SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Complete DIY: Fit a pre-97 front lip onto a 97+ SC front bumper

Old 05-13-10, 09:43 PM
P.R.S.22
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Complete DIY: Fit a pre-97 front lip onto a 97+ SC front bumper

(Final pics of the lip painted DWP on page 4) So I felt this is an appropiate time to update an old thread on how to make a pre 97 front lip fit onto a 97+ SC front bumper. I think several people do not know about the original thread on this subject and I went with what I feel is a little more detailed with picture thread on how to get this done. Mind you there are many ways to get this done but this is my approach and just wanted to share it with the community.

First off the lip came to me already pre-cut in half since the previous owner was going to go the same route as me, so what I decided to do was connect the two pieces with another piece of polyurethane from my previous front lip project from last summer. The pieces are connected with two rivets on each side of the OEM front lip.

In this pic you can see the imperfections of the OEM lip as I got it....so after I was able to primer the whole lip I went back to add bondo to these specific areas.

Here are some pics of the front lip after adding bondo to the trouble areas.

Here are pics of the front lip after adding fiberglass to the middle in order to give the l lip some reinforcement and also to use as little bondo as possible to fill in this gap. Also here are pics of the bondo after being sanded down with 60 grit. Tomorrow I will go back with my Dad to wetsand and a layer of bondo to the middle and finalize the look of the lip.

I like the fact we were able to put several layers wrapped together in the center as can be seen above in order to build a strong middle then add another layer of fiberglass across the front as well. Tomorrow its a little more bondo and sanding in order to finalize the look and get it ready for paint hopefully next week if things go according to plan.

I will update this thread as I go along for the final results and hope many fellow CL members find this thread useful in the future.

Last edited by P.R.S.22; 06-20-10 at 01:30 PM.
Old 05-13-10, 10:00 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Pppppppimp-tastic

And our secret project is in the works, give it a bit of time though.
Old 05-13-10, 10:54 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

Looking good so far. I haven't seen you post in a while. I can't wait to see it finished.
Old 05-14-10, 06:14 AM
kez
Lexus Champion

keep going want more....no homo
Old 05-14-10, 09:51 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Great DIY tutorial....This will help a lot of others who are looking to do this as well.

Ryan
Old 05-14-10, 11:33 PM
P.R.S.22
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RedPhoenix
Pppppppimp-tastic

And our secret project is in the works, give it a bit of time though.
Haha....thanks Matt Hope all is well back in Tampa brotha and hopefully we can get our super secret project done soon because its gonna be siiiiiiicck!!!!

Originally Posted by Kira X
Looking good so far. I haven't seen you post in a while. I can't wait to see it finished.
Thanks Kira X I've just been real busy just graduating from college and finishing my final exams. Lately I have been trying to get into grad school but it looks like things are looking up for me so we willl see what happens in the following few months.

Hopefully I will get this done in the next day or so and be done with it.

Originally Posted by kez
keep going want more....no homo
Haha....no problem kez I will definitely keep going and posting more pics on the process up until the bitter end so stay tuned.

Originally Posted by SC400TT
Great DIY tutorial....This will help a lot of others who are looking to do this as well.

Ryan
Thanks Ryan I think it will be of some benefit for members for years to come. Just wanted to make a complete DIY so that there would not be any holes in the process.

P.S. I can't wait to see your beast when your done with it
Old 05-14-10, 11:40 PM
P.R.S.22
Lexus Champion

So today my dad and I added the bondo to the center piece where the fiberglass hardened in order to build a nice layer and come back with the 80 grit to smooth it all down and get it to the same level of the rest of the lip. Overall it came out great today and now we are just down to wetsanding tomorrow and then primer.

If you notice on the inside of the lip we added some bondo to where the added plastic piece to the oem lip. Just a little more added reinforcement so there is no chance of this thing ever breaking anytime soon.

Stay tuned as later today I should be able to get this thing all wetsanded and primed possibly.
Old 05-14-10, 11:47 PM
Vincent123
Lexus Champion

Whats the height of the front lip? I wanna measure how much lower the front will sit with this front lip on
Old 05-15-10, 12:36 AM
Slade
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im not gonna lie or put you down. I did this method about 4 months back same way. Fiber Glassing and bondo. The center will crack in with too much stress pretty soon. I took mine off. Going for a big win this time.
Old 05-15-10, 01:18 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by P.R.S.22
Thanks Ryan I think it will be of some benefit for members for years to come. Just wanted to make a complete DIY so that there would not be any holes in the process.

P.S. I can't wait to see your beast when your done with it
Thanks P.R.S. I am so close to being finished, it is unbelievably close.

Ryan
Old 05-15-10, 11:33 PM
P.R.S.22
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Vincent123
Whats the height of the front lip? I wanna measure how much lower the front will sit with this front lip on
I would have to say no more than 2" max but I will verify that for you when I work on it some more just to make sure.

Originally Posted by Slade
Im not gonna lie or put you down. I did this method about 4 months back same way. Fiber Glassing and bondo. The center will crack in with too much stress pretty soon. I took mine off. Going for a big win this time.
Really??? Man don't tell me that Haha.....its ok I do appreciate you letting me know. What has been the main reason for the stress to the lip though? Kinda curious....is it from the highway speeds or is it from hitting it when your parking?

Believe me I want the Big Win lip real bad....but honestly I can't justify the price in order to get it. It would cost you possibly around 700 bucks and maybe even 2 months or longer to get it from Japan. I know a vendor here on CL is in the works on making a replica of the Big Win lip but who knows when that will actual be in production. So in the mean time I will give this a try and like you said if it does crack I will take it off and wait for something to come up.

Originally Posted by SC400TT
Thanks P.R.S. I am so close to being finished, it is unbelievably close.

Ryan
Not a problem. Goodluck and hope to see you on the streets or at a meet sometime soon
Old 05-16-10, 02:04 AM
Aries
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great job. I did this a couple of years back for my SC. I spent hours sanding down the bondo and painting it.
Old 05-16-10, 07:05 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

It should be fine under daily driving... but it probably will get hurt if yo do hit it... like anything else.
Old 05-16-10, 05:42 PM
P.R.S.22
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Aries
Great job. I did this a couple of years back for my SC. I spent hours sanding down the bondo and painting it.
Thanks Aries I believe I have a picture of your car or one similar to it that has the pre-97 lip on a 97 bumper and it really got me sold on getting it done.

Believe me I've got about 2 days worth of sanding put into this already with at least one more day (hopefully tomorrow) of sanding left to go. I will just be happy to have something on the front bumper since I feel it is missing something to lower it.

Originally Posted by RedPhoenix
It should be fine under daily driving... but it probably will get hurt if yo do hit it... like anything else.
Thats the impression I had about the lip. I will most likely do alot more backing into parking spots that way it will have no chance of getting messed up. Either way I have to give it a chance and see what happens.

Update on the lip: So I have not been able to work on it this weekend since I had a little family party for graduating college and getting ready to get into grad school. I took a measurement on the lip and in the middle it is 2.75" and the very end of the lip is right at 3". Gives anyone who is thinking of doing this an idea as to how much lower the car will appear with the lip on the car.

Hopefully tomorrow I will get the wetsanding done and maybe primer so that the following day my dad and I can mount it onto the car to see where it fits.
Old 05-16-10, 06:26 PM
Slade
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As for me I mainly got my lip hurt when I was traveling random roads I don't know and hit pot holes and the lip bottomed out. The stressed after time just made it cracked. With the lip my car was about 2 inches off the ground so it didn't work out too well lol. I thnk yours look higher so you should be fine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Complete DIY: Fit a pre-97 front lip onto a 97+ SC front bumper