Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

DIY Tire Well Harness Relocation

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-10, 07:04 PM
Spooled
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SCott300
How long does it take to do the relocation? Just so I know how much time to allocate to this when I out my springs and struts on.
Set aside at least 3hrs to do it right.

I even had a lift with some minor distractions and the right tools, it still took me about 2hrs.
Old 08-09-10, 08:46 PM
romycha1
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ashtray
So its personal preference on whether you tuck up the harness or run it through the engine bay correct? Not one is necessarily better than the other?
I would say so. I was originally going to run it through the engine bay, but then after I saw how well tucking it higher was, I decided to just do it that way... it was easier, and it keeps less stuff in the engine bay.

My only issue now is the airbag wire... on certain dips I am still hitting it.

Originally Posted by adl16v
just did mine this weekend wasnt too bad once I figured out how to disconnect the big plug, tucked the yellow wires and cable up high with zipties
How low are you? Can you take a pic of what you did with the yellow wires?

Originally Posted by SCott300
How long does it take to do the relocation? Just so I know how much time to allocate to this when I out my springs and struts on.
Shouldn't take more than 2 hours... I did mine in less than an hour and a half, given my fender liner was already off, and I just tucked the harness higher rather than through the bay.

Has anyone tucked the airbag wires differently? Extending them or anything like that?
Old 08-10-10, 10:55 AM
topdog849
Lead Lap

my tire just chewed thru the yellow harness with two wires inside. now my cars taillights, blinkers, speedo, rpm, coolant temp gauges dont work at all. i looked at all the fuses and the only one that was blown under the dashboard fusebox was the turn signal fuse. i immediatly replaced it and only the turn signals worked for two seconds and then nothing again. and the fuse is still good. anyone have this happen? can someone please disconnect those wires on there car to see if the same thing happens, i dont see how an airbag wire would mess with all those other circuits.
Old 08-11-10, 09:09 AM
romycha1
Lead Lap

Hmm... The wires in the yellow loom are just for the airbags as far as I know. Are you sure nothing else got chewed up?
Old 03-16-11, 07:14 PM
Soarer4oo
Driver School Candidate

this thread cleared up alot of questions i had , thanks
Old 03-17-11, 08:04 PM
STORMINSC4
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by topdog849
my tire just chewed thru the yellow harness with two wires inside. now my cars taillights, blinkers, speedo, rpm, coolant temp gauges dont work at all. i looked at all the fuses and the only one that was blown under the dashboard fusebox was the turn signal fuse. i immediatly replaced it and only the turn signals worked for two seconds and then nothing again. and the fuse is still good. anyone have this happen? can someone please disconnect those wires on there car to see if the same thing happens, i dont see how an airbag wire would mess with all those other circuits.
I'm a newbie and i have had my 95 sc400 for two yrs and some one dropped pretty low.. they rerouted the harness as shown but not the cable and the yellow airbag wires on both sides of the car look like they were cut or chewed through. they removed all of the fender linings. My question is how do i now some jack hole didnt screw something up with the airbag wires and how do i reroute my recently chewed hood release cable? car rubs on decent bumps and slow turns. I'm only riding 225/55r16s with aftermarket 16" rims and its tough to get a floor jack under the car. im going to do a complete revamp of wheels and suspension and i want to do this right. i need any suggestions!
Old 04-12-11, 07:55 PM
pieisgude
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow. This look much longer than i expected. I'm not sure if the rubber/metal grommet is the same between 98, and any of the previous years, but i had to bust out my dremmel to cut the bracket that held the rubber grommet just to remove the wires from the bracket. It took about 2 hours, but was well worth it. After one night of driving after putting on coils, i already ate through the plastic.

Thanks for the DIY.
Old 04-12-11, 08:21 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pieisgude
Wow. This look much longer than i expected. I'm not sure if the rubber/metal grommet is the same between 98, and any of the previous years, but i had to bust out my dremmel to cut the bracket that held the rubber grommet just to remove the wires from the bracket. It took about 2 hours, but was well worth it. After one night of driving after putting on coils, i already ate through the plastic.

Thanks for the DIY.

Just gotta force the wires /plugs through the grommet or cut a bigger hole. Thats what i did, took me awhile cut myself coupla times but its worth it
Old 04-13-11, 06:35 AM
penusai
Driver School Candidate

i should mention this to a friend...
Old 04-28-11, 04:02 PM
4urxtc
Lead Lap

I am going to do this coming up this weekend. Thanks for the great write up....
Old 05-04-11, 10:36 PM
Mhowski
Driver School Candidate

This was a Major PAIN. I'm glad it's done, but it was by no means easy or fun. My plugs BARELY had enough slack to plug in once I re-routed it.
Old 05-30-11, 08:49 AM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I cannot for the life of me get the plugs out of the inside cabin. Any tips for releasing these from the clips inside the car? I got one loose but the green one, and the upper white one are giving me hell and it's probably the most uncomfortable place to work in lol.

They are the plugs that are near the clutch pedal:

Name:  P3128707.jpg
Views: 1295
Size:  127.3 KB

For the guys that chose to just relocate the harness higher in the fender, how low are you? Do you have any issues with hitting the wiring now?

Last edited by HiPSI; 05-30-11 at 08:57 AM.
Old 05-30-11, 11:12 AM
Spooled
Lead Lap

I dont know if it has been mentioned in this thread or not. I see some posts about extending wires. NEVER extend SRS (airbag) wires.
Old 05-30-11, 11:32 AM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Spooled
I dont know if it has been mentioned in this thread or not. I see some posts about extending wires. NEVER extend SRS (airbag) wires.
What's the result if they are extended?
Old 05-30-11, 12:16 PM
Spooled
Lead Lap

Well, usually the only way to extend wires is to solder in extensions. You're not supposed to solder SRS wires due to possible variant resistance/or open you can create in the wires. Pretty much just a saftey item.

Quick Reply: DIY Tire Well Harness Relocation