Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Tilt steering repair

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-12, 01:09 PM
Tommy2JZ
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ill eagle
excellent post!!! im having the same issue right now and it sucks cause my steering wheel is stuck tilted all the way up. i am about to try and fix mines now. hope it works
Haha mine too! It sucks because I can barely see the speedometer n the tachometer lol
Old 04-26-12, 10:33 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Just wanted to add my thanks.

Tilt is fixed.

Next: Fix the telescoping in/out.

Salim
Old 05-20-12, 03:47 PM
OKSTANCE
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i tried to take out the 3 screws covering the gear inside the steering column and i think they are stripped/stripping
WTF am i guna do now...
Old 05-23-12, 07:49 PM
hotdang
Driver School Candidate

Cool Quick repair using no parts!! sort of

The pictures made this repair easy. I don't see how all you fellow Lexus owners can afford these high prices you pay for parts. Twenty seven cents. Outrageous!!! I have a way to kill two birds with one stone--- with no trip to the hardware store . Open your trunk and on the passenger side is a little box that contains 12 CD's. I KNOW you have a few of them that you burned that just don't play all the way thru or you are just tired of them. Now is your opportunity to replace those cd's and still get some use out of the ones you remove. Thats right boys and girls , it is time to break out that scroll saw you never use. All 3 of the cd's that i used had a clear center with a nice round line etched into the plastic. Just cut thru with the scroll saw and follow that line. I then had a clear " washer" that was just a little smaller than the blue gear. This will take 3 cd's so you might have to use one of the CD's that didnt burn right the other night on your computer. Clean out all that yellow gunk that used to be grease . Make sure you get all the small pieces of plastic out that shaved from your blue gear. Once you have created 3 "washers" then you install 2 of them on the shaft. A little dab of White Lithium grease on the back side. Just a little ( more on this in a minute) then place the blue gear over the shaft. the third "washer" now goes on followed by the washer and nut. not much more than hand tight. If you cleaned the worm gear then now is time for more white lithium grease on the gear. Make sure you get some on the uppermost end of the worm gear as this is a bearing surface. Tilt the steering wheel up and down just a second to verify it runs smooth then put on the cover. Only install the 2 screws that hold the cover in place. Once this is complete then squirt the white lithium grease in thru the remaining screw hole until it leaks back out. Install the last phillips screw and you are done. Cost of repair = $0. The feeling you got the last word on that CD that would not play all the way thru = priceless..
Old 05-26-12, 07:46 AM
F4A22
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The screws that cover the metal plate are 8mm so a screwdriver isnt needed only for the column plastic piece removal.I had trouble removing the plastic gear and just moved it far out enough to put the column where i wanted it and disconnected that power motor.Thanks CL
Old 05-29-12, 07:22 AM
OKSTANCE
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by F4A22
The screws that cover the metal plate are 8mm so a screwdriver isnt needed only for the column plastic piece removalmotor.Thanks CL
.....O.....M.....G.....
why did i even try to use a screw driver!!!? lol
Old 05-29-12, 08:22 AM
1234lexus
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for help....mine is broken too it go down so it is stuck up ...but now I know how to fix it
Old 06-09-12, 11:15 AM
BradT
Driver School Candidate

Great Thread.
Having never wrenched on an SC before. I followed this thread and fixed the tilt steering in about 25 minutes. As described, and yes 15 minutes was spent massaging the wheel out with the two bent wire clips.

Thank you Club Lexus.
Now on to replace the rear speakers. I found the thread on that...
Old 06-10-12, 03:32 AM
denman
Driver School Candidate

Default tilt steering

you're not alone gentlemen, it happened in my '91, the washer behind the cog is made of something that breaks down over time, but alas not for everyone. The cog was a bit chewed up on one side but a few minutes with a razor blade to clean up the teeth before installing helps too. I got washers from a generic spares shop, No more problems
Old 06-10-12, 05:10 AM
ItsMiles
Driver

Going through a few a the posts, and haven't read anything about fixing the power tilt problem when there isn't any noise being made when pressing the button. My steering wheel is stuck in the down position and I end up jamming my knees every time I try to get in. When I press the button nothing happens. It doesn't even make a noise. Wiring issue?? Anyone fix this problem yet?
Old 06-21-12, 09:35 AM
BigD026
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Great Post..
This just happened to my 97' this week just after a battery change.

Any idea on the metal washer size before start "trial and error" the size?

Also, My telescoping (In/out) is very weak, but i can't find a DIY fix. Does anyone know if there is one floating out there? It's not as important as the Tilt that's covered in this post, but If i'm going in, why not ?

Driving like a Truck Driver for the next few days!
MemphisDave
Old 06-21-12, 11:50 PM
jjpark712
Driver

My wheel was stuck at lowest points possible.

Just did mine. Works great.
Now I don't need to bang my knees getting in and out of the car.
Only took me 10 minutes!!
Two thumbs up for this DIY
Old 06-25-12, 08:18 PM
c_irie
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up still here

Just decided to re-visit this thread ...10 year anniversary since i wrote up the fix it's still going I still have my SC and the fix has not failed again in 10 years ...haven't had to mess with it again
Old 07-11-12, 11:51 AM
TexLexSC
Rookie

This was the first thing I've done to my SC. Great write up and thanks to the OP. I used 2 garden hose washers behind the gear. One in front of the thin black washer and one behind it. I used a razor blade to clean up some of the chewed plastic on the gear before I reinstalled it. Then covered it all in new white lithium grease. Works like a charm now.

I saw someone was having trouble with the bracket in front of the plate that gets removed. Just loosen the 10mm bolt under it and rotate it out of the way.

Thanks again to CL for the wonderful DIY!

Now to figure out why my seat memory buttons don't work?
Old 07-16-12, 05:57 AM
stratman3
Driver

FYI sometimes by pressing the memory switch on the door, resets the steering back to normal. Mine was stuck in the bus driver position and its back to normal, for now.

Quick Reply: Tilt steering repair