Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

DIY Tire Well Harness Relocation

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-12, 12:53 AM
driver88
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1JZPWRD
Has anyone relocated the airbag harness or the hood cable?

If so, how? and did you still rub this yellow wire?
Anyone done this?? No cutting right?? is there slack to move it up higher?

Last edited by driver88; 12-13-12 at 01:15 AM.
Old 12-13-12, 01:44 AM
ArodDaLob
Lexus Test Driver

yellow srs wires are too short to be relocated without cutting and extending, which is not recommended. Due to electrical magic that I can neither understand nor confirm, it may render your airbags useless. We've all seen those safety videos of the no-helmet-wearing watermelons riding bicycles. No one wants that all over their interior. you'll just have to figure out a way to secure it way up onto the frame.

The hood latch, on the other hand is pretty simple, it took me an hour or so the first time to figure out a way to do it, but once i figured out a plan, it was pretty simple.

step 1. locate hood latch release lever under your dash. (I'm gonna assume this is common knowledge)

step 2. tug on the release lever while positioning your head awkwardly underneath the dash so you can see what's going on. You're going to want to undo the cable that hooks onto the back of the release lever. It's the same setup as the throttle cable and door handle so you'll have to rotate it a bit and slide it sideways to freedom.

step 3. undo any clips holding the cable in place inside (i think there was actually only 1, but been a while since I did one of these)

step 4. Get out from the dash and take a breather to recover from the light-headed feeling. Get into the wheelwell and yank the cable out into the wheelwell (make sure the cable is actually free from any clips, wire binds, etc inside the cabin).

step 5 Undo any clips/zipties securing the cable onto the frame.

step 6 see the hole in the frame that the hood release cable is coming out of towards the front of the wheelwell? I'm gonna call this the Bore A. Forcefeed the cable back into Bore A into the frame like it's comatose, but make sure to feed the cable towards the back of the car.

step 7. now the hard part. There's another hole (Bore B) in the frame, this time, more towards the back of the wheelwell. IIRC, it was about a foot or so behind Bore A. Stick your finger into Bore B while feeding the cable through Bore A. Grab the cable with your finger through Bore B and pull it allllllll the way out. This step took so long for me the first time, 1. because I couldn't seem to get a grasp on the end of the cable through Bore B, and 2. the cable always got caught on something when trying to yank it through. What I did was as the cable was inside the frame, i forced it towards the outside of the car since the wall inside the frame will help guide the cable along to the Bore B.

step 8. The cable is now through. excellent! Now all you have to do is force the cable back into the cabin, hooking it onto the lever, and clipping it in place.

I'd post pics for reference but it's kinda a pita to jack up my car so my meager explanation will have to do. Hope i was able to help someone.

Last edited by ArodDaLob; 12-13-12 at 01:50 AM.
Old 12-13-12, 07:45 AM
SCgonecray
Driver School Candidate

completed this today, wasn't that hard to follow, and definitely gonna be drifting harcore now. lol
Old 12-13-12, 06:44 PM
chrisindub
Pole Position

Originally Posted by driver88
Anyone done this?? No cutting right?? is there slack to move it up higher?
Yes, I did this. There is slack to move it up higher out of the way. I drilled a couple holes and ran zipties through them to anchor them more lateral and higher in the fender out of the way from where it rubs.

FYI..... there have been a lot of studies with airbags vs airbags with seatbelts and you are only gaining about a 10-15% increased chance of survival with your front airbag + seatbelt vs just your seatbelt

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21720604
Old 01-16-14, 07:31 PM
Candela
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just did this today, wish you would have emphasized the unplugging.

Quick tip, I slid the driver's seat all the way back before unhooking the battery, removed the footwell panel, and also leaned that corner of the carpet out of the way to give me more room to unplug the wires.

I took off the retaining clip on the airbag plug to make more room to unplug the big white plug.

P.S. - It's much more difficult on a manual since there's a clutch master cylinder, but still doable.
Old 01-20-14, 04:56 AM
staypuff88
Driver School Candidate

question about this thread... I purchased my car lowered and while in motion my car currently died. I removed the tire and noticed that the wire were rubbed into and exposed. I believe this is the problem but has anyone else experienced the same thing as I did? I am currently trying to fix the wires and hopefully the car will start again and then relocate the wires. so I am just curious has this happened to anyone else...
Old 01-20-14, 07:52 PM
Lowlife24
Driver School Candidate

Another excellent write up this is gold and on tomorrows to do list
Old 06-11-14, 09:56 AM
vnaicker91
Driver School Candidate

This is a great write up! I did it a few months ago and it just seems like the better option then to cut and add wires. Be patient with it and it will come out looking good under the hood and you get no more tire rubbing your harness.
Old 07-23-14, 03:56 PM
sc4demon
Lexus Test Driver

Omg unplugging these plugs pissing me off I swear I just effed up my neck
Old 09-13-14, 11:46 PM
SourLex
Rookie

Default Footwell plugs hard to disconnect

For the guys that have done this, is there a trick to disconnecting the footwell plugs? They are hard to disconnect. Are there some tabs im suppose to push in or something? Because I dont see them, maybe I need a flash light, I worry that I might damage the plug/junction box. Its easy for the big plug but what about the other ones? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-17-14, 10:20 AM
vnaicker91
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SourLex
For the guys that have done this, is there a trick to disconnecting the footwell plugs? They are hard to disconnect. Are there some tabs im suppose to push in or something? Because I dont see them, maybe I need a flash light, I worry that I might damage the plug/junction box. Its easy for the big plug but what about the other ones? Any help would be appreciated.
They are just on there really tight. I used a flash light to see what im doing and I had to lay on my back and get as far under the dash as I could to see the plugs. I used a small flat screwdriver to push the tabs on the plugs in, while slowly pulling on them. One of the plugs was hard to get out so I used the same flat screwdriver to push the tab in and gently pry it out.

Good Luck!
Old 02-13-15, 04:36 PM
edaeddy
Driver School Candidate

How in the world do I get this out of the metal piece? I tired cuttin a little piece but Im afraid of cutting to much If need be I will get another but I want to know what I can do
Old 02-13-15, 04:54 PM
megamax
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

iam digging this!!
Old 02-14-15, 01:04 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

man people do way too much work for this. all you need to do is tuck it up into the fender, it takes 5 minutes, there's no need to reroute into the engine bay. but whatever i guess.
Old 02-14-15, 05:37 AM
edaeddy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by oldManTan
man people do way too much work for this. all you need to do is tuck it up into the fender, it takes 5 minutes, there's no need to reroute into the engine bay. but whatever i guess.
Any suggestions on getting the harness out of the plate??

Quick Reply: DIY Tire Well Harness Relocation