SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Hydro fan on 1JZ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-10, 09:55 AM
Munki
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hydro fan on 1JZ?

Well I picked up my 1jz swap last week and noticed it didn't have a clutch fan setup... Instead it had a hydraulic fan. The place I bought my motor swap from assured me that the swap came out of a soarer. So my question is, did the soarer 1jz even come with a hydro fan? I thought they only came with clutch fans...
Old 09-04-10, 02:03 PM
Munki
Driver School Candidate

Well, i found out the motor swap came out of a jza70...

Whats the wiring like for this?? Has anyone attemted to convert the harness to work on an sc300? Any tips/advice would be great... lol
Old 09-05-10, 12:18 AM
convoy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

same crap happened to me. had to get a rear sump oil pan seperately, and to get rid of the hydro fan junk you can replace the assembly and put in a water pump from a 2jzgte. as for the wiring you prolly gotta go with dr. tweak, since i'm guessing your harness is missing the 4 body plugs needed for our scs.
Old 09-05-10, 06:33 PM
Munki
Driver School Candidate

yeah, im thinking about putting some temporary e-fans on the rad until I get all the parts to convert it to a clutch fan... Supra and Soarer 1J's come with rear sumps btw... Im guessing you got a swap from a chaser?

And theres no way im gonna send my harness + over 600 bucks off to someone so they can rewire my harness. Dont have that kinda money right now... I already got the harness torn apart though, so far its going pretty good... Im documenting the install/wiring for this swap, so look for a write up from me here pretty soon!
Old 09-05-10, 06:47 PM
cooljoe
Driver School Candidate

I thought E-fans were better than clutch fans anyway. Maby I am wrong.
Old 09-05-10, 07:04 PM
Munki
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cooljoe
I thought E-fans were better than clutch fans anyway. Maby I am wrong.
Clutch fans are always a better option...
Old 09-05-10, 09:09 PM
convoy
Pole Position

you nailed it, 1jz from a chaser. luckily there's driftmotion.com for all the stuff i was missing, and a guy here locally is a wiring guru so he's prolly the person to do my wiring if i even decide to keep the motor.... i have thoughts of sellling everything.
Old 09-07-10, 03:06 PM
cooljoe
Driver School Candidate

Why are clutch fans a better option?
Old 09-07-10, 07:32 PM
Munki
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cooljoe
Why are clutch fans a better option?

Well, a clutch fan can move more air than any e-fan and with less drag on the engine. A good size electric fan can pull up to 30amps, putting a drain on the alternator and forcing it to work harder. The clutch fan is bolted to the water pump, it's not much more effort to turn the clutch than to just turn the pump alone. With the shroud in place you're directing 100% of the air through the radiator, maximizing it's efficiency too, keeping the coolant that much cooler overall.
Old 09-07-10, 07:49 PM
Wicked SC
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Munki
Well, a clutch fan can move more air than any e-fan and with less drag on the engine. A good size electric fan can pull up to 30amps, putting a drain on the alternator and forcing it to work harder. The clutch fan is bolted to the water pump, it's not much more effort to turn the clutch than to just turn the pump alone. With the shroud in place you're directing 100% of the air through the radiator, maximizing it's efficiency too, keeping the coolant that much cooler overall.

I sort of agree but disagree also. You're correct, where as the best cooling will always be the OEM clutch fan! However, it's been proven that electric fans actually decrease the strain/workload on the engine. Point being if you dyno the same two cars one after the other the car with Electric fans will make more power than the one with the clutch fan!

The one with the Electic fans look way better too...
Old 09-07-10, 08:16 PM
Munki
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Wicked SC
I sort of agree but disagree also. You're correct, where as the best cooling will always be the OEM clutch fan! However, it's been proven that electric fans actually decrease the strain/workload on the engine. Point being if you dyno the same two cars one after the other the car with Electric fans will make more power than the one with the clutch fan!
The one with the Electic fans look way better too...
And where was this proven? You're not going to gain any HP by swapping out the clutch fan with an e-fan, I can assure you that...
Old 09-08-10, 02:43 AM
Wicked SC
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Munki
And where was this proven? You're not going to gain any HP by swapping out the clutch fan with an e-fan, I can assure you that...
Do some research. It's really common sense, if you remove the clutch fan you're decreasing weight, correct? What happens when you remove weight from anything? I've seen it done as well as read about it so let me just tell you that I can assure you that also...
Old 09-08-10, 08:40 AM
Munki
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Wicked SC
Do some research. It's really common sense, if you remove the clutch fan you're decreasing weight, correct? What happens when you remove weight from anything? I've seen it done as well as read about it so let me just tell you that I can assure you that also...
I've been doing research on that for years. All this time I havn't found anything to prove me wrong.... And have you ever held a clutch fan in your hand? It weighs nothing... Maybe if it was a 5 pound clutch fan you might gain 1 whole hp be swapping in e-fans. Because the fan is so light its not going to put any stress at all on the waterpump pully...

If you can somehow prove me wrong ill give you a hand hug over the internet. lol