SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

2JZGE Na-T TT Ecu Mod

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-14, 10:02 AM
aznexus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
Thanks for the detailed post I am sure that will help others in teh future.
I may even start a section for FAQ's like that where people can post common issues.

You have the FFIM installed right? are you getting any pinging in the lower rpm's as I described when you blip the throttle too fast?

if not maybe I need to go back and make some adjustments maybe the tps needs some more range or something or I need to run ethanol cause the gas up here is not so great.

Hello Ali,

I have the FFIM installed. I'm not getting any noticeable pinging when I blip the throttle fast, whether I'm on 92 or 94 octane.
Old 11-25-14, 12:45 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Thanks for the info, maybe its something I changed then or am missing, I will take another look and set the tps voltage like you indicated and see how it goes.
Old 11-25-14, 02:49 PM
aznexus
Rookie

I'm not sure if this helps, but maybe you can try a higher octane? For JDM ECU's, they're tuned for 98 RON, if I remember correctly. That equates to about 91 Octane. Maybe you can try a higher octane to see if it makes the pinging go away?

As well, wouldn't the knock sensor(s) be able to pick up the pinging/knocking and adjust for that?
Old 11-25-14, 03:30 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

well we have 91 up here due to the elevation and i put in some from the best shell station we have around here. for some reason I thought the JDM was more aggressive tune than US cars not less aggressive. I was even thinking of using a USDM ecu later on with a map ecu if I can't figure it out and see if it helps but I need the 550 injectors for that and the US ecu. still not sure if it will make a difference usdm vs jdm ecu or if this is a gte vs na-t with a large throttle body issue. also sounds like I may be the only one having it so maybe its just something off on my setup.

I am going to try first with the tps and other adjustments if not I will put a few gallons of e85 in and see how that does. I have a feeling it may do the trick if it does I might just buy some 660cc injectors and try running e85 all the time. wonder how the setup would like that lol I may create more problems or fix them not really sure.

the knock sensor and the o2 sensor do correct it just take a few second and I can hear the pining loud and then decrease and go away as the ecu corrects but man it feels like its an eternity when it happens cause I don't like that noise happening at all if you know what I mean. probably comes on for a whole second loudly and by 3 seconds or so its gone. I still drive it around but it is bothering me when it happens.
Old 11-25-14, 06:25 PM
aznexus
Rookie

Yeah I agree. The small things can be so annoying, i.e. squeaky brake pads when they're cold.

I noticed that you're running an adjustable FPR in your videos. I would try to adjust the FPR to see if it was causing the motor to suddenly run lean when you blipped the throttle. If that doesn't solve the pinging, try increasing the octane? Hopefully it's just the FPR that's giving you issues.
Old 11-26-14, 05:27 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Always have been on the stock fpr actually. Something else must be going on. what kind of throttle body you running?
Old 11-26-14, 06:36 PM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Always have been on the stock fpr actually. Something else must be going on. what kind of throttle body you running?
Well you know how it ran on the stock intake, the only thing that has changed is the FFIM and throttle body correct? Does the timing maybe need to backed down a hair? Could you install a SAFC and richen it up slightly under 3k rpm?

I'm glad I have stuck with the stock intake if this is the case.
Old 11-26-14, 07:12 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Yeah it was not there or noticeable with the stock intake at all. I tried messing with the timing it didn't seem to change the issue much, but I always see the wide band swinging lean when I blip the throttle its like the more lean I can make it go with the pedal the worse the sound is for a sec. I might just pull the o2 sensor and let it run a little rich. the car actually runs surprisingly well that way and seems to still give full timing just doesn't do any o2 correction.

I was debating swapping throttle bodies but I sort of like my q45 one. I can't believe the throttle response though its like too much change too fast for o2 correction lol. I am going to measure the tps voltage and report back when I get a chance. The SC/LS400 one I have is a little smaller like 75mm vs q45 at 82.5 and the SC/LS400 fits a toyota tps stock I just dont want to make an adapter right now.
Old 11-26-14, 10:01 PM
aznexus
Rookie

I'm currently running a 90mm RMR TB with a Toyota TPS adapter. I first started with a Q45 TB, then Accufab. Finally settled on RMR. It's a quality piece with no paper gasket needed. It uses a big rubber o-ring.

I am going to measure the tps voltage and report back when I get a chance.
The TPS calibration will affect your AFR. I'm guessing when you blip the throttle, the ECU reads the TPS potentiometer voltage first and then reads the O2 sensor second to adjust the AFR accordingly.

Last edited by aznexus; 11-26-14 at 10:15 PM.
Old 11-27-14, 12:42 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Yeah there must be something off because my last FFIm didn't do it either. I did increase the idle speed recently and mess with the tps when I did that so maybe I need to go back and play with the adapter piece. sometimes its hard to get the adapter at the exact right spot. will let you guys know how it goes.
Old 11-27-14, 05:24 PM
aznexus
Rookie

Yeah there must be something off because my last FFIm didn't do it either. I did increase the idle speed recently and mess with the tps when I did that so maybe I need to go back and play with the adapter piece. sometimes its hard to get the adapter at the exact right spot. will let you guys know how it goes.
Which FFIM did you use and which one are you using now? I'm using a XS Power FFIM right now.
Old 11-28-14, 01:32 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

The last one was made from scratch using RMR D plenum and a q45 throttle body flange.
This one is the XS power one that I cut off the thrrotle body flange and installed a q45 throttle body flange on.

the new intake is a little shorter than my last one but don't think thats the problem.
I do have the charcoal canister hooked up to a port on the q45 throttle body, so maybe it doesn't like that since I increased the idle, maybe getting too much vac on the tank from that port or something. hopefully I can get it figured out now I am thinking its not the FFIM and something small in the setup.

could even be a rattle going to double check everything is bolted down. the dipstick isn't right now maybe I need to go back and make a bracket. all the details just got to get it worked out again.
Old 11-30-14, 10:22 AM
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to update changed out the plugs to iridium gapped to about .030. Runs and pulls fine but the codes for miss fires are pending which points me back to the tps.

So I'm going to try moving the tps back closer to stock position and reset the idle screw again next weekend. Here is a short video of after the install, the focus is off but you can see whats going on.

Viedo After New Plugs
Old 12-02-14, 01:37 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

yeah I am pretty sure you have gone too high on the idle, try around the 8-900 range. its tricky to do but possible.
sounds like it revs clean though but the afr's do looks a little lean like maybe its confused.
Old 12-02-14, 03:59 PM
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think it will be happy until its back down to that 650-700 as far as the afr's go. But it is interesting that it maintained the high idle while in the "happy" range for the ecu. Really want to get rid of the afr swinging back and forth.

Quick Reply: 2JZGE Na-T TT Ecu Mod