SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

V12...

Old 03-13-10, 08:30 AM
718murdoc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V12...

Its a known fact that Toyota produced a V12 engine for the Toyota Century platform, a luxury limousine offered to presidential figures & wealthy businessmen. The actual car was never exported from japan, it was strictly a japan spec vehicle never meant for US soil. I have seen videos circulating around the web of a legendary MK4 Toyota Supra that has the 1GZFE-V12 engine shoehorned into the engine bay. Ive also seen various builds from other car owners that have opted to do this complex transplant, all in an effort to have the credential of a V12. I have searched CL for a few hours & found that this is not a new subject. Im aware that many on this forum will immediately reject the idea of putting a complex V12 into an already complicated car such as the SC. The weight is another thing that has to be addressed. Also if one was to attempt an engine swap like this, everything from- Intake to engine management-(ETC) would have to be custom fabricated.
Ive pitched this idea/debate to some of my friends that are also SC/supra enthusiasts with mixed reviews. Many of them tell me "oh just throw a JZ engine in there, add a TT to the equation and call it a day"
I would but that has been done to death not saying I dislike the I6 or the V8 I highly regard these engines for their power & seemingly limitless performance, but every time I go to car shows that feature our cars & supras everyone takes the ME-TOO route & it becomes a conformity. I would only consider doing this swap to have a unique modification that gets recognized at car shows and the idea that your the only one with this engine in an SC. One major obstacle that will challenge anyone that would attempt this is finding the actual motor and having it shipped over seas.
This thread is just to get feedback on the present pros & cons of someone crazy enough to do it. Please feel free to post your comments, I am open to all questions & suggestions. Thank you.

PS: the V12 does fit, and to get an idea of the size...
same length of the I6 and same width of the V8 give or take an inch.

Last edited by 718murdoc; 03-13-10 at 09:08 AM.
Old 03-13-10, 08:35 AM
1JZ/240sx
Pole Position

Yea its possible.. but a 1GZ is rare, and parts are super hard to get..
Old 03-13-10, 09:03 AM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is the top secret supra with the twin turbo 1GZFE
Old 03-13-10, 09:03 AM
718murdoc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1JZ/240sx
Yea its possible.. but a 1GZ is rare, and parts are super hard to get..
The century is a grey market car like the japan spec skyline, so no one will have parts. everything has to be imported or fabricated.
Old 03-13-10, 09:10 AM
Gspec
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd love to see this....Props for thinking outside the box.
Old 03-13-10, 09:14 AM
718murdoc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gspec
I'd love to see this....Props for thinking outside the box.
Thank you.
Old 03-13-10, 09:45 AM
1siksc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here, check this out. This guy found one on a japan yahoo site, so you need to do a google.co.jp search or ebay.co.jp or something... This dude put one in his mk2 Celica.
http://forums.celicasupra.com/showthread.php?t=42743
Old 03-13-10, 10:01 AM
GZZ-TT
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're right, this idea has been around for years now- before I started my TT V8 6-Speed build I realized that the V12 was in a completely different ball park even from that massive undertaking.

You will end up spending over $15K, possibly even over $20K to get this 'base' stock idea to reality, unless you are an engine/parts importer yourself, and unless you would be doing and know how to do every single part of the install process including fabrication.

If you install this 'base' engine stock, it only has around 300hp, and you will be stuck with a 'luxury mode' automatic transmission.

Or are you going to make custom adapters and clutch/flywheel to fit a V160 Getrag from the Supra TT? Custom engine mounts, trans mount, etc etc. Then add $6K+ to the costs. Now figure out how to wire that. Remember that the 1GZ comes with two separate ecu's to control the one engine...
Personally I would try to grab a front half cut, or I wouldn't do it. That is the only way to get everything that you WILL need.

Maybe fabricate a custom TT kit to raise the horsepower up to a "respectable" 600 hp..? Add $10K to your costs, and now you need some sort of stand alone engine management in place of the dual ECU's. Add maybe $5K after all the electronics and TUNING.

Then you'll need a custom driveshaft to hold all that torque, as well you will need a Supra TT or GS400 pumpkin to match the gearing, along with a suitable TRD or Tomei, KAAZ, etc diff... Add $3k ish once everything is up to spec.

Oh, you'll need to fabricate new forged engine internals to handle even 600 hp worth of boost on that engine, along with all supporting mods such as alum. radiator, etc etc etc Hmm... add $10k+

Then of course you'll need nice rims/tires, paint, kit, lighting, stereo, interior, BIG BRAKES, and custom axles to handle all the torque as well... Add... $13K+

So, now at that point you will have a a very nice show SC!
Just check your bank account first to make sure you have in the ball park of: $60K+ ish! Best of luck man!
Counting the cost of the SC, and other maintenance items you'll need for the car to get it up to spec with all your new power and looks, I'd say $70K plus or minus .75 cents is a very likely TOTAL.

I think I would rather have a $70K V12 Supra

Last edited by GZZ-TT; 03-13-10 at 10:26 AM.
Old 03-13-10, 10:27 AM
718murdoc
Lead Lap

^^ Good point
Old 03-13-10, 10:36 AM
infiniti24
Lead Lap

gahh that would be greatttt
Old 03-13-10, 10:50 AM
LexFather

It might be cheaper to get a German V-12 and find a way to bolt it in...parts will be easier to find (not easy but easier lol) and the latter ones have factory turbos so you modify that....
Old 03-13-10, 11:36 AM
zhillz
Lead Lap

A lot of work and money for under 300hp and only 350lb torque
Old 03-13-10, 11:39 AM
718murdoc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
It might be cheaper to get a German V-12 and find a way to bolt it in...parts will be easier to find (not easy but easier lol) and the latter ones have factory turbos so you modify that....
Will be looking in to this.
Old 03-13-10, 11:54 AM
718murdoc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by zhillz
A lot of work and money for under 300hp and only 350lb torque
That would suck to only have 300hp ,but if anyone was to do this swap they'd better be reaching an excess of 600hp or more via turbochargers...
or why do it at all.
Old 03-13-10, 11:59 AM
718murdoc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1siksc
Here, check this out. This guy found one on a japan yahoo site, so you need to do a google.co.jp search or ebay.co.jp or something... This dude put one in his mk2 Celica.
http://forums.celicasupra.com/showthread.php?t=42743
Great find ^^^
I wish that guy all the luck with his project.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: V12...