SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

I Wanna Relocate Battery To Trunk ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-10, 02:43 PM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by junior24
For the relocate I thought you would just take the ground and attach it to the chassis run a positive to the back and ground the battery to the chassis using 0 or 1 gauge also buy a battery with a higher cca. Correct me if im wrong im also planning to do this.
Theoretically attaching the ground to the chassis would work. Grounding is very important so you need a solid ground. It would be better to run another 15footer all the way to the back attached to the battery then you can put some more grounding points along the way. There are at least grounding points throughout the engine bay.
Old 09-22-10, 03:01 PM
sayayin
Pole Position

on my SC300 the previous owner just run a wire for the positive side of the battery through the fire wall and inside the car all the way back and for the negative is attached to the bolt for the spare tire, so far is working good for the 5 months I have the car, I will try to find pics if you want is not the best job or pretty but is works.
Old 09-22-10, 03:08 PM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Yep. It will still work... I'm not saying it won't but it is good to have a solid ground all the way direct to the engine bay area or put more grounding points directly from the battery to the chassis.
Old 09-22-10, 03:18 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by masagsxr
Yep. It will still work... I'm not saying it won't but it is good to have a solid ground all the way direct to the engine bay area or put more grounding points directly from the battery to the chassis.
Should I run wires through the firewall to the trunk or under the car into the trunk ?
Old 09-22-10, 03:33 PM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

I'd run it inside just so that I don't have to worry about it hanging down and get caught on something throughout the days/months/years... I would also look into that cutoff switch 1sicksc mentioned. Even though you are running 2 wires all the way to the trunk, I would also locate a section by the engine bay for a direct positive and negative terminal connection....

There was a guy here who owns a silver GS400 or GS430. I forget his screen name. His did an awesome job on this on top of it being supercharged. I'll find out and post his screen name. I'm sure he has tons of photos floating around.

Last edited by masagsxr; 09-22-10 at 03:36 PM.
Old 09-22-10, 07:55 PM
sc4doubleO
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just run one + wire to the rear inside along the side trim to the positive on the battery. Attach the negative to the chassis on the trunk somewhere but make sure to sand the paint off in the spot your attaching the negative. Reason you should keep your grounds as short as possible. Running two years no problem.
Old 09-22-10, 08:31 PM
chingpo05
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by junior24
For the relocate I thought you would just take the ground and attach it to the chassis run a positive to the back and ground the battery to the chassis using 0 or 1 gauge also buy a battery with a higher cca. Correct me if im wrong im also planning to do this.
you are right this is all you need. if you run the batt to the back it would be ideal to use 0 gauge to make sure proper charging is constant. and a stronger ca batt couldn't hurt. make sure to use a dry cell like optima though bc you guys wouldn't want your trunk to catch on fire after a acidic battery explosion.
Old 09-22-10, 08:48 PM
Driver

Originally Posted by coolal
Just run one + wire to the rear inside along the side trim to the positive on the battery. Attach the negative to the chassis on the trunk somewhere but make sure to sand the paint off in the spot your attaching the negative. Reason you should keep your grounds as short as possible. Running two years no problem.
This, less voltage drop.
Old 09-22-10, 10:05 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Subscribed, looking to do the same with 4awg that's powering my amp at the moment
Old 09-23-10, 07:15 AM
1siksc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It depends on what intake manifold you use, the stock is good enough for a 9 second car. The only reason for a new intake manifold is looks really. Very old photo.
Old 09-23-10, 07:26 AM
1siksc
Lexus Test Driver

Running a ground and just leaving it in the trunk is a bad idea, if you ever have misfiring or some other ignition problem that'd be the cause exspecially if you ever were to go with a higher output ignition system.
Old 09-23-10, 07:42 AM
1siksc
Lexus Test Driver

Here is the right way
Ground Wire, Goes to stock location Then Battery.

Alternator wire, Goes to stock location then to a 120A Breaker then to Battery.

Starter Wire, Goes to stock location then Battery.

Fusebox Wire, Goes to Batter for the cut off I had to redo the fuses.

The Clear on goes to the Fusebox

Cut Off Swich, no picture of the wiring just location.

Sorry for all the half a$$ed Photos once my Driveshaft is done I can drive my car back home and I will take alot better photos but if you need anything explained let me know.
Old 09-23-10, 10:07 AM
ClearP
Lead Lap

Awesome pics 1siksc! You need to do a DIY on that fuse box relocation!
Old 09-23-10, 10:40 AM
1siksc
Lexus Test Driver

I kinda did just more pics then words, I will write one if someone else wants to do it but we would use their car for it.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...d-fusebox.html
Old 09-23-10, 10:51 AM
MIGS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Suscribed!

been wanting to do this for a while.

Quick Reply: I Wanna Relocate Battery To Trunk ?