SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

V12...

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-10, 05:22 PM
BostonSC4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just in case anyone missed my post on page 3, I have a clip of the 1gz in action on a Century.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRneI...eature=related
Old 03-14-10, 05:26 PM
GZZ-TT
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gspec
that $70k estimate had me rotflmao.
Originally Posted by UZZ-TT
You will end up spending over $15K, possibly even over $20K to get this 'base' stock idea to reality, unless you are an engine/parts importer yourself, and unless you would be doing and know how to do every single part of the install process including fabrication.
Originally Posted by 1992Lexus
Its not everyday that we read about a V-12 on here, just mainly swaps and turbo's.
.. You joined CL in Jan 2009 lol but I don't think anyone is knocking his idea, or saying it's a bad idea. I think everyone would love to see him do it, but if he wants pros and cons- there are alot of cons compared to the pros. Just how it is. Money talks! Go buy a half cut and start already!
Old 03-14-10, 06:01 PM
718murdoc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BostonSC4
That would be an incredible build. I'd LOVE to see it done.

and HEAR it done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRneI...eature=related
That thing sounds menacing.
Old 03-14-10, 06:39 PM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRonTom3
there was a 1gz on ebay 2 months ago. $6000
irrelevant

Originally Posted by 718murdoc
Yeah that thread had me glued to it. I wish the guy was finished with the build so I can get an idea of what to look out for.
if im not mistaken that guy ditched the project.

i almost bought one a while ago but its not worth it, unless you can fabricate and have access to a CNC, its useless engine if you just want a v12 then do it but its really not gonna make enough power. i have been doing research on this engine for 3 years.

these ecus are made to handle 12 cylinders. but wait and read everything first.
http://www.motec.com/m880/m880overview/
or
http://www.motec.com/m800/m800overview/

im gonna start with some background info

the toyota century was launched way back in 1967 as an executive limousine for high ranking japanese governmental and business officials, with modified versions used for the japanese imperial household. the name centurey came form its from its launch date marking the 100th anniversary of the birth of toyota founder sakichi toyoda. in 1997 they started with their gzg-50 that features the distinct v12! and did you know that before the body is painted it is literally polished? and for paying 95k us dollars equivalent that is pretty nuts.

the engine has distinct features such as
dedicated left and right banks with identical parts for each
6 bolt mains
forged steel crank
alloy block and heads
continuously variable inlet valve timing (VVTI), quad cams, the vvti only controls the inlet cams, changing timing up to 60 degrees, both working in tandem the valve timing is continuous, not just when you get on it. its always changing depending on your every input.
variable length inlet runners (ACIS) this is used for better economy and to control the torque curve depending on throttle inputs.

direct fire ignition with waste spark, goes along with the sequential injection
sequential injection (dual fire)
dual electronic throttle control (‘fly by wire’)

as for spark plugs you need Denso Iridium SK16R11 1.0-1.1mm gaps you need 12!! basically 150 bucks for just plugs. i belive there are some denso iridiums that are 32 bucks each, if thats the same ne that you need then you are gonna spend about 420 on plugs.

you need 8 liters of oil 5w 30

oil filter is a Toyota 15601-68010, this filter is very big , if im not mistaken its the same one used on the diesel landcruisers.

the firing order is 1-4-9-8-5-2-11-10-3-6-7-12 with each coil pack wired to its pair, they fire at the same time 1 and 11, 3 and 9, 5 and 7, 2 and 12, 4 and 10, 6 and 8.

there are two crank sensors set at 180 degrees from each other each controlling its bank of 6 cylinders.

350ft/lb of torque is avalable at 1000rpm which is pretty crazy!

the engine has 3 timing chains, each is spring loaded and oil pressure controlled.

there are 4 knock sensors, then there is a problem that the engine may not run if the ecu's are taken off and one is ran since they are linked together, so the whole harness has to be remade to be used with one ecu. then there is the problem with the injectors firing at the same time. most ecus can fire a single one at the same time this means two injectors and 2 plugs need to fire simultaneously.

then you remember that there are two throttle bodies each is drive by wire and they are controlled independently by the ecu's, with a stand alone you may be forced to run a cable throttle, then when maintaining idle or while cruising you may run into fine tuning issues with the cable system versus the drive by wire.

the fans are hydraulic similar to the sc400 fans and the aristo fan, these are electronically controlled, you could ditch the hydro fan and run electric fans, the pump is separate unlike the aristo which is combined into the water pump.

if the engine is a 2001 or higher then it came with a 6speed auto if it didnt then it came with a 4speed auto witch is in the same family as the A342E which was attached to the 1jzgte in the 1990 to early 1993 mk3 zja70. which would mean that it would be easier to mate the r154 up to the engine or the 6 speed. this brings us to the next section where the flywheel bolts are not similar to the jz engine but more like the UZ flywheel bolt pattern, which would force you to go with a custom flywheel CNC'd to match your application. yet again this brings us to the next hurdle, are you adapting the bell housing to the engine or are you going to use the 1gz bellhousing and adapt it to the the transmission? well that depends on your transmission choice the r154 has a bellhousing that can be separated from the transmission but the v160 (6spd) does not have a separate bellhousing its part of the transmission its self.

now back to the engine, it is recommended that 97 octane or better ld always be used in the engine. keep in mind that everything on the two banks is paired and linked to an identical piece on the other bank, there is two of everything.

i think that unless you find a front clip you are working blind and basically your build is close to impossible. if you dont have a clip you will basically be rewiring everything without knowing exactly what they correspond to on the car its self.

oh my god i typed alot! i hope you all find my post very eye opening and useful. i say just forget the v12 its not ment to be LOL

PS: look out for my build guys, ill post new stuff soon!
Old 03-14-10, 06:49 PM
MarcusMIA
Pole Position

High HP numbers are pointless unless you're gonna track a car, I guess... Who would not like to roam their city in something carrying that V12?

And yeah, a bulb lit up in my head when RedPhoenix mentioned Japanese HP regulations. Very true. With a tune that engine would be scary...

I think some people here are underrating the wow factor. Think about this: Do you think the guy that owns a V12 SC would give a flying **** if your 2JZ was "faster"? Here's a better question: When all your cars are parked next to each other at the show, do you think the people looking at the V12 will care about how much faster the 1JZs and 2JZs are?

No, they won't, and you're gonna be right next to them; just as amazed and astonished... making your 2JZ setup look typical. I guarantee you that your 2JZ will automatically lose all chances of winning best in show when this V12 arrives.

Edit: Money aside.
Old 03-14-10, 06:52 PM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MarcusMIA
High HP numbers are pointless unless you're gonna track a car, I guess... Who would not like to roam their city in something carrying that V12?

And yeah, a bulb lit up in my head when RedPhoenix mentioned Japanese HP regulations. Very true. With a tune that engine would be scary...

I think some people here are underrating the wow factor. Think about this: Do you think the guy that owns a V12 SC would give a flying **** if your 2JZ was "faster"? Here's a better question: When all your cars are parked next to each other at the show, do you think the people looking at the V12 will care about how much faster the 1JZs and 2JZs are?

No, they won't, and you're gonna be right next to them; just as amazed and astonished... making your 2JZ setup look typical. I guarantee you that your 2JZ will automatically lose all chances of winning best in show when this V12 arrives.

still not worth it read my post!
Old 03-14-10, 07:27 PM
BostonSC4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MarcusMIA

I agree with you 100%

Cleanshots- Wow, thats quite a bit of useful information. That motor is simply a work of art. My only response would be this. You make a strong point of how the absence of the 2 stock ECU's would screw up everything. A front clip would certainly be ideal, but how hard would it be to source the 1GZ ECU's from Japan in the event of their absence? Certainly Toyota would be able to point this guy in the right direction atleast to sourcing one, well two. Thats all I have, but if that information was off the top of your head then that sir is impressive.
Old 03-14-10, 07:33 PM
GZZ-TT
Pole Position

Old 03-14-10, 08:29 PM
Clean400
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it would be an insane undertaking. Nobody has done it in an SC. Would be the ultimate GT lexus roadcar. If you do it mad props.

Just don't break the bank trying. If you're well off why not.

To say the least... the Celica V12 is the ultimate definition of a sleeper lol!!! Imagine the conversation at a red light when a guy asks you what's under the hood.

Last edited by Clean400; 03-14-10 at 08:33 PM.
Old 03-14-10, 08:30 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just "scanned" through this thread and while there is a certain "Wow" factor to shoehorning a V12 into the SC, it is, IMHO, a totally ludicrous idea. It would cost more than UZZ-TT suggested, and the enormous amount of custom work and fabtication to get this done would not be worth the return.

If you want "Wow", then put in a FI V8 as they are rare in the SC, or swap in a LSX motor and FI that. Both are wow, and would not be nearly as difficult to complete as the V12 swap.

My .02.

Ryan
Old 03-14-10, 11:13 PM
Avarec
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SC400TT
I just "scanned" through this thread and while there is a certain "Wow" factor to shoehorning a V12 into the SC, it is, IMHO, a totally ludicrous idea. It would cost more than UZZ-TT suggested, and the enormous amount of custom work and fabtication to get this done would not be worth the return.

If you want "Wow", then put in a FI V8 as they are rare in the SC, or swap in a LSX motor and FI that. Both are wow, and would not be nearly as difficult to complete as the V12 swap.

My .02.

Ryan

what he said
Old 03-14-10, 11:58 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

V12, neat...5.0 V12, blah...TQ yes, HP not so much. "WOW" factor, for sure, and lots of it..then again dropping in a LS7, twin turbo with a Tremec 6-speed very wow...for the overall cost, IMO to get all of the above, and it make sense, go with the LA 8.4L V10 from the Viper..510ci, VVT, 600HP, 560ft. lbs tq..you can find them complete with trans for $10-15k.

Yes its a 90* v10, but if your going to spend that kind of money for something "one of a kind" take the time and make it fit..
Old 03-14-10, 11:58 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

this is a pipe dream. i guess props for "thinking outside the box" but then i should get props for wanting to put a beams 6spd swap in the SC. lol.

basically this thread is only useful for information about that motor/car. no one on this forum and most likely on this continent will ever successfully get this done so lets all move on to something more realistic.

wow factors are only cool when you have a reality tv show and someone pays for all the expenses of you doing something of this magnitude.
Old 03-15-10, 12:04 AM
92blacktt
Intermediate

Im thinking of just importing a toyota century, I have to wait another 2 years before the 97s will be legal for importing.
Old 03-15-10, 02:35 AM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

well if you had the stock ecu's then whats the point if you cant modify it, plus do dont have your gas pedal so you cant get an input for the throttle. so then you go stand alone and you run into all the things i mentioned.

like zack said, (UZZ-TT)... lets just say 60k-70k for the complete thing, 60-70 k put into any car could make it win best in show it doesn't need to have the v12. if i had 70k to spend on my car, jesus. well first off ill make 1500hp or more if i feel like it, screw a 3.4L ill get a custom block made and get it up to a 3.6, 3.8 hell ill go 4L 2jz and make hp and tq like nothing. then get some crazy wheels, make then even more crazy! body work do a paint job and sick bodykit. do a crazy stereo system and amazing interior with bald eagle lol. FORGET ABOUT THE V12! if it was possible id have it already cause the one i had found was only $2000, i even paid the guy and backed out before he shipped it to me. its useless unless u are a millionaire.

Quick Reply: V12...