SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Help with steering wheel please..

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-16, 02:48 AM
Volume123
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with steering wheel telescoping please..**pics added**

Hey guys, my steering wheel won't move up or down or in or Out... In other words it has been completely unadjustable since I bought the car and I am not sure what the issue is. I know there are diy's on just fixing the wheel but I do not believe this is the problem with mine as I don't hear a motor working went I click the up down button. Is the problem probably just a broken motor or is it possible that it isn't even plugged in as a few things were unplugged that I had to plug back in when I got the car originally. If it is the motor, where should I check if it is plugged in or not or possibly just a fuse hopefully? And if it is the motor, instead of buying a new one as I don't care really for it to be electrically movable. Is there any way for me to physically move it at least in the mean time for the proper position I need it in ? Thanks guys for any help as it is extremely annoying being so high up...

Last edited by Volume123; 04-24-16 at 01:56 AM. Reason: Pics added
Old 04-22-16, 05:55 AM
tptpete
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

in the DIYs there should be in clipping of the connectors you are looking for. I haven't done it or I would be more helpful, but I would like to point you to the DIYs for fixing the broken gear problem assuming that it will show you what is connected/disconnected in the procedure and it may give you your answer.

I do not believe you can manually move it if the gear is still there. You need the motor to spin to adjust it and to hold it after adjusting. A failed/broken motor will hold it in place just the same as one without power, but I don't think it will hold itself if the gear isn't there. Just my thought, haven't done it before.
Old 04-22-16, 06:16 AM
javaswing
Driver School Candidate

I have had mine apart. I should have made diy on it. mine has an broken gear for tilt, which i have to order, when i take it apart will do pictures. you have an volt meter set it to 20 vdc and put it on motor wires and test for 12v when trying to move the steering tilt. if nothing there then wiring or fuse is gone. if there then motor is jamed or no good.

in order to move it you would have to take off motor and try to spin the worm gear. its not fun one way is if you know the motor is no good then you would take the motor apart and use the motor shaft in the hole and spin the shaft by hand.

i will be posting the whole factory service manual for the sc 1st gens.

Last edited by javaswing; 04-22-16 at 06:24 AM.
Old 04-22-16, 07:06 AM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

There is plenty of information and post on this subject ... key words 'tilt' and 'retract' and 'extend'. Some members confuse the two and the posts can be misleading, but there are two distinct mechanisms controlled by two different motors. Both motors use worm gear, which require multiple turn for limited end motion. This gives huge mechanical advantage to the motor and give huge mechanical disadvantage to the steering. This fact helps the steering stay in its place. [example: the scissors jack ,,, the weight of the car does not spin the thing you crank but you can lift the car by spinning the crank].

Salim
Old 04-22-16, 08:49 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts

My guess would be your tilt/tele ecu is bad. It's located deep in the left side of the driver's footwell and is fairly difficult to get to the connectors on the backside.

My tilt worked most of the time but my tele just barely, and my memory seat/wheel controls didn't function. I replaced the tilt/tele ecu and that got them all working again. (The memory controls won't work if any of the items they control aren't responding. Bit of a design flaw there.) However, the tilt/tele functions are starting to not always respond again, so I'm guessing these computers are prone to failure. I should open my old one up and see if there's a bunch of capacitor leakage inside...
Old 04-22-16, 06:52 PM
Volume123
Driver

Well here is the issue with mine, regardless of the fact that it won't move at all and never has worked, I ask I have no idea if it is the motor, gears, ecu or just a simple fuse. All I want to do is put my wheel in a better position... I haven't driven my car in over a year and was in the process of taking the whole wheel apart so I have everything already off and can't visually see anything wrong which makes me think it is the motor which is messed up... So basically what I am getting from some posts is without a new motor I can not move my wheel until I get a new one? Also I am getting a new steering wheel tomorrow but I assume it will still be in the same position so I'll still need to move it... Where is the fuse for the motor so I can at least see if that is hopefully the only issue
Old 04-22-16, 07:02 PM
javaswing
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Volume123
Well here is the issue with mine, regardless of the fact that it won't move at all and never has worked, I ask I have no idea if it is the motor, gears, ecu or just a simple fuse. All I want to do is put my wheel in a better position... I haven't driven my car in over a year and was in the process of taking the whole wheel apart so I have everything already off and can't visually see anything wrong which makes me think it is the motor which is messed up... So basically what I am getting from some posts is without a new motor I can not move my wheel until I get a new one? Also I am getting a new steering wheel tomorrow but I assume it will still be in the same position so I'll still need to move it... Where is the fuse for the motor so I can at least see if that is hopefully the only issue
check your pm
Old 04-22-16, 08:08 PM
Volume123
Driver

So I checked and for sure my tilting motor is not even there, previous owner must have just taken it out, so I actually can move it up and down by just moving the blue gear manually, but not my main problem is the telescoping feature. How would I be able to move this part physically as it is all the way out and super annoying...the motor is in there though so I'm wondering if it is possibly just not plugged in or would the feature not even work if the tilt motor isn't in there and obviously not plugged into anything. What are the wires I should check to see if that motor (telescoping) works ? Also are there any other fuses or anything else that would prevent the telescoping feature from working? Besides the "dome" fuse under the hood and the ecu Ig kick panel fuses , is there anything else? Also what if just my actual button the I push up and down to telescope isn't plugged in, where could I check that? Thanks
Old 04-24-16, 01:53 AM
Volume123
Driver

So I am wondering if the plug in this picture is supposed to be plugged in to anything
Besides just the tilt motor or if this is the wire for the up down back forth button itself. And if so where do I plug it into if And will the telescoping feature be able to work without the tilt motor as my telescoping motor looks like it is pretty new and probably recently replaced... What is strange is my horn doesn't work either, not sure if that has anything to do with this if maybe all of the wires are connected in someway...here are a few pictures with what I am dealing with.

Old 04-25-16, 12:57 AM
Volume123
Driver

No one has any help or advice for this?
Old 04-25-16, 06:36 AM
salimshah

Seems like a cut and splice ... It will take me a few days to research. Have you looked at the fix thread ... you may find a pic with the connector attached.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 04-25-16 at 06:40 AM.
Old 04-25-16, 01:35 PM
javaswing
Driver School Candidate

Did you download the factory service manual i gave you? the whole wiring is in it.
Old 04-27-16, 12:11 AM
Volume123
Driver

Ya I did but since I don't have the tilt motor it definitely confuses things. I'm wondering maybe I can attach that loose wire which looks to come directly from the buttons on the wheel to the motor which isn't there but also is connected to the telescoping motor I assume although getting the power through the tilt motor connection. Possibly just extend that wire to the telescoping wire some how so I can at least get the telescoping to work?
Old 04-27-16, 06:57 AM
salimshah

Sure you dont have the motor? Or you mean it is not functional or disconnected. Without the gearing and motor the wheel would flop.

Well it could be some one jammed the gears.

The bottom 2 pictures of your post #9 .. three wires to 1 single yellow wire is very suspicious.

Salim