SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Help with dash removal.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-10, 10:54 AM
Vadim540i
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Help with dash removal.

I'm removing the dash to paint it, I removed lower dash driver's and passenger's side (including glovebox, and center console). I don't know how to remove upper dash. I've searched and found one DIY but it's for old ones, mine is 97 and I don't have those bolts as shown in the pics. Can anybody help me with 97+ upper dash removal?
Old 10-08-10, 11:09 AM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The DIY should work. I've removed a dash from a 92 and a 99 using that guide. Also, I put a 95 dash into my 99 so that leads me to assume the dashes are the same. Only difference would be whether or not you have a passenger airbag and if the wood trim is one piece or segmented

Which bolts in particular are you saying you don't have?
Old 10-08-10, 11:38 AM
MIGS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the top part of the dash has a wiring harness that u have to loosen/remove before u can even remove the dash itself. the harness is held in place by some clips and ancient pink factory tape that u will need to cut(and i recommend using zipties as the replacement when u put it back).

i did this 1 time when i removed my dash to paint it with SEM, and never again will i remove that dash, lol. its pretty easy, just a PITA.

Last edited by MIGS; 10-08-10 at 11:43 AM.
Old 10-08-10, 11:45 AM
Vadim540i
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hil
The DIY should work. I've removed a dash from a 92 and a 99 using that guide. Also, I put a 95 dash into my 99 so that leads me to assume the dashes are the same. Only difference would be whether or not you have a passenger airbag and if the wood trim is one piece or segmented

Which bolts in particular are you saying you don't have?
The wood piece. It's single piece and I do have the pass airbag. The wood piece doesn't have bolts underneath, how do I remove it? I remember you did your upper dash swap not long ago, do you still have the pics?

Last edited by Vadim540i; 10-08-10 at 11:48 AM.
Old 10-08-10, 11:47 AM
Vadim540i
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MIGS

i did this 1 time when i removed my dash to paint it with SEM, and never again will i remove that dash, lol. its pretty easy, just a PITA.
Lol I really should think twice, do I REALLY want to take it apart lol but I already started painting with SEM lower dash, so if I started, I need to finish it. Btw, how many cans of paint did you use? It feels like I need much more of it than I thought...
Old 10-08-10, 11:52 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

I plan on painting my dash soon as well. Do you have a link for taking apart the dash?
Old 10-08-10, 11:56 AM
Vadim540i
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kira X
I plan on painting my dash soon as well. Do you have a link for taking apart the dash?
I was talking about this one. It's a bit confusing though.
Old 10-08-10, 11:58 AM
MIGS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Vadim540i
Lol I really should think twice, do I REALLY want to take it apart lol but I already started painting with SEM lower dash, so if I started, I need to finish it. Btw, how many cans of paint did you use? It feels like I need much more of it than I thought...
dont chicken out now man! just get it over with. u'll be glad you did it in the end.

i did my upper/lower dash, 2 front door pannels, rear side pannels, upper front/rear window trims, and both a-pillars with 3 cans of Landau Black. It looks factory..no one even believes its painted when they look at it. I did this last Dec and it still looks new today. I spent a lot of time prepping every surface, which is vital.

Last edited by MIGS; 10-08-10 at 12:02 PM.
Old 10-08-10, 12:00 PM
PEARL2
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

go for it, I felt the same way when you sent me that link about the ipod hookup. remove the cluster, two 10mm bolts holding dash behind cluster. remove airbag, first glove box, about 4 or 5 12mm for the air bag, L&R pilars have black plastic tabs. pillar trimand handle must be removed. drop steering column, two 14mm bolts at the base half way down the column. remove harness clips as you are able to see them. harness is also screwed in the center under dash- must be removed. dash snaps out, of course this is with ctr console removed.

the only thing different with yours is the position of the airbag bolts, use a flash light. any nuts you see need to be removed.

Last edited by PEARL2; 10-08-10 at 12:15 PM.
Old 10-08-10, 12:03 PM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The wood piece. It's single piece and I do have the pass airbag. The wood piece doesn't have bolts underneath, how do I remove it? I remember you did your upper dash swap not long ago, do you still have the pics?
Ok, the wood piece you can remove after you have the dash out. It has nuts underneath. Follow the instructions for the rest of the DIY and you should be able to get it the dash out. It's definitely doable, and it doesn't hurt to have someone help you so it's easier to lift out of the car.

Here's the link to my thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...te-2-pics.html

But there's not really much help in it lol, just inspiration for completion perhaps?

Good luck! It's not that bad
Old 10-08-10, 12:13 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Thank god my friend is a Lexus tech I will just have him remove it
Old 10-08-10, 12:36 PM
Vadim540i
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MIGS
dont chicken out now man! just get it over with. u'll be glad you did it in the end.

i did my upper/lower dash, 2 front door pannels, rear side pannels, upper front/rear window trims, and both a-pillars with 3 cans of Landau Black. It looks factory..no one even believes its painted when they look at it. I did this last Dec and it still looks new today. I spent a lot of time prepping every surface, which is vital.
Can you explain how did you prep your surfaces before painting?
Old 10-08-10, 01:21 PM
MIGS
Lexus Champion

Can you explain how did you prep your surfaces before painting?
Disclaimer: i am not responsible if you dont know how to paint! lol

Prep: i scrubbed all the vinyl panels with dish soap/water using a semi-rough sponge...then let it air dry. then rubbed the vinyl with a little Acetone/mineral spirit to remove any oil/grime...let it air dry. then wiped panels down with Clorox Wipes...dried with micro fiber rag and made sure there was no kind of lint anywhere....then proceeded to paint.

Last edited by MIGS; 10-08-10 at 01:31 PM.
Old 10-08-10, 01:33 PM
Exthultu
Pole Position

Or you could by vinyl prep and use an old white t shirt. Let it dry then paint.
Old 10-08-10, 02:01 PM
PEARL2
Pole Position

I didn't really prep. I used rubbing alcohol to clean the dash and spray.

Quick Reply: Help with dash removal.