SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

What did you do to your SC today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-14, 11:54 PM
I997sc3blk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looked on and cried

Put the red top battery that's been charging for like 3days back in an tryed to start it but failed, tranys dead an so is that expensive optima batt, sad sad sc3
Old 11-15-14, 01:31 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts

I shed 13 oz from the engine bay, removing the throttle and cruise control covers and grinding off a few of their mounting tabs. That puts my weight reduction efforts at a whopping 12 lbs even. Sub-3000 lbs, here I come!

Seriously, I can't imagine why I would ever want the throttle cover on -- it's just straight up inconvenient when doing any engine bay work -- and the cc cover isn't much more useful. Grime gets under there regardless, so I don't see it providing any protection other than from ham fisted mechanics needing somewhere to rest their elbows. I'm not a fan of the modern look of engine bays with everything covered by plastic shrouds.
Old 11-15-14, 02:29 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by t2d2
I shed 13 oz from the engine bay, removing the throttle and cruise control covers and grinding off a few of their mounting tabs. That puts my weight reduction efforts at a whopping 12 lbs even. Sub-3000 lbs, here I come!

Seriously, I can't imagine why I would ever want the throttle cover on -- it's just straight up inconvenient when doing any engine bay work -- and the cc cover isn't much more useful. Grime gets under there regardless, so I don't see it providing any protection other than from ham fisted mechanics needing somewhere to rest their elbows. I'm not a fan of the modern look of engine bays with everything covered by plastic shrouds.
The purpose of those covers are actually sound deadeners(especially on modern cars) besides making the engine bay look clean. Just like the fender liners. You might not like how it covers the engine, but people with OCD(like me) prefer it that way, not because I don't want to see the engine but it looks hella clean, besides, Lexus designed these cars not to be worked on so often anyways.
Old 11-15-14, 03:01 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KingPhilip
The purpose of those covers are actually sound deadeners(especially on modern cars) besides making the engine bay look clean. Just like the fender liners. You might not like how it covers the engine, but people with OCD(like me) prefer it that way, not because I don't want to see the engine but it looks hella clean, besides, Lexus designed these cars not to be worked on so often anyways.
No way do those tiny throttle/cruise covers do anything for noise reduction. There's not even anything there that makes noise... They're just covering throttle cable pivots. Now, the full engine covers on newer cars are a different matter. But if I wanted a quiet engine, I'd drive an electric!

There's not much on these cars that can be eliminated without sacrificing comfort, so if it serves no purpose, it's gone.
Old 11-15-14, 03:15 PM
ArodDaLob
Lexus Test Driver

put on my new jimmyup steering wheel. now my nardi can go in the 240.
Old 11-17-14, 08:16 AM
Murco
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Replaced the steering rack, hoses, tie-rod ends, power steering pump, fed and bled... The nastiest job I've done on a car in years!
Old 11-17-14, 09:51 AM
BeaksSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by KingPhilip
I'm with King. I like how the covers look, even repainted mine to freshen up the black when I was repainting various engine parts. Makes it look cleaner, 13 ounces isn't enough for me to take it off lol

---

Finally put in Calitri's fog light and swapped my city light tube with the one old man sent me. Hopefully the last time that headlight comes apart..
Old 11-17-14, 01:52 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BeaksSC
I'm with King. I like how the covers look, even repainted mine to freshen up the black when I was repainting various engine parts. Makes it look cleaner, 13 ounces isn't enough for me to take it off lol
Well then, you'll be happy to know that I shed an additional, related 12-13 oz today... I decided to do oldManTan's removal of the air box / resonator thingie below the intake elbow, and used the old cruise control cover to cut out a patch piece for the hole in the bottom. So, those two covers have now contributed to 26 oz of engine bay weight loss!

I will say, though, that I prefer the plug/wire and distributor covers on. It looks disshelved without them.
Old 11-17-14, 02:24 PM
soardrft
Lead Lap

Went to the track for a test and tune.
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your SC today?-car.png  
Old 11-17-14, 03:19 PM
BeaksSC
Pole Position

Well then, you'll be happy to know that I shed an additional, related 12-13 oz today... I decided to do oldManTan's removal of the air box / resonator thingie below the intake elbow, and used the old cruise control cover to cut out a patch piece for the hole in the bottom. So, those two covers have now contributed to 26 oz of engine bay weight loss!

I will say, though, that I prefer the plug/wire and distributor covers on. It looks disshelved without them.
Nice lol you're getting there. What are getting rid of weight for? Just because? And we have different opinions again lolol I left my wire covers off. I like the look of my blue ngk wires and plug they're longer than oem so when I had them on the first time, one of the wires lost a fight with the cam gear because they were tucked in there... So they became a part of the random parts pile in the garage cabinets.
Old 11-17-14, 03:47 PM
monkeyboy8
Driver

i bought a proefi 48 today !! yay for me !!
Old 11-17-14, 04:25 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BeaksSC
Nice lol you're getting there. What are getting rid of weight for? Just because?
I've waffled a bit, but my gut feeling is, I'll be happiest with this car long term if I keep it stock. There's plenty of power on tap, it just needs to be made more responsive. The A/T solenoid bypass helped a ton with that, so now I'm turning my attention to "adding lightness" wherever possible. I think at sub-3500 lbs (cutting 120 lbs or so), it'll be about as good of a balance of performance, comfort, and maintenance-free reliability as I can hope for.

I've cut 30-50 lbs so far -- the big range being due to a few things that haven't been weighed, since I don't have the original items to compare to (wheels, bigger battery, stock head unit, trunk carpet, etc.) -- and have an easy 40+ lbs additional lined up. After that, it gets a bit tougher, especially up front where less can be removed. Every little bit counts!
Old 11-17-14, 04:51 PM
pur4orm
Driver

Today we r being prepped for a "Super Exotic" paint job. Pics r showing before and after fenders rolled and pulled 2". The painting is a real process, lol.
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your SC today?-img_0461.jpg   What did you do to your SC today?-img_9013.jpg   What did you do to your SC today?-img_1111.jpg   What did you do to your SC today?-img_2338.jpg   What did you do to your SC today?-img_0493.jpg  

Old 11-17-14, 10:48 PM
skeet92
Rookie

Talking

change out some beat up interior pieces with some newer pieces I got over the weekend.
Old 11-18-14, 09:27 AM
sunny416
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Bride

Bought an authentic bride seat. now need to buy a seat rail for my sc400.
What did you do to your SC today?-ifbq0e6.jpg

Last edited by sunny416; 11-18-14 at 09:49 AM.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your SC today?