

NAKAMICHI wiring help!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-10, 06:23 PM
SC4hundo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NAKAMICHI wiring help!!

hey guys, i got my 95 sc400 with the nakamichi system. well, its time to upgrade the stuff that doesnt work witch is pretty much the whole thing lol.
i got my new headunit installed in the fit kit and everythings ready to go. I am already to put everything in but one thing stopped me short on my tracks. the wiring harness i got from crutchfield is either missing a couple of cables, or possibly they sent me the wrong one (i already called and checked and according to them its correct but idk).

what im trying to do:
trying to be able to send power to my new headunit so i need help in finding the power (red), ground (black), 12 volt? (yellow). im going to eventually rewire the whole thing so the speaker wires i can do/find myself. one step at a time right? lol. but yea, this is how my setup is right now:

HEADUNIT+HEADUNIT HARNESS--> CRUTCHFIELD HARNESS-->OEM HARNESS

it doesnt matter to me whether or not i use the crutchfield harness or not, like i said, if i can find the main power wires from the OEM harness i can soder them to the pioneer headunit harness and i'll be happy with that.

thanks for any help!!
Old 11-25-10, 06:52 PM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hit up the audio/video section. Theres a writeup on how to wire a aftermarket HU
Old 11-25-10, 08:05 PM
BenStoked
Lead Lap

use the appropriate harness. done too many head units in cars to wanna f*** around in a tight space with a solder iron and heat shrink.
with the harness, you lay them on the table, match colors, and work with plenty of free space. then just drop it all in the car.
Old 11-25-10, 08:49 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

The only wires I used from the metra kit was the positive, negative, remote, illumination and antena. As far as speaker wires go, you will have to run those separately straight from your head unit wiring kit instead of 4 rca outputs that were part of the metra kit. (This will solve all your headaches trust me)
So with that said I had to run all the 8 speaker wires to the trunk through center console under the carpet and the rear seat to the stock amp location.
Then using the Nakamichi wiring diagram, I located the 4 front speaker wires that were going from the stock amp(color coded), and connected the the fr+fr-, and fl+fl- from the hu to them.
The rear 4 wires were connected straight to the back speakers.
I hope that'll help you a little.
Your aftermarket hu is enough to push all 4 of your stock or upgraded speakers in factory location without an amp.(sub excluded)

Happy Thanksgiving!

Last edited by LEXXIUM; 11-25-10 at 08:57 PM.
Old 11-26-10, 03:25 PM
SC4hundo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXXIUM
The only wires I used from the metra kit was the positive, negative, remote, illumination and antena. As far as speaker wires go, you will have to run those separately straight from your head unit wiring kit instead of 4 rca outputs that were part of the metra kit. (This will solve all your headaches trust me)
So with that said I had to run all the 8 speaker wires to the trunk through center console under the carpet and the rear seat to the stock amp location.
Then using the Nakamichi wiring diagram, I located the 4 front speaker wires that were going from the stock amp(color coded), and connected the the fr+fr-, and fl+fl- from the hu to them.
The rear 4 wires were connected straight to the back speakers.
I hope that'll help you a little.
Your aftermarket hu is enough to push all 4 of your stock or upgraded speakers in factory location without an amp.(sub excluded)

Happy Thanksgiving!
that is very interesting and awesome at the same time. thats what i was thinking of doing; running the speaker wires straight from the headunit. atleast for now anyway. im going to take pics of my harnesses and if you can (i dont know if ours is the same color code for the wires) tell me which ones from the OEM harness did you use for the power, ground, remote, illumination and antena. thanks!
Old 11-26-10, 06:42 PM
BenStoked
Lead Lap

I think these should work. ground is wherever? still trying to find which pin.
Attached Thumbnails NAKAMICHI wiring help!!-radio1.jpg   NAKAMICHI wiring help!!-radio2.jpg  
Old 11-27-10, 08:58 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Check out, www.lextreme.com. they the complete wiring harness for nakamachi and pioneer sound system. Thats what i used for my install.