Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > SC Models > SC 400/300
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

10" Subwoofer install in stock location (PICS)

Old 10-19-10, 11:53 PM   #16
LEX_MAN
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (2)

Niiice !!! you dont take breaks do you?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Old 10-20-10, 12:17 AM   #17
P.R.S.22
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (6)

I put a 10" pioneer sub in the stock location but placed a piece of wood underneath the sub in order to raise it up a bit and have something flush to sit on. After that I just had my upholster leave some extra fabric around the sub to stuff underneath it, that way it would look completely stock.

Oh and my sub is not a free-air sub either. For the SC you don't have to put a free-air sub in the stock location as long as the depth of the sub is not astronomically deep (which most new subs are not). Pic of my sub in the stock location for reference.

Click the image to open in full size.

Bright White LED interior kit, 20" Status Knight 5 spoke: 8.5 f 10 r, Supra Tokico/Eibachs, Magnaflow 14829's, Blacked out chrome window trim, JDM Clear/Red Tailights, Custom side mirrors, Honda S2K Antenna, Fujin VIP Front Lip, Injen intake, LS/TT BBK with Lexus logos, Three Spoke Steering Wheel, Black/Tan interior with black wood vinyl, Carputer, GS Door Sills, Clear Sidemarkers

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/build-threads/366258-pics-of-my-97-sc300-in-the-813-a.html Progress pics of the car.
P.R.S.22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-10, 03:17 AM   #18
LXLUTHR
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (19)

How does this set up sound as far as bass goes? Big difference from stock? Stock Nakamichi bumps already, how much better does this setup sound?
LXLUTHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-10, 08:56 AM   #19
LEXXIUM
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (1)

Thanks for your comments guys!
I don't know if the sub is free air compatible, but because the way it sounds is unbelievable.

I'll try to post a video tonight

2K SC400 BFI+K/N//SUPRA TEINS S TECH+BILSTEIN HD//18x8F,9.5R ENKEI RPF1//LS400BBK+SLOTTED//MAGNAFLOWS//MOMO ST. WHEEL//DENSO //ALPINE //DDM HIDS//AMP+JL10"SUB///BATTERY RELOCATED//5SPEED ON THE WAY, ONE DAY!!
LEXXIUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-10, 11:55 AM   #20
ALLWiTE2JZ
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)

Aren't some of the stock SC subs in some model years 8" and some are 10"? I thought that was the rule of thumb here? I have a 94 SC300 and I just bought an 8" shallow mount Pioneer sub, does anyone know if it will fit or did I buy the wrong size? Oh, and will the sub I bought get enough power off of the stock amp?
ALLWiTE2JZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-10, 01:09 PM   #21
Hbro
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (4)

I just put in a Morel CAW938 SUB. This is designed for "free-air installs (high Q factor).
I removed the stock mounting bracket and mounted it to a wood baffle.
I am very happy with the performance.
Hbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-10, 01:30 PM   #22
Photon440
Pole Position
Trader Score: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLWiTE2JZ View Post
Aren't some of the stock SC subs in some model years 8" and some are 10"? I thought that was the rule of thumb here? I have a 94 SC300 and I just bought an 8" shallow mount Pioneer sub, does anyone know if it will fit or did I buy the wrong size? Oh, and will the sub I bought get enough power off of the stock amp?
I've seen both sizes mentioned as well. Maybe it makes a difference whether it's the Pioneer or Nakamichi head unit. My Nak has a 10" (1995)

The stock Nakamichi amp is 40 watts per channel and 100 watts for the sub.

-=Photon=-
Old 10-20-10, 01:32 PM   #23
Ali SC3
Na-T Guru
Trader Score: (10)

the stock subs are junk, no matter the size, as well as the stock amp.
replacing both will give you much better bass

1995 Lexus SC300 5spd Na-T ( TT Ecu Mod + a few others)
Ali SC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-10, 01:33 PM   #24
P.R.S.22
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVS17 View Post
How does this set up sound as far as bass goes? Big difference from stock? Stock Nakamichi bumps already, how much better does this setup sound?
I'd say it sounds better than stock. I loved the Nakamichi setup and the bass on that was great for stock, but going aftermarket 10" will give you more capability to really "punch" it if you so desire I would say.

Overall is not a bad choice since 10" subs are pretty cheap nowadays.

Bright White LED interior kit, 20" Status Knight 5 spoke: 8.5 f 10 r, Supra Tokico/Eibachs, Magnaflow 14829's, Blacked out chrome window trim, JDM Clear/Red Tailights, Custom side mirrors, Honda S2K Antenna, Fujin VIP Front Lip, Injen intake, LS/TT BBK with Lexus logos, Three Spoke Steering Wheel, Black/Tan interior with black wood vinyl, Carputer, GS Door Sills, Clear Sidemarkers

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366258 Progress pics of the car.
Old 10-20-10, 02:09 PM   #25
booga
Pole Position

Has anyone replaced the center rear sub with one that fits in there allowing the cover to fit?

1993 SC300 5 Speed Manual Pearl White - stock for now
Around 120k miles on the clock and I expect double that.

1993 SC300 Automatic
booga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-10, 03:16 PM   #26
ALLWiTE2JZ
Lead Lap

So just to clarify, my 94 SC300 came with the regular pioneer sound system, not the nakamichi. So does that mean my stock sub diameter is 8" instead of the 10"?
ALLWiTE2JZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-10, 12:03 AM   #27
P.R.S.22
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by booga View Post
Has anyone replaced the center rear sub with one that fits in there allowing the cover to fit?
Unfortunately I do not think it is possible since most aftermarket subs are pretty big and plus its nice to show it off inside your interior if it looks nice When I was in the process of making the change I thought the whole time I was going to be able to put the cover back on but once I was about to put the cover back it just didn't fit because the sub is just too tall. Oh well....

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366258 Progress pics of the car.
Old 10-21-10, 12:14 AM   #28
SC510
Pole Position

so that's what i'm missing, and here i thought i was missing a speaker but in reality it was a stock sub. out of curiousity how were able to get the cd player to work w/o the stock amp? cuz apparently when i had mine installed i had to get it rewired to the stock amp.
SC510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-10, 04:10 PM   #29
booga
Pole Position

P.R.S.22 and All,

The stock Subwoofer in my 93 SC300 is not working. I suspect the AMP may be the issue which I have not yet tested.

Where is the AMP which powers the rear Sub?

I saw that you replaced the sub on your car, and judging from your SC build thread, I am hoping that you took pictures along the way which I might be able to use as a guide.

1993 SC300 5 Speed Manual Pearl White - stock for now
Around 120k miles on the clock and I expect double that.

1993 SC300 Automatic
booga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-10, 08:29 PM   #30
P.R.S.22
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by booga View Post
P.R.S.22 and All,

The stock Subwoofer in my 93 SC300 is not working. I suspect the AMP may be the issue which I have not yet tested.

Where is the AMP which powers the rear Sub?

I saw that you replaced the sub on your car, and judging from your SC build thread, I am hoping that you took pictures along the way which I might be able to use as a guide.
There are two amps in the SC, one is underneath the cd changer and the other is underneath the rear speakers. You need to pull out the cover in the trunk of the car hiding the gas tank in order to see it but it should be there.

Can't remember which amp goes to the sub and which goes to the speakers but I'm sure you can test them to see if they are working properly or not.

Old 10-22-10, 08:29 PM