SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

A/C Heater Control is out of Whack... Or maybe I am!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-09, 08:19 AM
deviat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Heater Control is out of Whack... Or maybe I am!

I have this issue with my heater/AC. It works, I get hot air and Cold AC when I select them, but I cannot control the blower motor speed. A few months ago it was pegged on high speed, then it got stuck on low speed after that. Now its getting colder, and the heater is blowing too slow to compete with the chill.

The car is stock everything, haven't done anything to make it do this, where should I begin to look, or tinker with in order to find the issue? I have plenty of hands on experience and technical knowhow to tackle the issue, and possibly repair electronics I just need a starting point. (Yes I've checked fuses, though that wouldn't make sense to me as it should be on a type of rheostat device right, that uses different levels of resistance to slow the motor down. ) If I'm wrong please correct me, my kids need the heater, I could tough it out with a coat. They can't. Thanks for anything fellas!

-Daniel
Old 12-07-09, 11:22 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I would begin to say its the climate control module/itself, going out. They are a known issue along with the blackened LCD going across the screen. I would start there. I wish I could tell you more.
Old 12-07-09, 11:25 AM
deviat
Driver School Candidate

I actually just found a post on here, that explains it as the transistor, and/or the resistor modules. I will report back once I test and get it running. The unit itself works, so I would have to rule it out. Unless I get no signals to the resistor block , or the transistor unit, then I can't say at all that I suspect my control unit.
Old 12-07-09, 03:18 PM
sa_dude1
Driver School Candidate

i have the same problem but instead of low speed mines stuck on high, i encountered this problem after they broke into my car and damaged my whole center console. lemme know what u figure out thanks
Old 12-07-09, 04:01 PM
SCVIP300
Pole Position

hmm... berry berry interesting ..... i'm in a similar boat.... i hope we get some more insightful responses...
Old 12-23-10, 10:13 PM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I Know im reviving an old thread from the dead...but has anyone resolved this? Is the whole climate control bad? I have 2 a good one with new screen stuck on high and a bleeding one fully functional. Should i take the front half off my stuck on high one with the back half of the bleeding screen one?
Old 12-23-10, 11:34 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

when i swapped my 92 to a 95 climate control, i lost all speed level settings. it blasts at full speed all the time
Old 12-24-10, 12:05 AM
matttai
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jadu
when i swapped my 92 to a 95 climate control, i lost all speed level settings. it blasts at full speed all the time
CC units between the years are not compatible

91-93
94-96
97-the rest

all have different model numbers and will give you only 2 fan speeds low and max if you switch between them.
Old 12-24-10, 11:20 AM
aporozco
Driver

anyone know why my fan blows only hot air (blazing hot at that) in every speed, unless I turn on the aircond.? happened after I had my alarm installed. Thanks
Old 12-26-10, 06:37 PM
RufRidn
Pole Position

Originally Posted by matttai
CC units between the years are not compatible

91-93
94-96
97-the rest

all have different model numbers and will give you only 2 fan speeds low and max if you switch between them.

good to know as that is the issue Im having. Mine is from a 98.
Old 12-27-10, 06:16 AM
deviat
Driver School Candidate

My particular issue was the fan speed control (Rheostat) located on the bottom side of the hvac box on the passenger side. IF you have the correct CC unit installed, this should be your problem. Mine only blew on low, and in the middle of a 110+ heatwave... I couldn't stand it any more. Cost me about $50 from the Zone. Special Order of course.
Old 12-27-10, 01:14 PM
petersc400
Driver School Candidate

Along similar HVAC lines... have any of you needed to replace the (for lack of correct terminology) the solar/light modules (like buttons) on the top of the dash-- one on each side? One of mine broke off exposing the metal ring below the plastic cap. I bought a replacement one from the dealer but was told I need to remove the dash to replace it-- is this correct? Any tips?
Old 12-27-10, 09:25 PM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

I just get hi and low, actually low seems like hi so maybe only medium...lol. I also have no rear defroster control. Should i swap the face with the original climate brain unit from the 93? I have a 93 car...dunno what year mine is from fyi!
Old 12-28-10, 03:48 AM
matttai
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by xxtoobsxx
I just get hi and low, actually low seems like hi so maybe only medium...lol. I also have no rear defroster control. Should i swap the face with the original climate brain unit from the 93? I have a 93 car...dunno what year mine is from fyi!
do a search on the part number should hopefully turn up the appropiate year for your CC unit...or put it on here maybe!
Old 12-28-10, 10:27 AM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by matttai
do a search on the part number should hopefully turn up the appropiate year for your CC unit...or put it on here maybe!
Hmm...ner thought about searching part number. I was going to take it to the dealership! lol

Quick Reply: A/C Heater Control is out of Whack... Or maybe I am!