Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Tilt steering repair

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-12, 11:11 PM
KAMELANO
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tilt

Genius!! this just happened to my lexus 2 weeks ago. I was so frustrated that I coudnt figure it out, but THANKS to u my friend I am relieved .. it is 2am and I'm headed to the garage right ( walks away from the PC and heads downstairs .............
Old 11-06-12, 12:40 AM
Slaker13
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd Like To Personally Say THANK YOU SO MUCH To c_irie , You Have Saved Me From Taking My Sc3 To The Dealer And Having To Pay The Dreadful Amount Of Money They Would've Came Up With !
Old 11-06-12, 02:05 PM
KAMELANO
Driver School Candidate

done!! c_irie thank you! I finished the task almost effortlessly ( except for the 30 min. it took me took get that little green thing-a-majig wheel off) but dropped a 3/16th stainless steel washer behind it and BAM!! she's leanin and tiltin like she did b4 !!
Old 11-06-12, 04:18 PM
MXT4life
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks so much for this DIY. Was very simple and clear easy fix for me, hardest part was getting that blue gear out haha. Takes 5 minutes of your time!
Old 11-12-12, 07:32 AM
standpipe
Rookie

Thanks for this write up i just did mine yesterday after my steering wheel came to a grinding halt like 2 weeks ago. no i am a happy camper...
Old 11-13-12, 07:40 PM
smix
Driver School Candidate

you are amazing... omg dude mine was pissing me off so bad and I miss my automatic tilt I had to keep it low all the time. Thank you so much man.

Update: I completed this I got a 1/2in washer at homedepot which fits perfectly, only placed one behind it and works great! THANK YOU AGAIN SO MUCH

Last edited by smix; 11-15-12 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Update
Old 11-18-12, 10:54 AM
PhilipH
Driver School Candidate

Thank you very much. I just did this and it worked perfectly. I also found an illustrative video for my 1998 LS here:
The fix is not so elegant but the dis-assembly video is useful. However he omits to mention that there are two screws holding the clam shell which covers the steering column which located on the front face of the shell. These are normally hidden by the wheel but can be accessed by rotating it 90 degrees counter clockwise then clockwise.
Old 01-11-13, 06:46 AM
cashed350
Rookie

a ziptie? really? a washer is uniform and keeps the gear from wobbling. i would definately NOT use a ziptie. the correct washers previously stated are a measly 27cents. . . . how much more of a cheap fix could this get?
Old 01-17-13, 09:27 AM
mongral
Driver School Candidate

Default warning

warning sharp edges on cover plate
Old 01-29-13, 03:50 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome fix, just got my car and this was broken, the steering wheel is sitting too high for my preference. Going to give it a try.

First attempt at fixing something on my ride, I couldn't get that steel bar off as I don't have the tools to do so at the moment, but I was able to wiggle the gear back in place enough for me to adjust the steering wheel from it's position(all the way up for some reason) to something more enjoyable for the moment. Of course I did this in the dark, in the rain, so not the best work environment, but weather in NY right now sucks. Still good thread obviously it's 20 pages long.

Last edited by Biddles; 01-29-13 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-04-13, 09:25 PM
MikeDuffy
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up Thank You, c_irie

Just before Christmas, my 1995 SC400 tilt steering wheel decided to stop going all the way down.

I Googled and landed on this thread. The pictures made it easy to take off the cover of the steering column and open up the gear box. A paper clip with a bent end made it easy to pull the blue gear. Went to the hardware store and got two hose washers and some white lithium grease. Cleaned out the remains of what must have been felt washers, put two rubber hose washers behind the blue gear, locked it down with the nut, greased it all with some of the white lithium, and presto, it worked like new. Put the cover back on, and congratulated myself on saving several hundred bucks.

Now I'm fixing the burnt-out bulbs in my instrument cluster, and generally getting psyched to fix a bunch of little things on my one-owner (me!) '95, which at 329,323 miles needs a little TLC.

I joined up so I could leave this thank you for c_irie, who was kind enough to share his experience.
Thanks!!!
Old 02-05-13, 06:27 AM
gtsfire
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ItsMiles
Going through a few a the posts, and haven't read anything about fixing the power tilt problem when there isn't any noise being made when pressing the button. My steering wheel is stuck in the down position and I end up jamming my knees every time I try to get in. When I press the button nothing happens. It doesn't even make a noise. Wiring issue?? Anyone fix this problem yet?

This question has been asked several time and no one has addressed it.
Mine makes no noise and will not retract when you pull the key.
It will move up and down if I push the memory button but will not go in and out.

I just bought the car and the previous owners state they recently replaced the battery.
I don't believe it's coincidental. Before I pull the column apart I'll d/c the battery and reconnect it.
Luckily mine is stuck in the position I like to keep it in anyway.
Old 02-17-13, 01:36 PM
turbowner
Driver School Candidate

worked great!
Old 02-17-13, 03:00 PM
turbowner
Driver School Candidate

Default washers

Lowes washers worked like a charm! thanks
Old 02-22-13, 10:41 AM
KeyKeeper
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hmm, Im going to have to bookmark this and try it this weekend. My tilt is very random. In the mornings it auto telescopes but the tilt will not work. I push the joystick down and it just clicks twice then another single click. yesterday morning I pulled down on the steering wheel and it slowly moved and then went to working fine. I pulled the key out and both auto telescope and tilt worked fine. Put the key in and out a few times and it worked fine. This morning I get in car to go to work and back to no down tilt. I pulled down on the wheel hard but no beuno, just telescope function. Drove my "school bus" to work....not happy. Went to lunch about 30 min ago and same same. got back and pulled down very hard on wheel and bingo, it slowly moved and then worked fine. It does not make any grinding sound. just the typical bzzzz while its moving. Im thinking the motor is weak. Also, my alternator is going out so going to change that as well. not sure if they are related or not but I dont think anything in the car is going to work well with 10v....Im hoping maybe to clean/relube the worm gear and maybe this washer fix to take care of it. Maybe a trip to the salvage yard to aquire a motor....stay tuned. Oh 98 GS300 is the model.

Quick Reply: Tilt steering repair