SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

LED Spoiler Brake Light and Dash Bulb Out Warning Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-09, 01:53 PM
snook
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED Spoiler Brake Light and Dash Bulb Out Warning Issue

Okay so I've got 2 things going on and I am not sure if they are related.

My car is a 1996, when I got it, it had a spoiler on it which I think is stock with a led strip light in it. Does anyone know what year cars had that?
Now that isn't working, I checked the wiring and the source it's getting power from is good because when I touched those 2 wires together I blew out the brake light fuse.

So I suppose the LED light part is broken in the tail light?
Any ideas? I have to remove the spoiler from the trunk to look at this?

Next I've had the yellow light on the dash for a bulb out since I got the car. It shows a symbol for tail lights but could it be other bulbs being out? I have no fog lights and the connectors are just hanging, I also have a reflector bulb out. Im wondering if the spoiler led light and the light on the dash have anything to do with each other?

Thanks
Old 09-10-09, 03:02 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

the spoiler led's shouldn't trigger the light on the dash. Either mine are out or they are unplugged, but there isn't a light on the dash.
Old 09-10-09, 03:08 PM
snook
Racer

Okay so can that light be for any bulbs being out on the outside of the car or is it just tail lights?

Do you have to take off the spoiler to check the wiring for the spoiler?
Old 09-10-09, 07:18 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by snook
Okay so can that light be for any bulbs being out on the outside of the car or is it just tail lights?

Do you have to take off the spoiler to check the wiring for the spoiler?
I believe it's only for the taillights since you can tell when a headlight is out, but don't quote me on this.

As for the wiring, just take off the trunk lid liner on the inside, and the wiring should be going down the right side of the trunk lid.
Old 09-10-09, 08:46 PM
snook
Racer

I did find the wiring and it all looks good but I cant see directly behind the light.
Maybe something is going on there.

Is there a way to get that light out without pulling the spoiler off?

Also can anyone confirm about the yellow light in the dash meaning just tail light out or any light outside the car? In the manual it says bulb out and thats all

Thanks guys
Old 09-10-09, 10:07 PM
schwarz
Pole Position

The warning light on the dash is only for the tail lights. Get a friend to press on the brakes to see what bulb(s) are out and then replace them.

As for the spoiler LED strip, they are starting to go bad on many SC's as they age. Best to get a second spoiler and replace yours. Unfortunately, not many people are willing to seperate the LED's from the spoiler as people want them as a package. Also, Lexus sells them seperate with a list price of $440 for the LED light.
Old 09-10-09, 10:19 PM
snook
Racer

Originally Posted by schwarz
The warning light on the dash is only for the tail lights. Get a friend to press on the brakes to see what bulb(s) are out and then replace them.

As for the spoiler LED strip, they are starting to go bad on many SC's as they age. Best to get a second spoiler and replace yours. Unfortunately, not many people are willing to seperate the LED's from the spoiler as people want them as a package. Also, Lexus sells them seperate with a list price of $440 for the LED light.
I did put a block on the brake today and there are no bulbs out in the rear everywhere Im positive.
I heard there was a box or module in the trunk that ight be causing my yellow light any ideas?

Also about the led light being out in the trunk. I thought that LEDs last forever? I wonder whats going out on it? I bet I could have it repaired if that's the problem.

Thanks
Old 09-12-09, 12:01 AM
snook
Racer

ttt can someone answer my last post?

Also are we positive that the yellow light in the dash means just tail light out because in the owners manual it says bulb out, although the image is of tail lights it looks like.
Old 09-12-09, 11:51 PM
2700$oarer
Rookie

hmmmmmmm you also know that the brake light can be triggered from and engine code??? its all their in the maintenance section.... as for the paper waster a couple of post up saying to spend $400 dollars for whaaaaaa??? no no no.... so you want to get to the tailight in the wing?? first pop the trunk and carefully remove all the black push pins that hold the cloth material up, well not all you can leave a few just enough to where it start to open up easy. inside you will see a white plug clip that goses to a grommet towards your rightish area of your trunk top. that will be the brakelight wire. unclip it. then start looking up for a bunch of about 8 or 6 i think, of 10mm bolts you will need a extension on your ratchet. i actually only have four holding mines on now... CAREFULLY take these off or they will find new homes in the tiny spots of your trunk and never want to come out. after you have all the bolts out the wing will still be secured so dont worry about it falling, but its okay to lower the trunk and support it with something. there will be two pins that lock themselves on the far sides of the wing. they self lock and unlock you cant break them but it will feel like you are going to hurt you car. pop one side out then the other, now the wing can and will fall to wherever gravity wants it to. ALSO!!! if your not careful of the studs on the wings which will try to scratch your paint for taking it off you will regret it... now you will have the wing upside down on your trunk. pull the grommet of the white pin wire through and walla your wing is off and self explanatory now. as for the led replacement, you can actually use a led 3rd brakelight from a older tahoe. of course it isnt as long by a few, but it centers itself nicely inside the the out half of the brakelight shell if you decide to replace it like i have, and the reason for going with those is because they a much more better sealed than the factory sc tailight and alot cheaper, $10.
Old 09-13-09, 07:39 AM
snook
Racer

thanks for your info, you are saying that the yellow light on the dash for a bulb being out can also be for an engine code?
Old 09-13-09, 07:15 PM
snook
Racer

thanks for your info, you are saying that the yellow light on the dash for a bulb being out can also be for an engine code?
Old 09-13-09, 08:56 PM
2700$oarer
Rookie

actually i was tired when i wrote that thing for engine code... check your bulbs you might have a 1157 in place of a 1156 or vice versa and here is what the wing brake light looks like with the tahoe 3rd brake mounted inside....

Last edited by 2700$oarer; 09-13-09 at 09:01 PM. Reason: another pic added....
Old 09-13-09, 11:14 PM
schwarz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 2700$oarer
actually i was tired when i wrote that thing for engine code... check your bulbs you might have a 1157 in place of a 1156 or vice versa and ...
there is no way you can interchangeably use 1156 and 1157 bulbs...they have pins on the sides that make it impossible (unless you force them into the socket)
Old 09-14-09, 08:35 PM
2700$oarer
Rookie

hey dread head.... you just contradicted your own statement....you just said it couldnt but could=/