Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Tilt steering repair

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-13, 05:34 PM
SC THREE
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default awesome!

Thanks a bunch! this really helped great thread for sure. I bought my car with a broken tilt and thanks to this DIY it's now working perfectly fine.. And it only costed 88 cents(plus tax lol)
Old 02-25-13, 12:04 PM
KeyKeeper
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I took off the covers and mine looks completely different. I tapped on the motor and it started working. I lubed all of the sliding/turning parts and it works normally again.
Old 03-10-13, 11:10 PM
onlydrinkk
Driver School Candidate

My freaking gosh had to drive the sc like I was school bus driver thank you thank you.
Old 03-18-13, 11:13 AM
Volume123
Driver

Ok so with my new sc my steering column does not move at all. Doesn't make any grinding noise or anything, I have been searching for a longgggg time now and have not found ANYONE that can confirm exactly which fuse or relays belongs to the steering column tilt in order for me to check which it might be. Other than that, I would assume my motor is fine and the gears are as well, could it possibly have osmething to do with the steering ecu as well?
Old 04-23-13, 07:11 PM
Vandyke4
Driver School Candidate

Mine hasn't started to grind but the tilt just stopped working, it will telescope just fine but is stuck all the down on the tilt. Makes it a little difficult to get in and out of the car has anyone ever had this happen?
Old 04-25-13, 10:22 AM
zneubauer
Rookie

question! this fixes the up and down correct? cause my in and out is still good lol.
Old 04-28-13, 08:56 AM
LuxSupra
Driver School Candidate

Did this fix on my first and second LS400 and my First SC300 and it fixed my up and down issue. You could look and the plastic gear and see that the metal had worn the plastic down. Very simple and easy fix. I plan to snag a few gears from the local JY to keep on deck in case one I flip gives out.
Old 04-28-13, 09:15 AM
kez
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I actually did this a couple weeks ago and I didn't even replace anything I just wiggled the gear toward me,moved some grease around and bam! Works fine.

Gonna see how long it stays that way
Old 09-01-13, 02:02 PM
BigBang
Lead Lap

Bumping this up.. Fixed the tilt but my telescoping (in and out) slowly moves a bit and then dies. I'm trying to remove the motor out but seem's like there is not much room to get back to the motor.. Do I need to remove some more plastic pieces around the steering column to get to it?
Old 09-01-13, 04:21 PM
ToyotaPro
Rookie

If the issue is that the gear is wearing and sliding too far inwards why is the washer going on the outside? I just picked up an SC today with this same problem and i'm curious as to what i need to pick up to fix this before i take it apart.
Old 09-01-13, 04:51 PM
BigBang
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ToyotaPro
If the issue is that the gear is wearing and sliding too far inwards why is the washer going on the outside? I just picked up an SC today with this same problem and i'm curious as to what i need to pick up to fix this before i take it apart.
it can slide inward or outward I believe (From what i could see while spinning the gears last night) place a washer before and after so it's more consistent with it's positioning.
Old 09-01-13, 04:53 PM
ToyotaPro
Rookie

Originally Posted by BigBang
it can slide inward or outward I believe (From what i could see while spinning the gears last night) place a washer before and after so it's more consistent with it's positioning.
So you are actually placing one behind it to space it out and placing one on the outside as well? Either way im going to take mine apart and hope i can make it work somehow.
Old 09-01-13, 07:48 PM
BigBang
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ToyotaPro
So you are actually placing one behind it to space it out and placing one on the outside as well? Either way im going to take mine apart and hope i can make it work somehow.
Yes, just place one on each end. it will keep it from moving too much outward as well.
Old 09-02-13, 02:28 AM
VanCityLS4
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

Mine just recently came to a stop. No grinding or noise just a silent death. Is this the case with most people ? Sounds like I need to take mine apart and investigate.
Old 09-02-13, 05:20 PM
95SC3T
Pole Position

Well it seems that some people are finally having the same issue as I am. 95 SC3 and my telescopic ( in and out ) works great. The up and down however does not work, does not make noise, and just sets there. If there is a way to manually move it up and down with a wrench or ratchet I would love to know as thats all I really need done to be happy.

Quick Reply: Tilt steering repair