Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > SC Models > SC 400/300
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

SC's with Vinyl/Painted Black Roof

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-09, 08:40 AM   #16
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (15)
 
YeA 2jZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: SC Land, FL
Posts: 5,260
Salty_Kev
Send a message via AIM to YeA 2jZ Send a message via MSN to YeA 2jZ
Default

Nah leave it as is Ill i like it...
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
__________________

Slowly modding....
Cardomain Page Please Vote
YeA 2jZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-09, 02:39 PM   #17
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (2)
 
Cleanshots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NorCal
Posts: 2,790
Send a message via AIM to Cleanshots
Default

i dont like those bumpers with the grills way up towards the hood it looks ugly.
__________________

94 Sc300 Blk on USB 5spd 1 of 227 #076
2Jz-gte, Turbonetics T72-70, aeromotive, R154, BC racing, koyo, Act, HKS Hi Power, zirgo, TRS, Momo, Tial, BrianCrower, Fluidamper
Check out my threads and leave some love.
Stage1: Build and GTE Swap.
Stage2: Paint!
Ongoing Photoshoot Thread.
Cleanshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-09, 05:30 PM   #18
ill roller
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: IL
Posts: 444
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeA 2jZ View Post
Nah leave it as is Ill i like it...
I'll probably just end up painting the whole roof when I get some spare cash to waste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleanshots View Post
i dont like those bumpers with the grills way up towards the hood it looks ugly.
this better?

Click the image to open in full size.
__________________


No For sale in your signature

SXE10 x JZZ30
ill roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-14, 09:23 PM   #19
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
myLEXsc400's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: IL
Posts: 813
Default

anybody else wrapped their roof recently? any pics? any pointers on how you did the cut line towards the rear glass?

My clearcoat is in really bad shape on my 400, and I'm thinking doing either a gloss black or satin black roof. My car is Platinum Silver Metallic
__________________
1996 SC400: BFI, straight dual exhaust with x-pipe to DynoMax mufflers. K&N filter. Supra TT KYB shocks and Tein springs. Hyper Silver XXR 521 18x8.5F and 18x10R. OEM lip. 97+ sides
1997 SC300: 1 of 120. BBS LM reps 19x8.5F 19x9.5R. LS400 BBK. Stance Coilovers. NA-T. SP63 turbo. TT ECU. Single 3-inch exhaust. A few other mods.
myLEXsc400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-14, 09:39 PM   #20
Slaker13
Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Slaker13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: California
Posts: 112
xXSlaker13Xx CallMeSlaker
Default

Hit it with a couple coats of plasti dip, don't like the matte look? Then you hit it with a couple coats of glossifier, and guess what? If you don't like the look or did a bad job at masking...peels right off.
Or if you do quite like it either peel it off and go and get it done with paint or what the hell, just leave it!

And while you still have the dip in your hands, might as well change that chrome and your pillars as well!
__________________

1995 Lexus SC300
P.O.P Holdin' it dowwnnnnn
Slaker13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-14, 10:50 PM   #21
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
myLEXsc400's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: IL
Posts: 813
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaker13 View Post
Hit it with a couple coats of plasti dip, don't like the matte look? Then you hit it with a couple coats of glossifier, and guess what? If you don't like the look or did a bad job at masking...peels right off.
Or if you do quite like it either peel it off and go and get it done with paint or what the hell, just leave it!

And while you still have the dip in your hands, might as well change that chrome and your pillars as well!
trust me, i've thought of this, but the clearcoat is peeling, so in my experience with plastidip, it will still show the unevenness in the texture. Also, It might be harder to peel off if i change my mind. But, idk, it might be worth a try. maybe i'm wrong
__________________
1996 SC400: BFI, straight dual exhaust with x-pipe to DynoMax mufflers. K&N filter. Supra TT KYB shocks and Tein springs. Hyper Silver XXR 521 18x8.5F and 18x10R. OEM lip. 97+ sides
1997 SC300: 1 of 120. BBS LM reps 19x8.5F 19x9.5R. LS400 BBK. Stance Coilovers. NA-T. SP63 turbo. TT ECU. Single 3-inch exhaust. A few other mods.
myLEXsc400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-14, 01:39 AM   #22
Slaker13
Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Slaker13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: California
Posts: 112
xXSlaker13Xx CallMeSlaker
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by myLEXsc400 View Post
trust me, i've thought of this, but the clearcoat is peeling, so in my experience with plastidip, it will still show the unevenness in the texture. Also, It might be harder to peel off if i change my mind. But, idk, it might be worth a try. maybe i'm wrong
Oh that is very true, Unless you use like 15 coats or sand it with fine sand paper haha just kidding, the glossifier does make it a bit harder but not as hard as using a regular rattle can as a clear coat such as rustoleum, and removing the dip is definitely easier than paint. But I understand what you mean, I may try it if I ever stop by home depot and post the results
__________________

1995 Lexus SC300
P.O.P Holdin' it dowwnnnnn
Slaker13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-14, 09:12 AM   #23
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
myLEXsc400's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: IL
Posts: 813
Default

Are there any products that help in the removal of plastidip, if it comes out bad? you really got me thinking about doing this because it will be so much easier then vinyl wrapping. And can i just spray regular clearcoat over the plastidip?
__________________
1996 SC400: BFI, straight dual exhaust with x-pipe to DynoMax mufflers. K&N filter. Supra TT KYB shocks and Tein springs. Hyper Silver XXR 521 18x8.5F and 18x10R. OEM lip. 97+ sides
1997 SC300: 1 of 120. BBS LM reps 19x8.5F 19x9.5R. LS400 BBK. Stance Coilovers. NA-T. SP63 turbo. TT ECU. Single 3-inch exhaust. A few other mods.
myLEXsc400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-14, 11:44 AM   #24
Slaker13
Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Slaker13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: California
Posts: 112
xXSlaker13Xx CallMeSlaker
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by myLEXsc400 View Post
Are there any products that help in the removal of plastidip, if it comes out bad? you really got me thinking about doing this because it will be so much easier then vinyl wrapping. And can i just spray regular clearcoat over the plastidip?
Yea there definitely is it will reliquify the dip for removal or adjustments, I can link you if you'd like?
If you do it, for sure post pics of it because I really want to see how it comes out!

Yes you can, I have done that for my climate control and volume/starter ***** and an old badge (didn't have glossifier), comes out looking like paint. Try it out on a piece of old metal or something to get a feel for it and see if you like it
Also I'm not sure if you know, but when doing lines peel the masking tape off while semi-wet so the tape doesn't try to peel the dip off and royally **** you off, happened to me lol
__________________

1995 Lexus SC300
P.O.P Holdin' it dowwnnnnn
Slaker13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-14, 01:11 PM   #25
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
myLEXsc400's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: IL
Posts: 813
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaker13 View Post
Yea there definitely is it will reliquify the dip for removal or adjustments, I can link you if you'd like?
If you do it, for sure post pics of it because I really want to see how it comes out!

Yes you can, I have done that for my climate control and volume/starter ***** and an old badge (didn't have glossifier), comes out looking like paint. Try it out on a piece of old metal or something to get a feel for it and see if you like it
Also I'm not sure if you know, but when doing lines peel the masking tape off while semi-wet so the tape doesn't try to peel the dip off and royally **** you off, happened to me lol
I appreciate all the pointers! Please do post the link when you have a chance. I will be doing this in the next couple weeks. Its still really cold and winter-y in Chicago, so as soon as the weather gets nice, I'm tackling this. I will keep you posted.
__________________
1996 SC400: BFI, straight dual exhaust with x-pipe to DynoMax mufflers. K&N filter. Supra TT KYB shocks and Tein springs. Hyper Silver XXR 521 18x8.5F and 18x10R. OEM lip. 97+ sides
1997 SC300: 1 of 120. BBS LM reps 19x8.5F 19x9.5R. LS400 BBK. Stance Coilovers. NA-T. SP63 turbo. TT ECU. Single 3-inch exhaust. A few other mods.
myLEXsc400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-14, 03:51 PM   #26
Slaker13
Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Slaker13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: California
Posts: 112
xXSlaker13Xx CallMeSlaker
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by myLEXsc400 View Post
I appreciate all the pointers! Please do post the link when you have a chance. I will be doing this in the next couple weeks. Its still really cold and winter-y in Chicago, so as soon as the weather gets nice, I'm tackling this. I will keep you posted.
No problem, why keep useful information to yourself right?
https://www.dipyourcar.com/Dip-Dissolver.html that's the link to the dissolver (Mods I'm not endorsing or sponsoring dipyourcar dot com in any way, just helping a fellow member)

Oh yea no problem waiting isn't an issue, if anything I should do a tune up in the mean time since the previous owner neglected any kind of maintenance
__________________

1995 Lexus SC300
P.O.P Holdin' it dowwnnnnn
Slaker13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-14, 07:18 PM   #27
oldManTan
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: illinois
Posts: 1,028
Default

plastidip is heaven. i have not had any bad experiences with it at all. the only thing i learned was, when you're masking something for like clean lines or whatever you wanna do to end the plastidip somewhere. make sure you peel it while it's wet still, the masking tape that is. if you wait for it to dry you'll have some nasty ripped lines. painting it is also way easier than actual spray paint or any other rattle can because you don't really lay down a coat and wait for it to dry, just keep spraying back and forth until everything is covered, it won't run unless you hold it in one spot, it won't bubble, you don't have to sand it, nothing. and if anyone is worried about it being hard to peel, don't worry, it's easier than peeling vinyl or even a sticker, it's seriously the easiest way to change the look of your car. once i take care of some rust on my car, im plastidipping the entire thing white with black roof until i have some cash for a legit paintjob. oh and it's also more durable than actual paint, won't peel off in car washes, and protects against pebbles like nothing else.

i sound like a salesman lol, i'll stop. I LOVE PLASTIDIP!!!! PLASTIDIP EVERYTHING!!!!
oldManTan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-14, 08:00 PM   #28
Slaker13
Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Slaker13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: California
Posts: 112
xXSlaker13Xx CallMeSlaker
Default

Found myself in a home depot today so I picked up a couple cans of dip, here's the results lol Clear coat is on, but was too dark to take a picture with my phone by then (bad lighting) probably will take a pic of it sometime tomorrow
If you are planning to do this I highly recommend buying 3) cans of dip 2) cans of gloss, I went with rustoleum 1) roll of painters tape and a spray can gun (holds the can, Not needed but makes easier to manage, your finger will thank you ) I say this because I ran out of plasti dip AND gloss
Attached Images
 
__________________

1995 Lexus SC300
P.O.P Holdin' it dowwnnnnn
Slaker13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-14, 09:16 PM   #29
Tabaka
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (8)
 
Tabaka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Dale City, VA
Posts: 3,625
shanetabaka shanetabaka shanetabaka shane_tabaka
Send a message via AIM to Tabaka Send a message via MSN to Tabaka
Default

My roof is wrapped with satin black

Click the image to open in full size.
__________________


1st Gen SC... it's like a hot girl with Herpes, Syphilis, and AIDS
Tabaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-14, 11:23 PM   #30
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
myLEXsc400's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: IL
Posts: 813
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaker13 View Post
Found myself in a home depot today so I picked up a couple cans of dip, here's the results lol Clear coat is on, but was too dark to take a picture with my phone by then (bad lighting) probably will take a pic of it sometime tomorrow
If you are planning to do this I highly recommend buying 3) cans of dip 2) cans of gloss, I went with rustoleum 1) roll of painters tape and a spray can gun (holds the can, Not needed but makes easier to manage, your finger will thank you ) I say this because I ran out of plasti dip AND gloss
not bad, dude, thats exactly what i wanted to see. If you are able to take some higher quality photos of the texture it would be greatly appreciated.
__________________
1996 SC400: BFI, straight dual exhaust with x-pipe to DynoMax mufflers. K&N filter. Supra TT KYB shocks and Tein springs. Hyper Silver XXR 521 18x8.5F and 18x10R. OEM lip. 97+ sides
1997 SC300: 1 of 120. BBS LM reps 19x8.5F 19x9.5R. LS400 BBK. Stance Coilovers. NA-T. SP63 turbo. TT ECU. Single 3-inch exhaust. A few other mods.
myLEXsc400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-14, 11:23 PM
 
 
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TN WTB Painted obsidian black trunk and roof spoiler PAINTED Downtuned General Classifieds 0 05-19-14 09:20 PM
CA FS SO CAL: 3pc wing and roof spoiler sc4jms 2Gen GS430 / 400/ 300 Classifieds (98-05) 4 10-04-13 02:41 PM
Should I Paint My Roof Black ? MIAMIGS3 GS - Third Generation 58 04-07-11 05:00 PM
FL SC300 ROOF SPOILER/LIP very nice!!!!!! americk22 SC400 / 300 Classifieds 9 10-29-10 07:39 PM
NY FS: Jun-TW Roof Spoiler Painted Black GordoNx3o9 2Gen IS250 / IS350 / IS-F Classifieds (06-13) 5 09-03-09 02:45 PM


Tags
06, black, coupe, forum, g35, hood, is350, lexus, painted, red, roof, sc, sc400, vinyl, wrap

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:03 PM.

Join ClubLexus
Advertising


Copyright © 2000-2008 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms of Use | JOBS


Get all contact info