SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Supra Dash Cluster Swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-09, 07:04 AM
turbohye
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supra Dash Cluster Swap

Ok, Well -- i was working on the car this past weekend trying to diagnose the dashboard lights and well, i got them working with the help of this site and the members. (1 bulb was bad behind the tach). Everything was done with minimal effort and well, i started putting everything back together and realized...."wow -- the SC dashboard is so......blah" Those that agree, well you know what i mean. It was intended to be a luxury sport coupe but the dashboard doesnt talk "speed" to me. I remember my 90 AWD talon years ago that i tracked had a wonderful gauge look compared to this. Dont get me wrong, i have had my SC for years now and love it and granted its not a speed machine, i still would like to investigate options for the dashboard.

Now-- assuming (not the best thing) that the Supra NA dashboard can be had for literally 100 bucks + - on ebay. My buddy does have an NA supra so i have already discussed this with him. (I have a 93 SC and he has a 95 supra) I have swapped ecu's with him before and everything ran fine trying to daignose my ignition problem. Now, my dashboard worked fine so doesnt that mean that some work can be performed to make an NA supra dashboard work in the SC?

Thoughts please?
thanks in advance
Old 08-25-09, 07:27 AM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

Supra Dash

How are you planning to fit it into the pod?
Old 08-25-09, 07:43 AM
turbohye
Driver

Never planned on using the integrated fuel and temp gauge. A buddy of mine manages a local "pick and pull" and i will have my hands on a free sc cluster in about a week. I think i may just invest on an ebay supra cluster unless he can find me one too. It will be a hack job but the purpose would be to cut out and unwire the stock SC tach and Speedo and replace them with the Supra Tach and speedo. Before i do ANY of this, i will splice wires and test continuity and voltage before i even perform this. IMO the race inspired gauges from the Supra will look more native in the SC as a factory option. I have experience doing this in other vehicles (trust me i know horrible classic GM wiring). I will document the whole thing. As long as the servo motors work the same way, then that is more than half the battle. If speedo calibration was necessary, then i can have that done as well. Would other people be interested in seeing this too?
Old 08-25-09, 07:47 AM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

You should do 94 RX7 Gauges instead.
Old 08-25-09, 07:50 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

oh, so you want to transplant the supra gauges into the sc cluster. may not be a straightforward fit.
that would get rid of the fitting problem with just sticking the whole supra cluster into that space and having to fab a custom plate for it.
Old 08-25-09, 07:50 AM
1siksc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmmm... I liked my idea. Try getting the TTC Rings and making those work with the dash.
Old 08-25-09, 08:03 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by neurocity

You should do 94 RX7 Gauges instead.
Damn right son.

I understand sticking supra parts on for performance, but going "everything supra" down to the nuts is more annoying than anything. Buy a supra. The bland *** toyota gauges V/S a fully integrated LED setup in an SC? pffffffttt. SC>Supra.

Old 08-25-09, 08:31 AM
turbohye
Driver

I would hardly say i am going "supra down." The supra cluster and sensors are native to the SC (this is what i am trying to confirm by performing this) and if so, yea so what --now i have a better looking cluster which is good enough for me. I like my SC and would not like to own a supra because my SC is paid off and a supra would just be another pointless payment. The RX guages are really beautiful and they have always been admired by me. These days, almost any and ALL average car tachometers can be made to work with time and money, but the problem lies in the speedometer. Lots of cars nowadays rely on so much different technologies that it prevents this. This honestly is just a cheap alternative to much more expensive dashboards with lets say the nice autometer setups.
Old 08-25-09, 09:11 AM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sounds like a nice plan please post pics also the trd tach is so badass
Old 08-25-09, 07:08 PM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would like to see how this turns out.
Old 08-25-09, 07:17 PM
Mr.NA_T
Lexus Test Driver

SC > Supra
...IMO
Old 08-25-09, 07:31 PM
msc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i definitely think sc cluster looks better than supra still would be interesting to see
Old 08-25-09, 09:25 PM
DONT SLEEP
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SC cluster looks better than a lot of cars' clusters.
Old 08-25-09, 09:48 PM
SCORTIZ
Driver

What would you use for the odometer? or are u just gonna say screw it.
Old 08-26-09, 05:27 AM
turbohye
Driver

Originally Posted by SCORTIZ
What would you use for the odometer? or are u just gonna say screw it.

Good Point. I actually had run accross this last night in my head. What i will do is use a spare scratched up SC dash from my buddies junk-yard and tinker with that instead. That way if i ever do sell the SC, the stock odo can go back in...I would be realistic though and tell the buyer the truth, unless they want the supra dash or sell it to a fellow SC guy who likes the transitioned gauges. Should be interesting though

Quick Reply: Supra Dash Cluster Swap