SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Has anyone ever mounted 10-spoke IS wheels on an SC?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-09, 06:24 AM
TURBO819
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryeno
btw the people who prefer the "clean look of OEM wheels" are also the ones who cant afford aftermarket rims. Funny isnt it?
That's That's Crazy Talk. What make you feel you can say something like that??? In the past I spent Good money on a set of after market Rims. The end result it's not suited for the pot holes of NEW YORK. With OEM rims you can drive hard and if you hit a pot hole no Biggie. With after market you have to drive on your Tippitoes. NO after market for me I learned the hard way. Not with my hard earned Cash. So don't make a broad statement like that. It's your car your money and you can put 15" OEM if you want because you can.

Last edited by TURBO819; 08-14-09 at 06:50 AM.
Old 08-14-09, 06:30 AM
TURBO819
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1UZ-SC
yeah I know what's also funny is, if you can't afford a working fresh airbag, don't cheap out and sew it up yourself!
+1 I read that POST too
Old 08-14-09, 06:55 AM
djb5118
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol i love how he assumes about people's individual financial situations
Old 08-14-09, 07:20 AM
theory5150
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1UZ-SC
I'm still trying to figure out what's wrong with you and OEM rims...

Not everyone can afford aftermarket rims, and some prefer the clean look of OEM wheels...
Thank You! Im seventeen and im bought my car and everything on it. I cant afford Volk, Work, or whatever so i had to settle with the isx50 wheel. It looks clean and its still an 18". Game over lol
Old 08-14-09, 11:15 AM
lexdud
Pole Position

To all who responded to my post ... I thank you.

A local is selling a set of these wheels with new tires for $400 and I thought that I would consider them. I was in SoCal when I first noticed them for sale and I thought that they looked good but before I made the decision I would vet it through the community. I did not expect the total amount of feedback received ... and I thank you again, especially The Mole (always helpful) and yes, Ryeno. He spent enough time out of his busy day to actually post in here.

Ryeno, you do not have to reply to this but I really must ask ... how old are you? I ask because you ask interesting questions and make statements like "... the people who prefer the "clean look of OEM wheels" are also the ones who cant afford aftermarket rims. Funny isnt it?" This is an assumption on your part. Let me explain why you are wrong ...

I am 48 years old. I (by fate) was blessed with the best parents in the world. They were children of the great depression and had no money. They and their parents lived (in one week) what you would spend on one purchase. Fast forward to today ... my parents are now gone but they will never be forgotten. I watched them (and my grandparents) very closely as a child and learned to only spend what I could afford and to save the rest. Frankly, now I can afford just about any car made but that would not be me. I like (not love) my SC400. It is a machine. She may be 16 but she is as a beautiful woman. There is nothing like a beautiful, mature woman (I am married to one ... 5" 7" and still 120 lbs), a good tequila ... and an SC 3/4. She is like a fine older woman. In my book you appreciate her the way God made her ... you don't mod her.

In my book the SC's were way ahead of their time. They are still relevant today and do not require mod-after-mod to keep them so. I learned a long time ago that when you meet beauty you do not try to change her ... you sit back and enjoy her while you can. I enjoy the beauty that was the Lexus SC ... as stock as possible, the way the designer meant her to be.

Ryeno, I still really appreciated your advice. Keep it coming but remember that you are growing older by the second ...

Last edited by lexdud; 08-14-09 at 11:32 AM.
Old 08-14-09, 11:29 AM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^ Nicely said Lexdud......
Old 08-14-09, 11:52 AM
TURBO819
Lexus Test Driver

We can all learn a little something for Post # 24 (Lexdud)
Old 08-14-09, 12:08 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TURBO819
We can all learn a little something for Post # 24 (Lexdud)
Yea its a good post.
I especially like the last sentence and agree with it.
Old 08-14-09, 12:09 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lexdud
To all who responded to my post ... I thank you.

A local is selling a set of these wheels with new tires for $400 and I thought that I would consider them. I was in SoCal when I first noticed them for sale and I thought that they looked good but before I made the decision I would vet it through the community. I did not expect the total amount of feedback received ... and I thank you again, especially The Mole (always helpful) and yes, Ryeno. He spent enough time out of his busy day to actually post in here.

Ryeno, you do not have to reply to this but I really must ask ... how old are you? I ask because you ask interesting questions and make statements like "... the people who prefer the "clean look of OEM wheels" are also the ones who cant afford aftermarket rims. Funny isnt it?" This is an assumption on your part. Let me explain why you are wrong ...

I am 48 years old. I (by fate) was blessed with the best parents in the world. They were children of the great depression and had no money. They and their parents lived (in one week) what you would spend on one purchase. Fast forward to today ... my parents are now gone but they will never be forgotten. I watched them (and my grandparents) very closely as a child and learned to only spend what I could afford and to save the rest. Frankly, now I can afford just about any car made but that would not be me. I like (not love) my SC400. It is a machine. She may be 16 but she is as a beautiful woman. There is nothing like a beautiful, mature woman (I am married to one ... 5" 7" and still 120 lbs), a good tequila ... and an SC 3/4. She is like a fine older woman. In my book you appreciate her the way God made her ... you don't mod her.

In my book the SC's were way ahead of their time. They are still relevant today and do not require mod-after-mod to keep them so. I learned a long time ago that when you meet beauty you do not try to change her ... you sit back and enjoy her while you can. I enjoy the beauty that was the Lexus SC ... as stock as possible, the way the designer meant her to be.

Ryeno, I still really appreciated your advice. Keep it coming but remember that you are growing older by the second ...
Words of wisdom right there!
Old 08-14-09, 01:07 PM
okbobbo
Pole Position

Default Love a classic car

Lexdud - stand buy your guns. These may be one of the classiest cars of all time and we're fortunate to be able to enjoy them. I plan on driving mine for many years and don't want to mess with a good thing. This week, thanks to a members lead, I was able to buy two oem 10 spoke chrome wheels to replace some worn out ones. When people see your clean car, they can't believe its age and you'll get nothing but compliments.
Old 09-23-09, 03:20 PM
b1ackhawk
Intermediate

At least with OEM wheels you know you are getting good quality. Not to say all aftermarkets are junk, but for typical driving oem will usually be better. I just put 17" GS400 wheels on my SC4 and I and everyone I know thinks they look really good, coupled with a slight drop from a slightly lowered supra suspension.
IMO most aftermarket wheels look like they dont belong on the car, their are a handful that look great (Moda R6 on an SC, my fav). Most oem's will suit the car and cost vs quality & fit cannot be beat for the money.

heres the link to my updated suspension wheel thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ml#post4869848

Last edited by b1ackhawk; 09-23-09 at 04:04 PM.
Old 09-23-09, 04:31 PM
markesc
Lead Lap

Don't forget the 06 GS430 wheels also fit the lines of the car without screaming aftermarket/look at me.... that's what I went for... in case those fall through you may want to keep 'em on the radar.

Like you, I respect the fact that you want some wheels that go with the car and can take some abuse without saying "steal me..." I've hit potholes going 60mph with zero issues with these OEM 18's.

Old 09-23-09, 07:16 PM
Halient
Driver

how wide are the GS430 rims? I like the look and would like to keep my car looking as stock as possible to keep it a sleeper for when my T61 and 2jzgte arrives
Old 09-23-09, 07:22 PM
markesc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Halient
how wide are the GS430 rims? I like the look and would like to keep my car looking as stock as possible to keep it a sleeper for when my T61 and 2jzgte arrives
I have no idea... here is more of a straight on photo... should help... they are sleeper+functional and they do clear TT Brakes and I was able to get 275's on the back... 245's on the front...

Old 09-23-09, 07:49 PM
Halient
Driver

275 on the rear thats all i needed to hear

Quick Reply: Has anyone ever mounted 10-spoke IS wheels on an SC?