SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

No Oil On Dipstick?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-10, 11:55 AM
ALLWiTE2JZ
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Oil On Dipstick?

This is kind of weird but I just went outside to check my oil and there was no oil on the dipstick when I went to check it. I drove the car around for a few minutes to get it warmed up, then I parked on a level surface, waited a few minutes for the oil to recollect in the pan and then went to check it. When I first pulled the dipstick out before you're supposed to wipe it off then put it back in to get an accurate reading, there was a full reading on the dipstick when I first pulled it out. But after wiping it off and then putting it back in to get a more accurate reading it didn't have anything on it. Does anyone know what this could be? I just got my camshaft oil seals fixed a couple months ago because I had a bad leak before. My dipstick has done this before but not this bad lol. I don't understand it though, when I decide to drain the oil, it drains about 4.5-5 quarts of oil every time, so how does the dipstick not show anything lol?
Old 04-22-10, 12:02 PM
94LEXUS400
Driver

Sounds like you dont have enough oil in there...maybe little at the bottom...isnt it?? hmmmm
Old 04-22-10, 12:42 PM
tcrow31
Pole Position

There is really nothing to a dipstick nothing can really malfunction on it. So if your reading no oil on the dipstick then put some more oil in you motor. Then find where it is leaking at.
Old 04-22-10, 01:07 PM
ALLWiTE2JZ
Lead Lap

Is it possible that the dipstick doesn't work or it isn't accurate? I mean the car runs fine, I haven't seen anything abnormal on the car when driving it, and there is no difference in gas mileage. But every time I drain the oil there is at least 4 quarts of oil that comes out, so how would the dipstick be reading absolutely nothing? It just doesn't make sense to me.
Old 04-22-10, 01:50 PM
94LEXUS400
Driver

hmm..4 quarts? 2JZGTE takes 5.2L of oil. so I assume tat 4 quarts(about 4L) should still show on dip stick...Is dip stick right one for 2JZ? Do an oil change and try to check the engine oil level right after...it wouldnt hurt to do that to make sure if the dip stick showing right...if you do an oil change and still nothing then I would assume your dipstick might not be working?? @.@
Old 04-22-10, 01:58 PM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Only two possibilities.
1. Wrong dipstick
2. When you drain the oil, you really are not getting 4 quarts out.

I guess there is a 3rd - you can't read a dipstick, but lets assume that's not the case.
Old 04-22-10, 02:44 PM
Slo300
Rookie

another possibility is his dip stick could possibly be missing a few inches??

LOL it's a shot in the dark. However chances are you don't have enough oil in it.

Your car will run perfectly fine like it should however - Oil is a lubrication. You will never hear the effects until it's too late. Never and i say it again, Never run More oil than the full marker.
Old 04-22-10, 03:08 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

you obviously don't have enough oil in there. when you move the car the oil splashes around on the dipstick, thats the whole point of wiping it off and checking.
BTW the turbo motor takes like 5.5 quarts of oil, and it takes a while for the oil to fully recollect. if you have no oil on the dipstick before/after running the motor put some more oil in there or start saving for a new engine.

if you notice there is a cold and hot line for measuring before you start the car when fully cold and the hot line is after subsequent starts. If you have no readings in either situation, you are at least a quart low. the low oil light only comes on when there is a dangerously low amount of oil in the pan ~2 quarts.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 04-22-10 at 03:13 PM.
Old 04-22-10, 03:12 PM
Banikid
Lead Lap

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj5ms9PJDNY (srry had to)
Old 04-22-10, 03:30 PM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

even if you where getting 4 qts out when you drain your oil, i don't think your dipstick goes to the bottom of the pan, so if your like a full 1qt and a half low then it might not show anything on your dipstick.. are you parked on a hill or uneven pavement?

other then that it sounds like you need to add some oil.. if nothing is on your dipstick i'd start with at least a quart then check it again..

like someone else mentioned, there isn't much that can go wrong with your dipstick..
Old 04-22-10, 03:41 PM
FuMoFFuTT
Lexus Test Driver

We should also say that we are not responsible for anything that may happen to the car by adding more oil, this is only an assumption
Old 04-22-10, 07:28 PM
ALLWiTE2JZ
Lead Lap

Well I just got done changing the oil and filter like 2 hours ago and when I drained the oil out, it was about 3.5 quarts this time around. Is it possible that my SC could be burning the oil instead or leaking it? Because I look all around the engine bay and on the ground I park on outside and there are no recent looking oil spots anywhere. So I am confused lol. I just changed the oil and filter though like I said and put 5 quarts in. Are these cars known for burning oil at all?
Old 04-22-10, 07:45 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tcrow31

There is really nothing to a dipstick nothing can really malfunction on it. ...
Originally Posted by aka paco

like someone else mentioned, there isn't much that can go wrong with your dipstick..
There is one possibility that hasn't been mentioned yet (although, I too, think the OP is just low on oil); the dip stick tube may not be fully seated down into the block, thereby holding the dipstick up further than it should be and causing it to not touch the oil. It's a long shot, but it could happen
Old 04-22-10, 07:54 PM
Klaus
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

could definitely be burning it- my chrysler would burn a quart every oil change
Old 04-22-10, 07:55 PM
ALLWiTE2JZ
Lead Lap

But what could be causing it to be burning oil though? That's what I don't understand? What should I check?

Quick Reply: No Oil On Dipstick?