Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Tilt steering repair

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-13, 10:45 AM
bups4217
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the information, my telescoping went out a few months ago .I had a local mechanic look at it an,d he disc the wiring hookup off the motor and set it at one position He gave me the Motor number and suggested see if could another mptor from Denso I could not ,so I called a Lexus dealer . They wanted over $3000. dollars and I had to b one buy both motors
Does any know if this motor could be re built if it is not working I am going to see if I can find a mechanic to see if the repair you talk about can be done Many thanks for your information
Bups 4217
Old 09-04-13, 09:16 AM
ToyotaPro
Rookie

Ive got a few pictures of when i just fixed mine. I took a 90 degree pick and pulled the gear right out. I super glued a copper washer on the back side of the gear (it stuck immediately and had to be filed). The washer was maybe 1/16" thick. I then put it back in and added another identical washer to the front. After that i replaced the original outer washer with a larger one to hold the other one on and bam it worked again. I didnt have any grease but my concern was moving it once. My motor is also weak and only works in 5 second burst and requires a cool off period.
Name:  null_zps554c3efc.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  193.2 KB
Name:  null_zpscd5ea622.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  198.6 KB
Name:  null_zps8228f157.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  154.5 KB
Name:  null_zps19377be7.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  183.9 KB
Old 09-04-13, 12:22 PM
BigBang
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ToyotaPro
Ive got a few pictures of when i just fixed mine. I took a 90 degree pick and pulled the gear right out. I super glued a copper washer on the back side of the gear (it stuck immediately and had to be filed). The washer was maybe 1/16" thick. I then put it back in and added another identical washer to the front. After that i replaced the original outer washer with a larger one to hold the other one on and bam it worked again. I didnt have any grease but my concern was moving it once. My motor is also weak and only works in 5 second burst and requires a cool off period.

You should probably get some grease just in case so it doesn't damage any parts or ware out. I am having problems with my telescope motor where it works for 1-2 seconds and it is also weak. I'm not sure if you may need to replace the motor possibly.
Old 09-04-13, 01:01 PM
ToyotaPro
Rookie

Originally Posted by BigBang
You should probably get some grease just in case so it doesn't damage any parts or ware out. I am having problems with my telescope motor where it works for 1-2 seconds and it is also weak. I'm not sure if you may need to replace the motor possibly.
My brother works for Lexus and im trying to get my hands on the grease. I wanted to put some in it but since its where i want it currently i dont plan on moving it again.
Old 09-23-13, 07:38 PM
TexFinn
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did the repair today on my 96 LS400, but unfortunately it did not solve the issue I'm having.

Both tilt/telescope move, but only very briefly and there are no unusual noises etc. After it moves, you have to wait for a while before it wants to ove again. This leads me to believe that it's the motor itself that is just getting tired after 17 years and 175K miles.

Oh well... At least I tried...
Old 09-24-13, 11:07 AM
Klesk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TexFinn
Did the repair today on my 96 LS400, but unfortunately it did not solve the issue I'm having.

Both tilt/telescope move, but only very briefly and there are no unusual noises etc. After it moves, you have to wait for a while before it wants to ove again. This leads me to believe that it's the motor itself that is just getting tired after 17 years and 175K miles.

Oh well... At least I tried...
I know what you mean.. my telescoping motor seems to be going out. Luckily I don't need to adjust the wheel much. Still wished it would work though without having to spend money for another one.
Old 09-24-13, 06:14 PM
Douglass
Driver School Candidate

Default SC tilt wheel repair

I went to our local Lexus dealer, and explained the problem about my tilt steering wheel not moving up or down. I explained it sounds as if a gear is stripped. I also explained to the service Mgr. that i read about a fix on this Lexus forum. When I told him of the fix, he explained to me that the fix is only temporary. He also went on to tell me of a possible repair of at least $900 +
I will not mention dealership or names. I managed to fix this problem on my own with the help of this forum, thank you! I do want to mention that my fix with the gear, required only one hose washer behind the plastic / nylon gear! I could not fit one more in front or behind the gear!
This fix will work, your situation may require more washers. No mater how many washers you need, use white lithium grease on the worm and round gear. Total time, 30 - 40 minutes!
THANK YOU TO THE PERSON WHO PROVIDED THIS FIX! Doug
Old 09-24-13, 09:26 PM
TexFinn
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Klesk
I know what you mean.. my telescoping motor seems to be going out. Luckily I don't need to adjust the wheel much. Still wished it would work though without having to spend money for another one.
I don't need to adjust it, either, but since the wheel is automatically repositioned every time I either insert or remove the key, it will get stuck in various positions.

Then I just need to drive with the wheel in which ever position it is until the motors decide to work again...
Old 09-30-13, 10:52 AM
Quocsc400
Driver School Candidate

My tilt system does not retract in or out. WORKS up and down

Does anyone know how to diagnose this problem/issue?

Thanks
Old 10-26-13, 11:25 AM
nyycebro
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks for the info!

Recently my tilt up and down quit working. I found this thread and followed it to the "T" and everything is now working perfectly. Thanks!
Old 10-26-13, 09:23 PM
VAGABON
Driver School Candidate

i seen the gear on ebay for $20 (fyi if needed). good info and idea for repair. need to look into doing mine soon, it's stuck in the highest position.
Old 11-07-13, 03:05 PM
jscoda
Driver School Candidate

The solution works just as good today. Went to Lowe's and bought a pack of plastic washers for 98 cents. Put some fresh grease on the gear and washers to prevent any friction. Grease the worm gear and it works again. Thanks for the shim idea and the washers too.
Old 11-24-13, 08:03 AM
Vandyke4
Driver School Candidate

I don't have the gear set up on my 03 LS430 and the telescoping works fine but the tilt doesn't make any noise it just doesn't move. Has anyone had this problem and been able to fix it? I just want to move it up manually and leave it there but can't figure out how.
Old 11-24-13, 08:58 AM
babowc
Driver

Fixed mine also by doing this the first day I got the car
Old 11-24-13, 12:10 PM
tritron
Lead Lap

Did anyone ever tied to print btoken gear on 3d printer ?

Quick Reply: Tilt steering repair