YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nah leave it as is Ill i like it...
Old 11-10-09, 01:39 PM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

i dont like those bumpers with the grills way up towards the hood it looks ugly.
Old 11-10-09, 04:30 PM
ill roller
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by YeA 2jZ
Nah leave it as is Ill i like it...
I'll probably just end up painting the whole roof when I get some spare cash to waste.

Originally Posted by Cleanshots
i dont like those bumpers with the grills way up towards the hood it looks ugly.
this better?

Old 02-20-14, 08:23 PM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

anybody else wrapped their roof recently? any pics? any pointers on how you did the cut line towards the rear glass?

My clearcoat is in really bad shape on my 400, and I'm thinking doing either a gloss black or satin black roof. My car is Platinum Silver Metallic
Old 02-20-14, 08:39 PM
Slaker13
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hit it with a couple coats of plasti dip, don't like the matte look? Then you hit it with a couple coats of glossifier, and guess what? If you don't like the look or did a bad job at masking...peels right off.
Or if you do quite like it either peel it off and go and get it done with paint or what the hell, just leave it!

And while you still have the dip in your hands, might as well change that chrome and your pillars as well!
Old 02-20-14, 09:50 PM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Slaker13
Hit it with a couple coats of plasti dip, don't like the matte look? Then you hit it with a couple coats of glossifier, and guess what? If you don't like the look or did a bad job at masking...peels right off.
Or if you do quite like it either peel it off and go and get it done with paint or what the hell, just leave it!

And while you still have the dip in your hands, might as well change that chrome and your pillars as well!
trust me, i've thought of this, but the clearcoat is peeling, so in my experience with plastidip, it will still show the unevenness in the texture. Also, It might be harder to peel off if i change my mind. But, idk, it might be worth a try. maybe i'm wrong
Old 02-21-14, 12:39 AM
Slaker13
Driver

Originally Posted by myLEXsc400
trust me, i've thought of this, but the clearcoat is peeling, so in my experience with plastidip, it will still show the unevenness in the texture. Also, It might be harder to peel off if i change my mind. But, idk, it might be worth a try. maybe i'm wrong
Oh that is very true, Unless you use like 15 coats or sand it with fine sand paper haha just kidding, the glossifier does make it a bit harder but not as hard as using a regular rattle can as a clear coat such as rustoleum, and removing the dip is definitely easier than paint. But I understand what you mean, I may try it if I ever stop by home depot and post the results
Old 02-21-14, 08:12 AM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

Are there any products that help in the removal of plastidip, if it comes out bad? you really got me thinking about doing this because it will be so much easier then vinyl wrapping. And can i just spray regular clearcoat over the plastidip?
Old 02-21-14, 10:44 AM
Slaker13
Driver

Are there any products that help in the removal of plastidip, if it comes out bad? you really got me thinking about doing this because it will be so much easier then vinyl wrapping. And can i just spray regular clearcoat over the plastidip?
Yea there definitely is it will reliquify the dip for removal or adjustments, I can link you if you'd like?
If you do it, for sure post pics of it because I really want to see how it comes out!

Yes you can, I have done that for my climate control and volume/starter ***** and an old badge (didn't have glossifier), comes out looking like paint. Try it out on a piece of old metal or something to get a feel for it and see if you like it
Also I'm not sure if you know, but when doing lines peel the masking tape off while semi-wet so the tape doesn't try to peel the dip off and royally **** you off, happened to me lol
Old 02-21-14, 12:11 PM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

Yea there definitely is it will reliquify the dip for removal or adjustments, I can link you if you'd like?
If you do it, for sure post pics of it because I really want to see how it comes out!

Yes you can, I have done that for my climate control and volume/starter ***** and an old badge (didn't have glossifier), comes out looking like paint. Try it out on a piece of old metal or something to get a feel for it and see if you like it
Also I'm not sure if you know, but when doing lines peel the masking tape off while semi-wet so the tape doesn't try to peel the dip off and royally **** you off, happened to me lol
I appreciate all the pointers! Please do post the link when you have a chance. I will be doing this in the next couple weeks. Its still really cold and winter-y in Chicago, so as soon as the weather gets nice, I'm tackling this. I will keep you posted.
Old 02-21-14, 02:51 PM
Slaker13
Driver

I appreciate all the pointers! Please do post the link when you have a chance. I will be doing this in the next couple weeks. Its still really cold and winter-y in Chicago, so as soon as the weather gets nice, I'm tackling this. I will keep you posted.
No problem, why keep useful information to yourself right?
https://www.dipyourcar.com/Dip-Dissolver.html that's the link to the dissolver (Mods I'm not endorsing or sponsoring dipyourcar dot com in any way, just helping a fellow member)

Oh yea no problem waiting isn't an issue, if anything I should do a tune up in the mean time since the previous owner neglected any kind of maintenance
Old 02-21-14, 06:18 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

plastidip is heaven. i have not had any bad experiences with it at all. the only thing i learned was, when you're masking something for like clean lines or whatever you wanna do to end the plastidip somewhere. make sure you peel it while it's wet still, the masking tape that is. if you wait for it to dry you'll have some nasty ripped lines. painting it is also way easier than actual spray paint or any other rattle can because you don't really lay down a coat and wait for it to dry, just keep spraying back and forth until everything is covered, it won't run unless you hold it in one spot, it won't bubble, you don't have to sand it, nothing. and if anyone is worried about it being hard to peel, don't worry, it's easier than peeling vinyl or even a sticker, it's seriously the easiest way to change the look of your car. once i take care of some rust on my car, im plastidipping the entire thing white with black roof until i have some cash for a legit paintjob. oh and it's also more durable than actual paint, won't peel off in car washes, and protects against pebbles like nothing else.

i sound like a salesman lol, i'll stop. I LOVE PLASTIDIP!!!! PLASTIDIP EVERYTHING!!!!
Old 02-22-14, 07:00 PM
Slaker13
Driver

Found myself in a home depot today so I picked up a couple cans of dip, here's the results lol Clear coat is on, but was too dark to take a picture with my phone by then (bad lighting) probably will take a pic of it sometime tomorrow
If you are planning to do this I highly recommend buying 3) cans of dip 2) cans of gloss, I went with rustoleum 1) roll of painters tape and a spray can gun (holds the can, Not needed but makes easier to manage, your finger will thank you ) I say this because I ran out of plasti dip AND gloss
Attached Thumbnails SC's with Vinyl/Painted Black Roof-1794562_644738558934667_2063107193_n.jpg  
Old 02-22-14, 08:16 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My roof is wrapped with satin black

Old 02-22-14, 10:23 PM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

Found myself in a home depot today so I picked up a couple cans of dip, here's the results lol Clear coat is on, but was too dark to take a picture with my phone by then (bad lighting) probably will take a pic of it sometime tomorrow
If you are planning to do this I highly recommend buying 3) cans of dip 2) cans of gloss, I went with rustoleum 1) roll of painters tape and a spray can gun (holds the can, Not needed but makes easier to manage, your finger will thank you ) I say this because I ran out of plasti dip AND gloss
not bad, dude, thats exactly what i wanted to see. If you are able to take some higher quality photos of the texture it would be greatly appreciated.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SC's with Vinyl/Painted Black Roof