SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

HELP! Harmonic balancer holding tool

Old 09-09-10, 08:27 PM
ViP_SC300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Harmonic balancer holding tool

I have searched all auto parts near and far, no one has it.
Im doing my timing belt service but im stuck at the crank pulley because i need this tool...

http://www.denlorstools.com/home/dt1...ey_holder.html

... if anyone in the miami/miramar area has this and is nice enough to rent it out to me or trade for some type of collateral. I don't want to buy it because i will only be using it one time, thats it. Im someone to trust that will bring your tool back. I would greatly appreciate it. PM me or write to me on this thread ill reply, Thank you.
Old 09-09-10, 08:50 PM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You don't have to use that tool. Since you are changing the timing belt, I assume you are replacing the serpentine belt as well? Use the old one as a strap to hold the crank pulley in place with breaker bar or pry bar, something to put through the belt to hold against the sway bar and subframe. This method will more than likely slip on you a couple of times, but you should eventually get it.

Wrap the belt around the crank pulley counter clockwise, wedge the breaker bar or pry bar. Slowly turn the crank to apply tension to the belt. After a few tries you should be able to torque it down just fine.
Old 09-09-10, 09:02 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 3Rotor
You don't have to use that tool. Since you are changing the timing belt, I assume you are replacing the serpentine belt as well? Use the old one as a strap to hold the crank pulley in place with breaker bar or pry bar, something to put through the belt to hold against the sway bar and subframe. This method will more than likely slip on you a couple of times, but you should eventually get it.

Wrap the belt around the crank pulley counter clockwise, wedge the breaker bar or pry bar. Slowly turn the crank to apply tension to the belt. After a few tries you should be able to torque it down just fine.
This is true provided its been removed before. If not, I highly doubt it will work.

That tool is a life saver, and IMO, very much worth having in your tool box for that "just in case" moment you might need it again. I ordered one when I went na-t and changed my timing belt, and have "rented" it to several people since then. And when it comes time to do my HG, ARP head bolts, etc., I dont have to hunt one down.
Old 09-09-10, 09:02 PM
ViP_SC300
Driver School Candidate

problem, i forgot to mention... My harmonic balancer fell apart, so its now in 2 pieces, the outer ring piece where the serpentine belt rides and the center part of the pulley are apart. And the whole front of the engine is already taken apart (waterpump, alt), so no water pump pulley or alt pulley.
Old 09-09-10, 09:04 PM
ViP_SC300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by turbodremz
This is true provided its been removed before. If not, I highly doubt it will work.

That tool is a life saver, and IMO, very much worth having in your tool box for that "just in case" moment you might need it again. I ordered one when I went na-t and changed my timing belt, and have "rented" it to several people since then. And when it comes time to do my HG, ARP head bolts, etc., I dont have to hunt one down.

More than likely i will have to buy it but i just wanted to try to get some help first. Thanks anyways.
Old 09-09-10, 09:10 PM
SChema
Lexus Champion

You can also the starter method. Use a long breaker bar with the correct socket, make sure it won't slip off. Either use the ground or frame to gain leverage. Once the breaker bar is sufficiently wedged, you can have a friend bump the starter. That should break it loose no problem.
Old 09-09-10, 09:36 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

That was my advice was to use the breaker bar method. Just dont try and crank it.
Old 09-10-10, 03:18 AM
Enigma8246
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 3Rotor
You can also the starter method. Use a long breaker bar with the correct socket, make sure it won't slip off. Either use the ground or frame to gain leverage. Once the breaker bar is sufficiently wedged, you can have a friend bump the starter. That should break it loose no problem.
I wasn't 100% sure about this when I did my timing belt but I tried it and it works perfectly.
Old 09-10-10, 05:09 AM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

The OEM tool is two seperate part number and will run you over $100 for both.

I took my crank bolt off in seconds with this tool, but I still had to use a large breaker bar with my jack handle slid over that as a cheater bar.

This tool allows you or someone else to hold the crank still while removing/installing the bolt and also the same with the flywheel bolts.

http://toyota.spx.com/

I dont know the part numbers, but they can look it up for you.

Look's like this