SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

heat not working

Old 01-05-10, 11:03 AM
Shanty
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikolaos
Hey guys.

I have a 96 SC400. My AC blows like a dream, but my heat blows cold air. ICE COLD air. I live in NYC, so the weather is in the teens right now, so the heat would be much appreciated.

Sometimes I smell the heater working, sometimes I don't. Any ideas as to what the problem could be, with out taking it to a mechanic?
I have the same issue and my problem is the motor that controls the switch from heat to AC. My vehicle is a flood recovery so the motor got wacked by the water. I'm getting a used one from the junkyard but supposedly it's really hard to replace on your own.
Old 01-05-10, 12:45 PM
TRDmike
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Heater dont work...

Same problem here bought my SC w/ 1jz recently and heater don't work as well but checked all the lines and all are connected but my climate control only goes up to 30.5, is that normal??? Thinking the last owner installed the Japanese version climate control...
Old 01-17-10, 12:04 PM
LEXUSver
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bryan767
background of the car:

1992 sc300
1jzgte swap done by a shop
i just purchased the car, heat not working!

story:

alright, so i just traded my civic for this sc300 and come to find out the heat doesn't work. i did some googling and came across 2 threads on CL

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...eason-why.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...rol-valve.html

both of these have helped me narrow down my problem. on the second link, theres a picture that shows how the actuator and vacuum should be set up.

however im missing the vacuum that apparently comes off of the intake(?) and goes to the vsv. exactly where on the 1jzgte engine should this vacuum be coming from.

the charcoal canister only has 1 hose going to it (looks like its missing one hose that should be going to it, the one thats closer to the firewall), so i thought i could just connect the vsv to the canister with a hose. but i didnt really feel any vacuum from the canister. i tried this set up and it didnt do anything.

ALSO:
i found a hose, that looks to be the correct vacuum sitting behind the charcoal canister, it looks like someone just tucked it so you cant use it, since it was night time i couldnt trace exactly where those hose came from but it looked like it had an in line air filter (read check valve). like just a little screen that helps collect dust and debris. however the hose is pretty thick..

-and im almost positive this line comes from the intake. if your looking at the intake, the furthermost fitting with a hose closest to the firewall is what i believe to be the hose thats just draped behind the canister. again, i couldnt tell it was dark and i didnt wanna mess anything up while i was rummaging through everything.
This happened on mine before. Have you resolved your issue(s) yet? If not, let me know and I will take pictures of one of the possibilities.
Old 01-19-10, 03:08 PM
PoGikoSc4
Lead Lap

Hey CL MEMBERS

im a new member im also havin problem wit my heat..so i check my vacuum line just to see if they're all hook up correctly. come to find out that my vacuum supply line is hook up to the vsv switch valve but the other end of its line is not hook up to anything. im sorry if im not makin any sense..can anyone help me out on this pls. much appreciate

PoGi

Last edited by PoGikoSc4; 01-19-10 at 03:37 PM.
Old 01-19-10, 06:42 PM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

run that vacuum line to the actuator, like this

BUT RETURN IT TO HOW YOU SAW IT WHEN SUMMER STARTS!! or youll have hot a/c
Old 01-19-10, 08:04 PM
PoGikoSc4
Lead Lap

hey bryan767

thanks for the quick reply
i do hav the vsv supply hose routed directly to the actuator..when i trackd down where the other end of the vsv supply hose was. it wasnt hook up to anything. the other end of the vsv supply hose is just hangin close to the firewall.

PoGi
Old 01-20-10, 01:07 PM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

alright you have the same problem i had. your vacuum line isnt hooked up. look at the back side of your intake manifold. look for a nipple that doesnt have a hose on it, if there all on then go out to the store and buy a barbed vacuum T and some zip ties. then go and cut one of the vacuum lines that is the same thickness as your hose that should be going to the actuator. put the vacuum T in and hook up the actuator line to one end of the T, zip tie the hoses. then start your car, you'll have to get it warm first, and generally you need to be moving for the vacuum to suck the actuator so your heat switches on.

lemme know if that doesnt make sense.
Old 01-20-10, 03:26 PM
PoGikoSc4
Lead Lap

thanks bryan767
Old 01-20-10, 08:56 PM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

no problem man, hope it worked.
Old 12-23-10, 03:30 PM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry to revive this yet again. My heater is acting up again. I diagnosed the VSV/Actuator and it seems to be working fine. When I turn the ac/heater **** all the way on hot, it opens up the actuator or should I say the VSV has vacuum. When I turn it all the way on cold, it closes it up (no vacuum on VSV hoses). I am still not getting any heat. Do you guys have any other suggestions what could be wrong?
Old 12-23-10, 04:57 PM
imDementeD
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

^ same scenario with me..i tried what was suggested and still no heat ..some people said only over 2k rpm which still doesnt happen for me..
Old 12-24-10, 06:12 AM
twylie
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

is the climate throwing any code in diagnostic mode? Press Auto and Recirc buttons while turning ignition to ON. It will go through a diagnostic routine and throw any codes related to mix servos or blend door operation. Normal operation will show 00, any other codes will indicate something else to look into. There is one code (21 I think) that is related to the sun sensor and it will throw if you do the diagnostics in a garage. This will at least help eliminate any issues on the inside of the A/C assembly, leaving the heater valve/core to troubleshoot.
Old 12-24-10, 06:40 AM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by masagsxr
Sorry to revive this yet again. My heater is acting up again. I diagnosed the VSV/Actuator and it seems to be working fine. When I turn the ac/heater **** all the way on hot, it opens up the actuator or should I say the VSV has vacuum. When I turn it all the way on cold, it closes it up (no vacuum on VSV hoses). I am still not getting any heat. Do you guys have any other suggestions what could be wrong?
I notice you have a 99 SC400. Can you please take a look at this thread and help me out? A bad cell phone pic is good enough.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...re-for-me.html

In response to your question watch this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcL_0TWeZJY
The other problem could be that you such a large amount of air trapped in the system that it prevents any coolant from flow.

FYI you check the heater core hoses for heat, the metal fitting in my pic is the best place to check on the return hose.

Last edited by account2x; 12-24-10 at 07:12 AM.
Old 12-24-10, 11:12 AM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks. I am subscribed to EricTheCarGuy too hehehee... Maybe that is my problem.

Replied to your post......
Old 12-31-10, 02:29 PM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Default Valve passages clogged

Ok folks.. I found what the culprit is. I was going to flush the heater core as that seems to be the only problem upon watching tons of youtube videos specially one from (EricTheCarGuy). I took the hoses off from the VSV assembly and behold, the inlet line pass the primary hose that goes to the VSV out is clogged. The plastic pieces had melted and clogged up the passages so it is always on close position even though the unit looks like it still works (opens/closes) when adjusted on the climate control.

I have heat now but its just "a little bit warm" not "hot" like how I would like it to be first thing in the morning.

Here are some pictures.... By the way, can I just buy that piece instead of the whole assembly?
Attached Thumbnails heat not working-img_4872.jpg   heat not working-img_4873.jpg   heat not working-img_4875.jpg   heat not working-img_4876.jpg   heat not working-img_4877.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: heat not working