SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Why is my steering lock reversed??

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-10, 11:40 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Why is my steering lock reversed??

OK, I'm confused

Recently replaced the steering column on a 94 SC400. Now, when the ignition is not turned on, I can move the steering wheel from one side to the other (eg. steering works.) However, when I turn the ignition on, the steering wheel locks up not allowing me to turn the wheel at all.

So basically it is doing the opposite of what it should be, by locking the steering when the car is on but unlocking it when the car is off.

Anyone have any ideas? All plugs are plugged in correctly...

Thanks,
Jonny
Old 03-28-10, 11:44 AM
BostonSC4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol isn't it always something Jonny? Sorry man I have no idea what that could be. Best of luck to you!
Old 03-28-10, 03:35 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BostonSC4

lol isn't it always something Jonny? Sorry man I have no idea what that could be. Best of luck to you!
Couldn't agree more. Everytime I fix one problem a new one comes along... I hate these cars!

Jonny
Old 03-28-10, 08:07 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Anyone....??
Old 03-28-10, 10:10 PM
Scotty
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 8 Posts

Very odd... When the key is in the ignition switch does it correctly align with the lock/acc/on/start markings?
Old 03-28-10, 10:13 PM
willhickey
Lexus Test Driver

check the wiring man.........., who did the work on the repair? where did you get that column from?
Old 03-29-10, 07:16 AM
Danimal
Lead Lap

Well, keep in mind I have 0 knowledge about this. But...

It sounds like whatever mechanism is used to lock the column is basically wired backwards.

Any chance that a wrong relay or something was used? Did you have to cut any wires on this one?
Old 03-29-10, 08:26 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Scotty
Very odd... When the key is in the ignition switch does it correctly align with the lock/acc/on/start markings?
Originally Posted by willhickey
check the wiring man.........., who did the work on the repair? where did you get that column from?
Originally Posted by Danimal
Well, keep in mind I have 0 knowledge about this. But...

It sounds like whatever mechanism is used to lock the column is basically wired backwards.

Any chance that a wrong relay or something was used? Did you have to cut any wires on this one?
Guys,

Thank you all for your responses. Here is a little more info that should answer your questions:

The car is a 94 SC400 and I believe the column I replaced it with came from a 93 SC300. The 2 columns were very similar, although I noticed a couple of very slight differences. The 94 SC400 key cylinder would not properly insert into the 93 key cylinder location. The pin that sticks out the other side into the ignition switch would not thread through the hole on the bottom of the column on the 93. Looking inside it was shaped a little differently. Secondly, the 93 column did not have the interlock attached, nor was it wired for it. The 94 had it however. So, when I installed the 93 I just left it out. After realizing my issue, I changed the harness back to the 94 (the one that has the interlock, ignition switch and ignition light attached) and put it on. There is a small pin with a rubber top that goes inside the hole where the interlock pin pushes it down to release the key (I think.) Well, the pin with rubber top wouldn't fit into the hole. So, I dremeled it down to make it fit. Put it all back together and it still wouldn't work.

Whenever I try to turn the steering with the car started, the click/lock noise sounds like it is coming from the key cylinder. Which makes me think it is installed incorrectly. However, after speaking with several people I have been told that there is only one way it goes in

The wiring is all plug and play so I know wiring isn't the issue. Gazi has one for $70 shipped from a 95 so I am thinking of trying that. It's a real PITA to get the column in and out because of the lack of room in the engine bay, so I was hoping to try and fix this without having to pull it.

Does anyone have any knowlege of the workings of the steering lock? Which part is it that locks the steering?

My issue is somewhere in #4 in this picture

I have cross-checked the parts and it doesn't show there should be any differences between 92-96 so I am a little confused.

LexusFTW helped me put it back together so it wasn't just me seeing things...

Also, anyone have any tips for popping the key cylinder out without removing the column? It is on the top and I can't get any tools in there to pop the little switch...

Anyone?
Jonny

Last edited by Dx3; 03-29-10 at 08:30 AM.
Old 03-29-10, 12:47 PM
Scotty
Intermediate

The steering wheel lock is entirely mechanical so there won't wiring issues to worry about.

The ignition cylinder and wheel lock mechanism are part of one cast piece of metal for security reasons and the key cylinder I believe is compression fitted to make it difficult to remove.

A snapshot of your cylinder/steering column may be helpful. It does sound like the ignition switch mechanism may be incorrect for that steering column.

The easiest but not entirely ideal solution may be grinding down the wheel lock pin, that would completely disable wheel lock.
Old 03-29-10, 01:04 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i replaced the steering column in my 94 sc300 5spd out of a 95 sc300 auto. everything was plug and play. the cylinder is completely mechanical.

to remove your old ignition cylinder/tumbler assembly from the old column, you just insert the key and turn it to the "start" position and use a pin to push a release and remove the whole assembly. do the same in the other column and swap them.

this can only be done in the start or the "ignition" position of the key cylinder. it will not come out any other way.

other then that there are no differences in the columns. i had an option of swapping for a 92 sc400 column and after comparing all three(my stock, 95 sc300, and sc400) they were all the same.

take out your tumbler/lock cylinder and make sure it is inserted correctly and the pins move out for the lock at the proper time.
Old 03-29-10, 01:41 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Firstly I want to thank everyone who has taken an active interest in this thread. It isn't often that we come across a first time problem in the SC section - so I am relieved to know I have you guys helping me locate the problem.

The steering wheel lock is entirely mechanical so there won't wiring issues to worry about.

The ignition cylinder and wheel lock mechanism are part of one cast piece of metal for security reasons and the key cylinder I believe is compression fitted to make it difficult to remove.

A snapshot of your cylinder/steering column may be helpful. It does sound like the ignition switch mechanism may be incorrect for that steering column.

The easiest but not entirely ideal solution may be grinding down the wheel lock pin, that would completely disable wheel lock.
I will take a picture of the one I have that I pulled out - for the most part it is exactly the same. I will also try to snap some under dash pictures.

Where exactly is this wheel lock pin? And can you get access to it?

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
i replaced the steering column in my 94 sc300 5spd out of a 95 sc300 auto. everything was plug and play. the cylinder is completely mechanical.

to remove your old ignition cylinder/tumbler assembly from the old column, you just insert the key and turn it to the "start" position and use a pin to push a release and remove the whole assembly. do the same in the other column and swap them.

this can only be done in the start or the "ignition" position of the key cylinder. it will not come out any other way.

other then that there are no differences in the columns. i had an option of swapping for a 92 sc400 column and after comparing all three(my stock, 95 sc300, and sc400) they were all the same.

take out your tumbler/lock cylinder and make sure it is inserted correctly and the pins move out for the lock at the proper time.
Thank you for getting involved

I can assusay with a great deal of certainty that there are differences. LexusFTW and I went through these 2 things and found these differences to be true. While they are all very minor, they are differences. The one from the 93 was from his old car that he removed, so I know it worked in his car. The shape of the cylinder internally was considerable different between the 2.

My question for you is how to access the release mechanism on the.... wait a minute... Is your release button on the top or bottom? Meaning does it face the floor or the roof?

This may be the problem if yours faces the floor...Because mine is facing the roof and is all but impossible to access with the steering column connected...

Jonny
Old 03-29-10, 04:47 PM
Scotty
Intermediate

I will take a picture of the one I have that I pulled out - for the most part it is exactly the same. I will also try to snap some under dash pictures.

Where exactly is this wheel lock pin? And can you get access to it?
It's that little nub facing the steering column on the ignition switch assembly(#4). You would have to drill out/remove the bolts holding the ignition switch to the steering column. The pin that you would need to grind would be on the part of the ignition cylinder that meets up with the column. I would do this as a last resort.

Getting the lock cylinder out may help if for whatever reason it isn't aligned properly, causing wheel lock to engage/disengage at incorrect times.
Old 03-29-10, 07:12 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

OK guys,

These pictures are to both hopefully help people who need help with their columns in the near future, and also to possibly help me find an answer.

Being that the cylinder release is at the top of the column, how do you access it while the column is still in the car. I don't have any room to get my hand in there, or a tool for that matter, to push down on the release??

Thoughts?
Jonny
Old 03-30-10, 09:00 PM
Scotty
Intermediate

Is the interlock you are referring to in the image not installed in the car? If not, it shouldn't affect the wheel lock. That interlock keeps the key from being removed while the car is in gear. In your image the steering wheel interlock is still bolted to the column.

Unfortunately, I don't think there would be an easy way to access the release opening without lowering the column some or drilling out those bolts holding the ignition switch assembly to the column.

I assume you swapped the key cylinders when you replaced the steering column, that correct?
Old 03-31-10, 08:07 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Is the interlock you are referring to in the image not installed in the car? If not, it shouldn't affect the wheel lock. That interlock keeps the key from being removed while the car is in gear. In your image the steering wheel interlock is still bolted to the column.

Unfortunately, I don't think there would be an easy way to access the release opening without lowering the column some or drilling out those bolts holding the ignition switch assembly to the column.

I assume you swapped the key cylinders when you replaced the steering column, that correct?
Scott,

The interlock device is on the wiring harness that is in the car and is attached to that. The car originally had the interlock attached, but on the new steering column it didn't come with one so I left it out.

Could you plese show me where the steering wheel interlock is on the pictures I posted?

When I bought the car, the PO had bought a new key cylinder (supposedly from Lexus) and that is the one that is now installed in this steering column.

Is there any possible way that the key cylinder is just installed upside down? My contention is that it is installed opposite to how it should be, so when the pin should be pressed in (car off) it is de-pressed, and then when the key is turned it is de-pressed (car on.)

Thanks again man,
Jonny

Quick Reply: Why is my steering lock reversed??