Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

10" Subwoofer install in stock location (PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-12, 09:36 PM
pieisgude
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 92lexi
Well i went out to see what was up with my stock sub (pioneer system) and the amp on the rear deck is for your reg speakers. And i notoced my sub has the wires cut and just hanging so thats why my sub dont work for now
The amp underneath the rear deck cover is actually the subwoofer amp, at least it is for 92-98 pioneer systems. The amp underneath the changer is the speaker amp. Also, regarding the size questions, my 98 had a 10" factory with the pioneer system, so it's hard to say definitively which has an 8" and which has a 10" (nak or pioneer).

I also tried this method of putting an aftermarket woofer in the rear deck, but it just didn't sound right. I used an Infinity Kappa 104.7w that i had lying around and you could tell that it needed a box. I guess it's just my sub though. I'm gonna try this again for sure though..
Old 03-01-12, 10:25 PM
SpecialK47
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How does getting to the spare work out with the box in the trunk?
Old 03-01-12, 11:43 PM
Devor
Pit Crew

Have a stock 1993 Sc300 system and want it out! I already swapped out the Headunit to a new alpine unit. I had that box you guys were talking about in a previous sc300 but since sold it with the car. This time I wanna swap out the stock sub in my rear dash. I believe its the 8' inch sub but i think I can fit a 10' JL in insted? I tore apart my old stock sub I had in my 95sc300 but the framing to the mounting bracket appears to be different. Anyone done this swap on a sc300 with the stock Pioneer system?
Old 03-02-12, 06:39 AM
pieisgude
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, i did it with my factory Pioneer, but mine was a 10".
Old 03-02-12, 02:06 PM
fliaznguy
Rookie

I'm glad I stumbled across this. I am new to the SC series and and as such, I didn't even know that there was a factory sub in the car. I'm going to check it out now. It makes replacement a lot easier now and knowing though. Thanks.
Old 03-05-12, 01:19 PM
BradHoff
Driver

Originally Posted by Devor
Have a stock 1993 Sc300 system and want it out! I already swapped out the Headunit to a new alpine unit. I had that box you guys were talking about in a previous sc300 but since sold it with the car. This time I wanna swap out the stock sub in my rear dash. I believe its the 8' inch sub but i think I can fit a 10' JL in insted? I tore apart my old stock sub I had in my 95sc300 but the framing to the mounting bracket appears to be different. Anyone done this swap on a sc300 with the stock Pioneer system?
i have a 95 sc400 with the pioneer system and my stock subwoofer is 8inch. im in the process of replacing it with a 500watt JL audio 10w3v3-2 and it fits perfectly in the opening...except for it hitting the gas tank. Im doing what others did and re-using the black O-ring but it still needs to be put up another inch. Also i was at a buds sound shop and they recommended making a box around the gas tank and filling it with poly because it is free air. Im up for the challange and ill see if the box really helps.
Old 03-09-12, 04:09 AM
fliaznguy
Rookie

I have now performed this same mod with a couple of small changes. The only part of the preexisting sub that I would up using was the physical metal bracket. My JL sub simply screwed onto said bracket. From there, I simply bolted the 4 10mm bolts back down after connecting the wiring and it was good to go. I actually did have a little bit of a clearance issue with the connectors on the sub. I simply gently bent the bracket inward towards the center of the sub and it was good to go.
Old 01-14-14, 01:00 AM
Elisc400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LEXXIUM
Updated with more pics 10/28/10

Hey Whats up guys.

I thought its my turn to contribute something to this forum.

Last week I finaly got time around to install a 10" JL sub in a rear of the deck. Its very simple and you can run an aftermarket amp as well.
The bass is very clean and punchy without any rattles, low base will shake you nice and sound quality as great. I have a 2 4" jl's on each side of the sub.

Step 1 remove your factory sub from stock location.
Step 2 rip out the speaker cone frome the speaker(you should end up like in this pic)

Step 3 Cut off the 4 structual suport arms from the magnet to the O-ring(Made out of aluminum, becarefull not to damage the plastic mounting tabs (You'll reuse the O-ring part)

Bellow is pic of the subwoofer thats going in.

Step 4 predrill a pilot holes on a top of a suboofer plastic O-ring coordinating with aftermarket subwoofer mounting holes.

Step 5 (Is optional and a longer step)I separated the plastic top ring from the metal portion of a O ring, sanded down both sides and glued them back with epoxy to solidify and seal everything.
The SC400 stock heavy rotor is placed on top for superior adhesion.

Step 6 Place a subwoofer on the O ring, making sure everything is even on each side, and using a short self mounting screws attach the sub to a ring assembly by simply using a screw driver

Step 7 Reinstall the sub assembly back in the original the location, and plug in the harness.

The cover does not fit over an aftermarket sub, I am working on that right now

This is whats pushing it, I removed the stock amp and cd changer to mount my Alpine mrp500

The subwoofer clears gas tank by a 1/2" to 3/4".
I didnt want a box in the trunk because of the weight and space, so this was the only way to go.
I am glad I did it!
Any damage to the rear window ? I'm doing one on mine
Old 01-14-14, 08:30 AM
bigwes
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by keskipper
I did almost exactly the same thing to mine in May, except for step 4 - and a cheap 300W amp (bridged), and it sounds very good...nice job & pics

Only thing, my cover fit right back over the JL...weird
this is random but i like your sig at the bottom
Old 01-14-14, 09:07 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I used a kicker on the deck and the cover fits right over it, but I don't have a pic with the cover on.
I dont think I used that plastic ring so the sub sits a little lower.
I may have used some 2 sided tape between sub and plate for rattles and to raise it a hair, can't remember exactly.

you can use most subs in free air with enough amps through it, but the ones with stiffer cones work the best in free air.
from this thread has alot of pics
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ml#post5830892
Old 01-14-14, 06:25 PM
pieisgude
Lexus Test Driver

I'm pretty sure you're the reason why i have that exact same setup!
Old 01-15-14, 06:36 PM
mnewxcv
Lead Lap

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

question: could you have used the factory sub amp for something like that?
Old 01-16-14, 11:10 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I would think in free air the factory amp wouldn't cut it, but maybe in a box it may sound alright.
worth a test I suppose.
Old 01-21-14, 05:54 PM
ScWift92
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Cranbery
Go figure that as soon as I posted the above post, a knock at my door from the friendly neighborhood UPS guy. I ordered a few weeks ago the subwoofer box from sonix enclosures (which they did an excellent job - very impressed) and I decided after I ordered it I was going to leave the sub open in the car. I'm thinking about selling it but now that I see it in the car, it actually saves a lot of trunk space still and looks really clean. What do you guys think?

The only things I would say is that the felt doesn't match, but that's easily changed - and the little crack inside the box - it came like that. Not really a big deal to me, not gonna see that ever.
Where Can I Buy This Box?
Old 04-09-14, 09:20 PM
Br4den
Rookie

sorry for bumping this and being dumb, but where did that plastic ring come from? was it part of the old subwoofer or was it bought separately?

Quick Reply: 10" Subwoofer install in stock location (PICS)