SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Sorry to make this thread, cluster question...

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-10, 08:29 PM
T4-Teg
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sorry to make this thread, cluster question...

OK So for the past hour I've been searching for the answers. Every damn thread has some people saying this, and others saying that.

I'm trying to replace the bulbs and needles in my cluster. I will be doing the labor myself, its not my first rodeo. I really need to know what size bulbs it takes, and where to buy the bulbs and needles without paying dealership prices.

To be honest, I really dont care if its "spotty", its damn sure not a show car. In most of the threads I see O.L.T. saying the information is in the sticky in this section. I have still yet to find it. I see some threads about bulbs, pertaining to A/C unit, and whatnot, but not a clear damn answer on the bulbs/needles.

Ive seen people say they are 165, 195, T1.5, ect... Can we please get a seperate sticky for the correct information to rebuild these clusters w/o talking about brightness, climate control, ect.. Just straight forward answers on what bulbs, where to find them, and where to find the needles. Hell we can even have a writeup for the R&R, pics of different color bulbs, or whatever. I would really just like to see a seperate topic for the CLUSTER REBUILD, CLUSTER BULBS AND NEEDLES without all this BS about how it will be spotty, or whatever.

/rant ... Flame suit on for the haters

EDIT: New info.

Cluster bulbs are NOT 194's. The are actually size 24 for the standard halogen bulbs. You will use size 74 if you want to use LED bulbs.

As far as the needles by themselves, I have yet to find them...

Last edited by T4-Teg; 11-04-10 at 07:11 AM.
Old 10-28-10, 08:31 PM
T4-Teg
Driver

.. Or maybe someone can just proove that im a dumbass and dont know how to search, and show me the correct thread with all this info in it? IDK, maybe im just retarted and cant find it, its a damn good possibility...

-Mike
Old 10-28-10, 08:51 PM
MattStarr
Lead Lap

the bulbs in your cluster are 194, no if's and's or but's about it. Theres 8 of them to illuminate the gauges and 2 194's for turn signals. Im pretty sure all the other cluster indicators are a mix of 194 and and 74. I just order my 194s from VLED a couple days ago so they should be in soon. When I put them Ill take note of which indicators are 194 and 74 to help clarify.

I've looked everywhere for needles and so far this is the only place I can find them for a somewhat reasonable price.
http://lextech.org/osCommerce/index....e952d0bf6c74ea

Just so everyone knows, every toyota or lexus ever made uses 194's as the primary cluster illumination with the exception of vehicles using cathodes or leds.
Old 10-29-10, 05:47 AM
T4-Teg
Driver

Awesome good info. Thats exactly what I wanted to hear. Lextech is going to be the place for the needles, and Ill find somewhere for the bulbs.

Another question, I've heard a few people say that only Sylvania bulbs fit correctly? Any truth to that?

EDIT: It looks like the needles on Lextech are not for sale themselves? It seems to be a service with you sending them your cluster, they repair it and send it back? Atleast thats what it says in the info box...

Last edited by T4-Teg; 11-04-10 at 07:11 AM.
Old 10-29-10, 11:52 AM
MattStarr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by T4-Teg
Awesome good info. Thats exactly what I wanted to hear. Lextech is going to be the place for the needles, and Ill find somewhere for the 194 bulbs.

Another question, I've heard a few people say that only Sylvania bulbs fit correctly? Any truth to that?

EDIT: It looks like the needles on Lextech are not for sale themselves? It seems to be a service with you sending them your cluster, they repair it and send it back? Atleast thats what it says in the info box...
Any 194 bulb will fit. Whoever said that was on drugs or something. If you want to replace your bulbs with standard oem bulbs again then just get some sylvania bubls but if you want to do led's get them here: http://www.v-leds.com/Shop/Control/fp/SFV/32481 A lot of people buy from superbrightled and I can say first hand that their product and customer service is garbage. Ive replaced the cluster lights with leds in well over 100 car now and have used vled every time with no problem and amazing customer service.

I didnt know that about lextech. I just knew that was the place.
Old 10-30-10, 04:22 AM
clarksmc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome good info. Thats exactly what I wanted to hear. Lextech is going to be the place for the needles, and Ill find somewhere for the 194 bulbs.

EDIT: It looks like the needles on Lextech are not for sale themselves? It seems to be a service with you sending them your cluster, they repair it and send it back? At least thats what it says in the info box...
It appears that LexTec replaces all of the cluster bulbs. Are the needles lighted seperately or are they self lighted needles and thus burn out seperately?
Anyone have the trick for removing the cluster?
Old 10-30-10, 08:47 AM
T4-Teg
Driver

Lextech replaces whatever you need done I believe. The lights and the needles burn out seperatly. There are 8 backlights and 4 needles, plus the warning indicators, turn signals, ect..

The cluster is easy to remove, you just gotta make sure the steering wheel is all the way out first, then take out the bezel (sp?) (its the plastic trim piece that goes around the cluster) first, then you can gain access to the screws holding the cluster itsself in. When you take those out, you have to unclip all the wiring going to the cluter, then remove it.

Does anyone have any others options for the needles?
Old 10-30-10, 09:14 AM
clarksmc
Driver School Candidate

Lextech replaces whatever you need done I believe. The lights and the needles burn out seperatly. There are 8 backlights and 4 needles, plus the warning indicators, turn signals, ect..

The cluster is easy to remove, you just gotta make sure the steering wheel is all the way out first, then take out the bezel (sp?) (its the plastic trim piece that goes around the cluster) first, then you can gain access to the screws holding the cluster itsself in. When you take those out, you have to unclip all the wiring going to the cluter, then remove it.

Does anyone have any others options for the needles?
Thank you very much. That was clean and clear. Does anyone know if Lexus sells replacement needles? And if its a simple pull it of and put the new one on?
Old 10-30-10, 10:34 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Lexus does not sell just the needles, as least they didnt 2 years ago when I won mine form OLT on here. Check my DIY on here when I redid mine cluster.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...-lighting.html.

I have since then replaced the 8 bulbs size 24 with LEDS from www.superbrightleds.com, but using these, you get some spotty lighting during the day, but very cool looking at night. PM me for more info
Old 10-30-10, 02:21 PM
clarksmc
Driver School Candidate

Once you have the cluster apart.....do the needles simply snap off or are they screwed on somehow????
Old 10-30-10, 06:16 PM
T4-Teg
Driver

^ That im not sure of yet, Im still gathering parts. Once I get into it, ill snap some pics for ya though..

Has anyone found needles for sale? Or does everyone just send the clusters to LexTech for needles?
Old 10-31-10, 04:16 AM
clarksmc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1992Lexus
Lexus does not sell just the needles, as least they didnt 2 years ago when I won mine form OLT on here. Check my DIY on here when I redid mine cluster.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...-lighting.html.

I have since then replaced the 8 bulbs size 24 with LEDS from www.superbrightleds.com, but using these, you get some spotty lighting during the day, but very cool looking at night. PM me for more info
Are the cluster bulbs #24, someone just said #194?
Old 10-31-10, 11:40 AM
T4-Teg
Driver

I believe the size #74 are for LED's, and 24 are for the standard bulbs.

Last edited by T4-Teg; 11-04-10 at 07:12 AM.
Old 11-04-10, 07:16 AM
T4-Teg
Driver

OK I just got a PM from MattStarr and the 194 bulbs are incorrect. The correct size for the cluster backlighting is #24 (for standard halogen bulbs) or size #74 for LED bulbs.

Below is a link to the correct LED bulbs for the backlighting.

You will need to order a quantity of 4 for whatever you get cause they come in pairs

White: http://www.v-leds.com/Interior-LED/G...98403-1-2.html
Blue: http://www.v-leds.com/Interior-LED/G...98444-1-2.html
Red: http://www.v-leds.com/Interior-LED/G...98446-1-2.html
Amber: http://www.v-leds.com/Interior-LED/H...31618-1-2.html
Green: http://www.v-leds.com/Interior-LED/G...98445-1-2.html
Ultra Voilet: http://www.v-leds.com/Interior-LED/G...14834-1-2.html

(*disclaimer* I am in no way advising or recommending the use of V-leds.com. I am solely using their links to show pictures of the correct backlighting bulbs, I have no affiliation with them.)