Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Tilt steering repair

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-13, 02:52 PM
MrGoldfish
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had to do the exact same thing to my 93' sc300. Took it to the shop for some minor repairs and I think the mechanic broke it while he was under the steering wheel messing with the fuses. Anyway... The washer was a quick fix, took me about 20 min.
Old 01-12-14, 07:06 AM
thomasaros
Driver School Candidate

Default Telescoping

I read this excellent thread and have seen several questions, but no replies to folks whose tilt works fine up & down, but does not work in & out (telescope). Is there similar fix for this issue?

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-13-14, 03:05 AM
jscoda
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BigBang
it can slide inward or outward I believe (From what i could see while spinning the gears last night) place a washer before and after so it's more consistent with it's positioning.
I did mine the same way and keeps the gear in the proper position. Very important to add grease as my old grease became hard with age (try to wipe it out where you can) and prevented the worm gear from working easily and correctly. When first repaired it moved but slowly. As the grease "lubed" the gear area it works fine.
Old 01-22-14, 10:51 PM
mazarnelli
Driver

This is the first fix on the 97 LS 400 I just bought. Thanks for the write-up!
Old 02-17-14, 02:41 PM
J053Ph
Driver School Candidate

Just did this today. Awesome write up. Used a plastic washer. Thank you for the write up.
Old 02-22-14, 01:27 PM
CrispyST3
Driver

Hey guys, so I tried this and it worked only im having a hard time removing the nut that is used to hold the blue wheel down. How did you guys get this removed?
Old 04-10-14, 08:11 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by c_irie
worm and worm wheel
How do you remove that nut that holds the worm wheel on? When I turn it, it turns the shaft with it that the worm wheel sits on. I haven't figured out a way yet to lock onto the shaft to keep it from turning.

Edit: hah, I see the last post above mine was the same question!

Edit 2: solution; not yet tested ... https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ml#post2557454

Last edited by t2d2; 04-10-14 at 08:17 AM.
Old 04-10-14, 09:26 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

The screwdriver wedge method did the trick. It broke quite a few teeth edges in the process... It took some patience to get the worm wheel lined up well enough with the drive to pry it loose, but eventually it cooperated.

I used two garden hose washers, which I conveniently already had in the garage from previous projects. That lined the wheel up quite nicely with the gear. What was in there originally to provide that much spacing, and where does it go when it brakes down?! I saw no sign of whatever was in there before.

I can't tell if the fix fixed anything yet, as the battery is dead and I'm getting no tilt motor action (it only made a whirring noise in one of the four directions yesterday on a temporary battery), so hopefully that will work once a new battery is in, rather than requiring replacement of the control unit for the tilt.
Old 04-11-14, 03:58 PM
Soarin2jzg
Driver School Candidate

Wow!!! I'm going to have to definitely try this out cause my tilt no longer works...I get a little noise when I try to tilt but no movement. Telescoping works fine but no tilt. Thanks for this c_irie, I couldn't find anything about how to handle this anywhere else on the net.
Old 04-11-14, 04:13 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

To update my last post, and to address a question raised by a few others in this thread, the centered wheel did indeed fix the problem for me, even though the motor made no noise for 'up' previously. Now, tilt works perfectly for up and down. Telescoping isn't really working, though, but that sounds like a separate fix.
Old 04-21-14, 05:28 PM
redlinemac
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by c_irie
reassembled and working like a charm !!
Mine just went out today. Crazy thing is I came across and read this last night. I have the washers and will follow your steps in the morning.

Excellent instructions!
Old 04-22-14, 08:20 AM
thomasaros
Driver School Candidate

Default Telescope not working

Just adding another reminder if anyone has guidance on how to fix the telescoping issues that have been mentioned in this thread several times. Thanks in advance for a reply or link to other posts that might have this info.
Old 04-22-14, 08:28 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by thomasaros
Just adding another reminder if anyone has guidance on how to fix the telescoping issues that have been mentioned in this thread several times. Thanks in advance for a reply or link to other posts that might have this info.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...n-and-out.html

See posts #4 and #9. I'm working on that today.
Old 05-10-14, 08:24 PM
redlinemac
Driver School Candidate

Awesome instructions...I fixed this prob in short order. Thanks much for all of your sharing
Old 05-28-14, 02:26 PM
mrkitten
Driver School Candidate

Default took me 5 seconds to fix tilt

i just bought a 93 and the tilt wasnt going up and down the car came with a new steering column
but after doing what you said it works perfectly
thanks a ton christian

Quick Reply: Tilt steering repair