SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

What did you do to your SC today?

Old 09-26-14, 01:02 AM
daM00ke
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BFI and MAF cleaning

Woke up this morning and decided i would do the BFI mod today. Frist real mod im doing to the car. Just bought last week. Definitely happy with the purr the car has at 4-5k RPM now While i had the headlight and intake housing out i replaced a couple bulbs and also cleaned my MAF sensor with some compressed air. Checking sparks and possibly plastidipping rims tomorrow.
Old 09-26-14, 05:58 AM
BeaksSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by t2d2
^ You can buy cup holders like that for a few bucks. I thought about velcroing one to the passenger side of the transmission tunnel. For $30 or so, you can also get double cup holders from a Porsche that would get screwed down to something.
lol yeah I know
Old 09-26-14, 06:17 AM
net4n6
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I "lubricated" all the rubber seals with shi etsu grease.
Old 09-26-14, 08:01 AM
10thMtnLex
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

RE: Those cup holders... See 1980's Volkswagen Vanagons. My '88 has 7 of those sprinkled throughout the interior. Adjustable 'C' shaped upper ring allows variable fitment, and simulated wood grain! They are designed to mount vertically (attached to the wall in the interior), goes great with the flip-up picnic table.
Old 09-26-14, 10:22 AM
BeaksSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 10thMtnLex
RE: Those cup holders... See 1980's Volkswagen Vanagons. My '88 has 7 of those sprinkled throughout the interior. Adjustable 'C' shaped upper ring allows variable fitment, and simulated wood grain! They are designed to mount vertically (attached to the wall in the interior), goes great with the flip-up picnic table.
hahahaha

Like this?

Guess I'm 30 years behind, just winged it lol. Oh well, getting off topic for this thread
Old 09-26-14, 01:40 PM
White97SC4
Driver School Candidate

Default RE: What did you do to your SC today? :cool:

Getting ready to wash my "dirt-ball" for H20int.

-White97sc4
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your SC today?-dsc_0025.jpg  
Old 09-27-14, 09:02 AM
Boergy
Advanced

Received 111 Likes on 60 Posts

little testdrive today with a video from outside

Old 09-27-14, 03:08 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts

I doubt a ton of people peruse the Audio forum regularly, so I'll post a link to it here.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...necessary.html

6.5" rear deck speakers with no modifications necessary

After all the projects that took way longer than planned, I was so over-due for one that was soooooo much easier than expected.
Old 09-27-14, 11:30 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Drove it from Nashville to Columbus OH and back. Put 800 miles on it in 3 days. As always, she performed like a champ, although I did have to come to a sudden stop on the freeway(like full force braking) and felt like the brakes were rather weak, just barely managed to keep from hitting the car in front of me.

I've kind of thought the brake pedal felt soft for the past few months if you push down hard on it. I'm thinking at 81k miles, I'm due a set of pads, as I have a "complete" service history for the car and haven't seen any reciepts for brake work.
Old 09-28-14, 12:02 AM
Twirl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Drove it from Nashville to Columbus OH and back. Put 800 miles on it in 3 days. As always, she performed like a champ, although I did have to come to a sudden stop on the freeway(like full force braking) and felt like the brakes were rather weak, just barely managed to keep from hitting the car in front of me.

I've kind of thought the brake pedal felt soft for the past few months if you push down hard on it. I'm thinking at 81k miles, I'm due a set of pads, as I have a "complete" service history for the car and haven't seen any reciepts for brake work.
the stock braking system is notoriously weak and nearly unsafe for these heavy cars. Brakes are normally among the first upgrades that is truly necessary on our cars...Welcome to owning a luxury tank.
Old 09-28-14, 05:45 AM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by t2d2
Gave my stereo/console area a bit of a face lift and added new wiper blades. The "old" mount is from a pile of parts I bought off a local guy. It was much better than what came with the car, which was the single DIN deck haphazardly pinched between the stock brackets, with the pocket in the "new" mount sort of in place below it.

I initially tried cutting a single piece of metal to shape, but I didn't like the mounting options at that point and eventually decided it worked best to flush mount the stereo and have the detachable face stick out. That way, it fits the factory brackets perfectly and makes the Metra H00-8000 pocket (new Toyota/Lexus pocket appears to be #88-00-8000) cinch up tightly below it and flush with the main body of the stereo.

I had hoped to cover all that flushed background stuff with another trim piece with a uniform look, but it proved more difficult than it was worth to get all the cutouts right, so I just filled the bottom 1" gap with material from a DVD case (against a more solid backing).

The icing on the cake was adding a couple toggle switches at the back of the pocket, salvaged from some old server equipment. One is for the A/T solenoid bypass, while the other is currently unused. Both have quick disconnects in the back. There's just enough room to reach the back of the pocket and operate them. I was pretty pleased with myself, being able to incorporate a pocket and toggle switches, without having to modify any factory panels.

Now that I've written all of that, I'm thinking I should have put it in its own thread... Oh well, hopefully someone will find it useful before it gets buried here.
Kinda puzzled why you did this opposed to just buying the Metra 99-8157B... It's like $15 shipped for perfect fit and look. You could easily make cut outs for the toggle switches as well.

I had one in my current SC before I upgraded to a double din and it worked perfect as well as looked perfect. Sometimes I actually miss the single din for the cutout as it was a great place for my wallet or cell phone.
Old 09-28-14, 07:33 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Biddles
Kinda puzzled why you did this opposed to just buying the Metra 99-8157B... It's like $15 shipped for perfect fit and look. You could easily make cut outs for the toggle switches as well.

I had one in my current SC before I upgraded to a double din and it worked perfect as well as looked perfect. Sometimes I actually miss the single din for the cutout as it was a great place for my wallet or cell phone.
I thought about that but didn't care for the supposed fragility of it and need to brace it up. Maybe that's been overstated? Most of what I've seen from Metra I want nothing to do with long-term, although ironically, I re-used the Metra pocket.

It is nice having the pocket back. It's a much more convenient place to set something temporarily than the center or door arm rests, which are less accessible while driving.
Old 09-29-14, 12:16 PM
GISguy
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Is there a peppy dual-clutch auto transmission compatible with the 1/2JZ?
Old 09-29-14, 12:21 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Gave the SC a oil change today with Valvoline SYNPower 10W-30 and Tundra Oil filter.....6 quarts is perfect with the larger oil filter
Old 09-29-14, 02:47 PM
BeaksSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by addisonblc
Just installed a 1995 gs300 arm rest in my car so I could use the extra cup holders. I'd post pics but I'm not near my comp. I'll post pics if anybody is interested.
Any pics of that? I'm interested in our how it came out fitment wise especially

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What did you do to your SC today?