Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

DIY Tire Well Harness Relocation

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-11, 12:56 PM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Spooled
Well, usually the only way to extend wires is to solder in extensions. You're not supposed to solder SRS wires due to possible variant resistance/or open you can create in the wires. Pretty much just a saftey item.
I get what your saying. It's a safety wire, so if you do cut it make sure it's soldered correctly and protected/wrapped properly. If the wire is extended too much it could possibly create a different resistance for the SRS to operate?
Old 05-30-11, 01:08 PM
Spooled
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Essentially yes.
Old 06-26-11, 07:50 PM
drpatel77
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

need help doing this.... around OC and within 30 miles or so i can drive.. lemme know how much donation you would need to help me with it... thanks.. pm me..
Old 06-27-11, 06:37 AM
romycha1
Lead Lap

I'm down in San Diego, but don't know when I would be of any help... What exactly do you need help with?
PM me.
Old 06-27-11, 11:23 AM
topdog849
Lead Lap

okay so i relocated my harness through the engine bay but my tire still chewed through the harness by the firewall. car still runs and drives but I lost power to the windows,sunroof, blinkers, side mirrors, and brake lights. has anyone replaced that whole harness and how hard is it? I found a sc at my junkyard but idk if it's worth it and how far it connects
Old 06-27-11, 12:42 PM
FiSta
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by topdog849
okay so i relocated my harness through the engine bay but my tire still chewed through the harness by the firewall. car still runs and drives but I lost power to the windows,sunroof, blinkers, side mirrors, and brake lights. has anyone replaced that whole harness and how hard is it? I found a sc at my junkyard but idk if it's worth it and how far it connects
Hard to believe that it still got to it after relocating...especially by the firewall. But any case, just splice the chewed up wires if
its just a few wires. Getting a whole harness can be expensive
Old 06-27-11, 02:30 PM
topdog849
Lead Lap

it wont cost me more then 10$ at the junkyard, I just wanna make sure it's do able
Old 06-27-11, 05:06 PM
SC400-PHAE
Pole Position

It would probably be easier to just fix your wires... i fixed my wires three times already the first time it was really bad. But i did the relocation today it wasn't hard at all just the green connection to the ecu was a bit of a pain
Old 08-14-11, 05:56 PM
spdrcr771
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice write up. I just did this for a friend of mine today. Now how in the hell the OP got that big *** plug through the rubber boot ill never know. I tried for about 5min before, I said to heck with it. I then drew the plug & labeled each hole with the color code. Then removed all the wires from the plug, taped all of the ends, which made it alot easier to pull the wires through. I also did the same thing for the next smaller big plug. Pulled the harness through the engine bay, back into the fender area & then install the wires back into the plugs, & buttoned it all back up. Took about 3.5hrs. Now when am I gonna do mine. NOT today lol.
Old 08-26-11, 09:59 AM
st350z
Driver

Great write up!!! Just redid mine today.

^^I'm not sure what you guys did about the Yellow wire??
I had to extend mine but I still don't know what that wire is for..?
Must be for the headlights or something since it's under both the pass and driver side fenders. I have a 94 sc300 5spd if that makes a difference..?
Old 08-26-11, 12:32 PM
ArodDaLob
Lexus Test Driver

they're the airbag srs wires.
Old 09-08-11, 10:22 PM
Copilot
Driver

Just finished attempting this guide. I ended up just tucking it higher in the fender instead of relocating to the engine bay. Its impossible for the tire to rub on the harness if you tuck it above the fender since the tire will hit the metal before it ever hits the harness up there.

The only reason I couldn't put it in the engine bay was that rubber and metal piece where the harness passes through, because its impossible to get the connector through, its metal so I would have to grind it apart.

Here is a very badly drawn picture of what I mean, hope it makes sense.

DIY  Tire Well Harness Relocation-nykfi.jpg
Old 09-08-11, 11:49 PM
JDMSoarer5
Rookie

I cut the rubber so the plugs so fit thru and used electrical tape to cover up everything
Old 09-20-11, 09:32 AM
Luv2xl
Lexus Test Driver

i attempted this with no luck.. i didn't cut at the division to provide more slack and ended up just placing it a higher under the fender. I will try to get this done again with giving it more slack..
Old 09-20-11, 12:57 PM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

um the metal comes off the rubber.. then you cut the rubber.. not a big deal.. i did this and i also did a full abs delete with all the wires and all and with those wires out of the way you can place the harness inside the hard casing in the engine bay.. looks factory.. very easy dont cut the harness people unplug it from the inside.. LOL

Quick Reply: DIY Tire Well Harness Relocation