SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Would you trade your sc400 for a...

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-10, 12:10 AM
OaklandLex
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would I trade my sc400 for a 528i ? Definitely but if it was an sc3 that's a no go
Old 11-16-10, 08:25 AM
sc4lover
Driver School Candidate

The lexus more, reliable I hve 3dif models and they all been runin 4 2yrs straight
Old 11-16-10, 01:49 PM
Avarec
Lexus Test Driver

only bimmer id trade sc for would be mint e34 manual car, preferable the big six 535i
Old 11-16-10, 08:41 PM
lemaylexus
Driver

It's seven years newer and you already have problems with the sc. Plus you are sixteen so you probably don't have any money anyway, so repair ciosts are irrelevant for now. Take the BMW.
Old 11-17-10, 12:03 AM
GZZ-TT
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take into account if you have friends that you are going to be driving around with much. Being 16 I would imagine you do, but if you do not want to drive your friends around much keep the SC. If you like the styling more keep the SC, if you like the BMW more... take the BMW. I say formulating your own opinions is a part of growing up- unless you posted this to boast that you can get a 1998 BMW for free, then it's just kind of sad.
Old 12-11-10, 11:44 AM
BlackSteel
Rookie

So, its been a WHILE, and unfortunately not too much has happened regarding pics(SORRY!), but, and this will make u all sad, I have chosen the BMW, because my sc is still in the shop the guy thinks he has fixed it, but my dad is not too sure. He thinks that it is somewhat fixed but still a little weird. I heard the engine, but didnt get to drive it, and it was for some reason louder than normal, Im beginning to learn that engines can be a ***** to fix. So not much progress on the sc, when i first saw it again though I was amazed at how amazing it looks(i hadnt seen it in a while), but moving on to the bimmer, and for some ppl who have posted, it is a 2000 midnight blue 528i auto with 5spd tiptronic, it is an awesome car to drive lots of fun and lots of power for a 6 cyl., I am getting some deep dish mesh bmw wheels put on that are in great condition except for some curb rash, my dad found them at a salvage yard, and we have recently cut the bumper and installed a magnaflow 14816(i think) muffler, looks great sounds great, and the shop that cut the bumper did a really nice job. So wheels will go on when we have enough money to spend some on tires, around $550 for them, and the wheels are 17s no idea about any other specs though. So if i ever get pics i will definitely post them, but i dnt have a camera or a phone with internet or anyway of getting them on my computer right now, but hopefully soon. As far as the sc goes, it is still in the shop, and the guy might being working on it a little more, but my dad's not in any hurry to get it fixed, and he says we will probably keep it for now as a backup car, since it is not very reliable idk why i apparently have the only non-reliable one on here(only 100k miles), but that should get y'all up to speed, not too much has happened, but it is decided I now am the very proud owner of a 00' 528i. Woo! and no i am not a bragging person, I know i am a very fortunate person to own a car at 16, let alone 2(or 1 and a half) but thats all for now, thanks.
-Adam
Old 12-11-10, 01:30 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

I probably would've taken the BMW too. Good choice since you'll still have your SC around if you get the urge to drive it.
Old 12-11-10, 01:46 PM
BostonSC4
Lexus Test Driver

Good choice man. I made a similar move when picking up an e46 over the SC400.
Old 12-11-10, 05:28 PM
LunaVyohr
Lead Lap

Wow, your dad just gave you a BMW 5-series? ****, when I was sixteen, I drove around my family's 17 year old Jeep Grand Cherokee with like 270,000 miles on it. I'm still restoring that thing, actually. I think every young driver's first car should be a piece of **** deathtrap.

I wonder what your dad will say when you inevitably wreck it, because you're sixteen years old.
Old 12-11-10, 09:47 PM
BlackSteel
Rookie

Originally Posted by LunaVyohr
Wow, your dad just gave you a BMW 5-series? ****, when I was sixteen, I drove around my family's 17 year old Jeep Grand Cherokee with like 270,000 miles on it. I'm still restoring that thing, actually. I think every young driver's first car should be a piece of **** deathtrap.

I wonder what your dad will say when you inevitably wreck it, because you're sixteen years old.
Really? You think I'm some stuck up ***** that doesn't know how lucky i am to have a lexus or a bmw at 16, is it my fault that my dad thinks i deserve one, i get really tired of everyone *****ing about how I'm so young for these cars, how about the fact that my dad payed $6k for a $10k car? at least i like cars and have an interest in them, i wonder what you will say when your son is killed in a wreck in the piece of **** deathtrap u give him that he will inevitably wreck it cause he's 16.
Old 12-11-10, 09:54 PM
theory5150
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good choice chicks are gonna dig bmw..
Old 12-11-10, 10:01 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Typical 16 year old response.....I'm seventeen ha but while i'm glad you got the bmw, at least pay the 6 grand for it, i mean i was offered the car, but when you pay for it, its just a lot more fulfilling
Old 12-11-10, 10:10 PM
BlackSteel
Rookie

Originally Posted by gray_es300
Typical 16 year old response.....I'm seventeen ha but while i'm glad you got the bmw, at least pay the 6 grand for it, i mean i was offered the car, but when you pay for it, its just a lot more fulfilling
You dont even know me, ive saved up 3k already from the last 5 yrs or so(with no real job because of my age), i dont waste my money, i save it, if my dad really wanted me to i would buy my own car, but not that many kids have to buy their first car, i will put the money to good use and not just put it into a car, i will put it into an apartment or something when i am in college, of course a car that you saved and scraped to pay for will have a lot more sentimental value to it, and i know the value of money more than other 16 yr olds in my position would, im not stupid, dont mock me just because i didnt spend my own money on the car, its not like im throwing my money away on random ****
Old 12-11-10, 10:20 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

"LOOK AT ME>>> IM GETTING A BMW,"

"DO YOU guise know anything about a 2000 528i" - even though this is a Lexus forum and the SCx00 sub-section.

You claim to be so mature and responsible for your age, but if you were in fact you would've went into google and asked these BMW-related questions on a board like maxbimmer, for example.

But no, you decided to come on here and sub-consciously feel the need to flaunt that you're getting rid of an old *** SC400 for a BMW that's being given to you by your father... all the while you cannot handle the criticism received in return as you we're hoping that everyone on here will post up positive posts pertaining to how awesome you are for getting a 'free bmw'.

Two things; congrats on the BMW, and take it easy - its the internetz afterall, no need to get butthurt.
Old 12-11-10, 10:36 PM
BlackSteel
Rookie

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
"LOOK AT ME>>> IM GETTING A BMW,"

"DO YOU guise know anything about a 2000 528i" - even though this is a Lexus forum and the SCx00 sub-section.

You claim to be so mature and responsible for your age, but if you were in fact you would've went into google and asked these BMW-related questions on a board like maxbimmer, for example.

But no, you decided to come on here and sub-consciously feel the need to flaunt that you're getting rid of an old *** SC400 for a BMW that's being given to you by your father... all the while you cannot handle the criticism received in return as you we're hoping that everyone on here will post up positive posts pertaining to how awesome you are for getting a 'free bmw'.

Two things; congrats on the BMW, and take it easy - its the internetz afterall, no need to get butthurt.
Maybe next time u comment on a thread, u read it all, i started the thread when i first got the bmw and knew ABSOLUTELY nothing about it, so of course i turn to the supposedly vehicle enlightened members of CL, I started it to ask a simple question, "what are the differences between the two vehicles and what are the better qualities of each?" I didnt start the thread to brag about the FREAKING CAR, u make me want to go give to some homeless guy and buy a car with what cash i do have just to prove a point, i dont know why ppl believe it is so ridiculous to just give some reviews on the cars from their own personal experiences, and i thanks those of u that did, to those of u that see my situation as ridiculous and comical, and chose to just come on to this thread to whine about how the world is unfair and im BRAGGING about this, you are all ignorant, immature, idiots.

And also to the quoted person: do u not realize that i used to be a owner of a sc and a member of this forum, and that i posted this thread about an hour after my dad gave me the car, the bmw 528i is a much more common car than a lexus sc400, why would i go to a more common car's forum and ask about the differences between that car and a more rare car that probably no one on that forum had ever heard of, or i could do what i did and go to the forum that i am already a member of that know about this car extensively and ask if they any differences between the two cars, im sorry u dont think logically like me but thats ur problem, next time why dont u read a thread thoroughly before posting a bull**** comment like yours and think over what u say twice in case it make no sense

Quick Reply: Would you trade your sc400 for a...