SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Inexperienced Snow Driver of SC 400- Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-10, 08:05 PM
Nikolaos
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inexperienced Snow Driver of SC 400- Questions

I have a '95 SC400. I tried driving to work a few weeks ago when it snowed and I was slipping and sliding all over the place. It was treacherous. Since the SC 400 is rear wheel drive, I read that I should put weight in the trunk. Do you guys recommend that?

Also, what's the deal with the electronics of the car? Do you guys recommend driving with the O/D switch on or off in the snow? ( what does that switch even do?)

Secondly, by the shifter, there's the little switch that says "PWR-ECT- NORM". What is that and which one do I want it to be on in the snow?

Thirdly, I want the Traction ON when it's snowing, correct? Can I leave it on all the time, what exactly does it do to create more traction?

Thanks for the help. I know, I know... I'm a complete novice with this stuff, it's embarrassing lol.

Nik
Old 02-05-10, 08:11 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

You do want the traction on at all times, get some snow tires and you'll be ok.
If that doesnt work you'll need some chains
Old 02-05-10, 08:18 PM
tuterz
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

snow tires and weigh down the trunk.. ... traction control on at all times.. the other switch .. leave it in normal.. power is for if you are towing or something if im thinking correctly..
Old 02-05-10, 08:29 PM
nfordhk
Lead Lap

O/D On. Traction On. Normal Mode... I thought pwr was for faster acceleration it makes the peddle more sensitive but isn't ideal for "racing" because it shifts at a lower rpms?
Old 02-05-10, 08:54 PM
718murdoc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Nikolaos
I have a '95 SC400. I tried driving to work a few weeks ago when it snowed and I was slipping and sliding all over the place. It was treacherous. Since the SC 400 is rear wheel drive, I read that I should put weight in the trunk. Do you guys recommend that?

Also, what's the deal with the electronics of the car? Do you guys recommend driving with the O/D switch on or off in the snow? ( what does that switch even do?)

Secondly, by the shifter, there's the little switch that says "PWR-ECT- NORM". What is that and which one do I want it to be on in the snow?

Thirdly, I want the Traction ON when it's snowing, correct? Can I leave it on all the time, what exactly does it do to create more traction?

Thanks for the help. I know, I know... I'm a complete novice with this stuff, it's embarrassing lol.

Nik
Answers:
Your O/D is for overdrive,in overdrive the transmissions rpms are higher than the engines.
PWR ECT NRM changes shift points on the transmission at high rpms
Trac is better when left on in snowy or wet conditions.
An LSD is the best rear end to have for all bad whether conditions.I used to have an open diff, and it was horrible in even light snow. I was reluctant to get an LSD because I thought they were like POSI's and as you know positrac rear ends are notorious for sliding in wet conditions. But my friend that had an MK3 supra said that his LSD had never given him any trouble and said the LSD's are designed for better traction.
Old 02-06-10, 12:27 PM
Nikolaos
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. Only 2 inches of snow here in Brooklyn, NY so I'm going to test out the car later. It's not so bad out, so I'll just drive slowly.
Old 02-06-10, 12:58 PM
Teal Sc400
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikolaos
Thanks. Only 2 inches of snow here in Brooklyn, NY so I'm going to test out the car later. It's not so bad out, so I'll just drive slowly.
Good snow/chain tires and put sand/salt bags in the trunk for weight, if you have an option don't drive the Sc in snowy weather.

You luck out in NY, we have about 33inches and it's still snowing in Maryland.
Old 02-06-10, 01:02 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

best to leave the SC in the garage and take the subway !
Old 02-06-10, 05:03 PM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

if your just going down your lane, i suggest puttin the car into 2nd gear, or 2 if you have a auto. this way you wont spin when you launch if your gentle and the car wont shift which can cause wheel spinning>crash>death lol
Old 02-06-10, 10:49 PM
Nikolaos
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bryan767
if your just going down your lane, i suggest puttin the car into 2nd gear, or 2 if you have a auto. this way you wont spin when you launch if your gentle and the car wont shift which can cause wheel spinning>crash>death lol
Bryan,

Should I pull out of my spot going from "Park" directly into "2nd"?
Old 02-06-10, 10:56 PM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

yup. its what i do when its snowy. or if im on a hill with snow/ice. just dont mash teh gas, slowly accelerate. once you get onto the highway go ahead and push it forward into "D". you can go up to like 40mph in 2nd btw.

if your in "D" and you need to slow down bc your coming up on ice, push your O/D button on the shifter. itll kick it down so you dont have to use your brakes. because braking while on ice is BAD. let your engine brake for you by down shifting and you letting off the gas. i use it like a j-brake on tractor trailer trucks

Last edited by bryan767; 02-06-10 at 11:00 PM.
Old 02-07-10, 01:11 AM
Clean400
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It depends where you live. The SC can be driven in winter but if you live in a heavy winter climate it's not the safest car in the winter by a long shot!

I live in Canada and I stored my SC because I slid off the highway just driving in a straight line going 80 kmph... went into a ditch no damage because of a huge snow bank. I have brand new expensive winter tires. I wasn't changing lanes, accelerating. Just coasting at 80kmph because it was a snow storm. There were cavaliers and other cars passing me going 130kmph no problem.

The problem with the SC in winter is that it is a HEAVY car. It is also VERY long and all the weight is in the front of the car and there is very little weight over the rear tires. Therefore it's easy for the rear of the car to get away from you and out of control.

Honestly, every person I know with an SC stores there car in winter where I live. It's just really impractical winter car. In my city a lot of guys just buy "winter beaters" and just store our nice cars until' the snow starts to melt. I picked up my winter beater for $780 and couldn't be happier lol.
Old 02-07-10, 04:14 AM
djb5118
Lead Lap

i think the O/D button is actually the same has having a D3. It shifts down to third gear and stops the car from shifting into 4th