SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Removing Side Marker Lights?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-02, 03:12 PM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Removing Side Marker Lights?

How do you remove the side markers? I've looked it over and I can't see any other way to do it than remove the whole bumper. I'm going to make the clear side markers and already have all the parts and tools. Any suggestions?
Old 05-28-02, 03:18 PM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Vegas,

You don't need to remove the entire front bumper.

If you look in the wheel well, there are about 4 screws holding in the plastic cover. Remove those screws and with a little force, bend those plastic covers in. You should then be able to put your hand in there and remove the side marker.

You can if you want, remove the entire front bumper, but that's just more work for you. By the way, if you decide to remove the front bumper, take some pictures for all of us!

Good Luck,
Tony
Old 05-28-02, 04:06 PM
Aznteazer
Lexus Test Driver

It took me freakin 4 hrs to actually figure out how to take off the lights and put the clears on (including cigarette breaks in between). And the worst part is that I didn't put in the right bulb so I need to take them off and replace it with the right wattage.
Old 05-28-02, 04:16 PM
SilverBolt 219
Pole Position

Hey Aznteazer, speaking of lights,, it says you have neon strobes as part of your system. I'm thinking of doing the same. I'm sure that some people think that it is "non-characteristic" of a lexus, or that they seem out of place?? I think it would be great as long as they were concealed. And do you have any pics?? Thanks.
-Johnny
Old 05-28-02, 04:26 PM
wolfy187
Pole Position

aznteazer, where did you get your lights???

i have a white body kit thats needs to have those replaced.

Arthur
Old 05-28-02, 04:37 PM
Aznteazer
Lexus Test Driver

The strobes i have are orange and my car is Teal. It doesn't really go well, i should've gotten black lights, but when it strobes it looks nice. I still haven't gotten my digital camera to take pics. I think its been discussed in this forum that it's a non-characteristic of a lexus to have strobes underneath and inside ur car. Strobes in ur trunk make ur system stand out.

My lights are from www.autonetperformance.com Its a ripoff, $160, but I was just too impatient to make my own.

Last edited by Aznteazer; 05-28-02 at 04:38 PM.
Old 06-06-02, 11:28 AM
SC400onDubs
Rookie

Aznteazer, I bought the same ones from autonet performance took over a month because they were on back order. Make sure you don't use a high wattage bulb because the rounded lenses inside gets yellowish after a while.
Old 06-06-02, 02:37 PM
Aznteazer
Lexus Test Driver

uhhh, i think i see a dark ring inside the marker, but i think thats cuz my bulb is dark blue. hopefully
Old 02-13-03, 11:38 AM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Out in the cold Michigan weather, I struggled to take the light out for an hour. I was able to pull out the wheel well cover, but failed to figure out how to remove the side marker. I tried feeling around inside of the bumper, but no luck.
Worse thing is I lost a screw in the snow... Searched for it for another 20 minutes, but no luck again.
I'm angry at myself.
Old 02-13-03, 03:48 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Chrono,

Take the headlight out first. Then you can see what you are doing.

MW
Old 02-13-03, 07:15 PM
undefeatedsc3
Pole Position

Vegas -
Much easier than you think it is. It took me about two hours to figure out how to nab 'em off the first time. Just take off all of the bolts holding one of your side splash guards (including two philips screws in the wheel well and just slowly bend it back and with a flashlight look up in the front bumper at the sidemarker. It will be much easier to see and figure out by doing this. You can just use a socket (I cant remember size, just play with it) and unscrew the nut on each side of the marker that holds it in place (there will be two small nuts) heh heh . Then you can just pop the housing out and unscrew the bulb mount. PM me if you get confused.
-Buck
Old 02-13-03, 07:35 PM
SCSC4
Rookie

Heres a picture that might help
Attached Thumbnails Removing Side Marker Lights?-sidemarker.jpg  
Old 02-14-03, 12:29 AM
Phoenix88
Lead Lap

Originally posted by ACleanSC4
Hey Vegas,

You don't need to remove the entire front bumper.

If you look in the wheel well, there are about 4 screws holding in the plastic cover. Remove those screws and with a little force, bend those plastic covers in. You should then be able to put your hand in there and remove the side marker.

You can if you want, remove the entire front bumper, but that's just more work for you. By the way, if you decide to remove the front bumper, take some pictures for all of us!

Good Luck,
Tony
Hey Tony, do you have to take the wheel off or can you just turn it so its a bit out of the way?
Old 02-14-03, 10:44 AM
undefeatedsc3
Pole Position

Originally posted by Phoenix88
Hey Tony, do you have to take the wheel off or can you just turn it so its a bit out of the way?
Man, I dont think Ill ever figure out how you guys get to the marker from this method...I spent an hour trying to figure it out but that area is just too narrow for my hands.... Much less a screwdriver or socketwrench.
Old 02-14-03, 11:00 AM
Phoenix88
Lead Lap

Well I know we did it to my friends wrx, let me see if I have photos of the install ... I will post it up for you, should give you an idea, for his car we did remove the tire, we installed a cold air intake.

Quick Reply: Removing Side Marker Lights?