SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

NO MORE VACUUM!!! (another NA-T thread)

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-09, 07:38 PM
IOWNALEXUS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NO MORE VACUUM!!! (another NA-T thread)

So its taken me a while to gather all the parts i wanted and this past week they all came together and now i finally have boost again!!! Im running a Dave H Boostwerx kit (AWESOME) with a precision T-61 (polished by me),tial 38mm waste gate,custom oil lines,universal fmic/ic piping,blow thru MAF setup,AEM F/ic to control fuel,TT supra pump,Token solutions o2 sim, HKS ssqv,custom 3" exhaust with an APEXi N1. All the work was done by me and my friend dave at his shop: stouffers performance in hagerstown MD. Im only running 4psi right now until i get it tuned and then im gonna crank it up to about 8psi or untill i run out of fuel on the stock injectors. But so far i have over 500mi on it and no check engine light and it drives like stock when not under boost Here is a few pics i took......

Getting things mocked up to check for clearance issues.....

Front mount all mounted up....

Almost done...

Finished product..... (still need a couple of clamps and a new filter that matches)

Last edited by IOWNALEXUS; 08-30-09 at 01:32 PM.
Old 08-08-09, 08:08 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

that looks great!
Old 08-08-09, 08:32 PM
1siksc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

... so jealous of your car, 97 rsp stock is sex.
Old 08-08-09, 09:49 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

real clean instal A+
Old 08-08-09, 11:35 PM
TroySC300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's great to see a lot of NA-T builds popping up! Mine is getting closer and closer by the day!!!
Old 08-09-09, 12:39 AM
GKourp
Rookie

Damn man congrats. I'm still waiting to see a 97 5spd for sale in my price range for the money!
Old 08-09-09, 04:14 AM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryeno
what exactly are the advantages of this kit over others? Is it just cheaper?
just a good quality kit, not really cheaper, I'm sure the XS power kit is cheaper then the DaveH..

I think the DaveH kit is better though, just has a uglier manifold..

Install looks good man, can't wait to go for a ride. Hopefully it doesn't give me the boost bug again lol..
Old 08-09-09, 04:58 AM
Mortal300
Pole Position

So you set up the MAF on the IC piping and going to leave the turbo just hooked up a air filter correct?

A similar setup to a another member here who did that as a result of the car die dying from the MAF not compensating and car dying as it came to a stop as the RPMS dropped.

Careful with that setup...the turbulence could cause some harm to the MAF. You shoudl enjoy 7-8psi and just not get into MAF problems.

Your OBDII so a simple MAP ECU and a good tune will get you better results and a much more reliable car!

Wish i had OBDII! SAFC isn't my favorite approach but is what im left with at the moment for the obdI

Oh yeah and my car does not die even when the MAF is hooked before the turbo. YOu just gotta drive correctly. Dont punch it in first/second gear then throw in the clutch and let it roll in neutral....obviously its gunna drop RPM and most likely die.

oh and the Dec Air option on the SAFC II can have issues as some other members explain due to the intense air turbulace in the IC piping when boost is built.

Read Here:

http://supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=253274&highlight=solution

http://forum.clubna-t.com/showthread...t=compensation

said clearly by btm7687 post #16! :P
Old 08-09-09, 09:11 AM
IOWNALEXUS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Mortal300
So you set up the MAF on the IC piping and going to leave the turbo just hooked up a air filter correct?

A similar setup to a another member here who did that as a result of the car die dying from the MAF not compensating and car dying as it came to a stop as the RPMS dropped.

Careful with that setup...the turbulence could cause some harm to the MAF. You shoudl enjoy 7-8psi and just not get into MAF problems.

Your OBDII so a simple MAP ECU and a good tune will get you better results and a much more reliable car!

Wish i had OBDII! SAFC isn't my favorite approach but is what im left with at the moment for the obdI

Oh yeah and my car does not die even when the MAF is hooked before the turbo. YOu just gotta drive correctly. Dont punch it in first/second gear then throw in the clutch and let it roll in neutral....obviously its gunna drop RPM and most likely die.

oh and the Dec Air option on the SAFC II can have issues as some other members explain due to the intense air turbulace in the IC piping when boost is built.
Ok man i will try to answer your questions as best i can, first of all yes i am running BLOW THRU MAF setup, this is because my car is OBD2 and after researching it is the best option for me its basicly the same as every NA-T is300. the car will not stall or die because the BOV is BEFORE the MAF and therefore the MAF is reading all the air going into the engine vs. a pull thru that has to be recirculated back AFTER the MAF, i can blow an I/C hose and drive home N/A just like stock. you have OBD1 so you have TOTALLY different setup and maf sensor, it looks different and it IS different, i would advise against blowthru on an OBD1 car as the maf sensor isnt designed to handle it. I am not using a SAFC because it doesnt do what i need it to, a MAPECU doesnt have the features i need either, YOU need a MAPECU on OBD1 as its basicly a SAFC and VPC made into 1, However because i have OBD2 i have to run an AEM F/IC because it has the ability of skew o2 sensors and calibrate the MAF,control injector pulse etc.... which mapecu cannot do. (check it out on AEM's website) In fact i called mapecu before i made my decision and they told me to run the AEM LOL!!
I did a LOT of research before i decided on my setup and electronics and it shows as my car drives 100% like stock without a check engine light, this isn't my first turbo car and there is a HUGE difference between your OBD1 car and my OBD2 car. I wish my car was OBD1 because it would have been a lot easier and cheaper..........
If you want to do some research on OBD2 boosting my.is is a good place with a lot of knowledgeable people.

PS. My car is an automatic which is why i will be limiting boost to 7-8psi for now....

Last edited by IOWNALEXUS; 08-09-09 at 04:50 PM.
Old 08-09-09, 01:42 PM
IonFeright
Lead Lap

Looks good man! Im running the same blow thu setup on my obd-II. In the beggining I had to reset the ecu from time to time but I agree this is the way to go with obd-II.

Old 08-09-09, 02:29 PM
t70 supra
Lexus Champion

i need to stop playing and finish off my 1.5jz swap
Old 08-09-09, 02:51 PM
ecstaticSC
Racer

Great info ineedansc3,

I was hesitant to turbo my 97 SC3 because of OBD2 and emissions(CEL), but i'm going through with it now.

Are you going to add a transmission cooler?

Last edited by ecstaticSC; 08-09-09 at 02:58 PM.
Old 08-09-09, 02:57 PM
Mr.NA_T
Lexus Test Driver

Nice setup man....

I love NA-T...
Old 08-09-09, 04:12 PM
IOWNALEXUS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ryeno
what exactly are the advantages of this kit over others? Is it just cheaper?
Research Dave H, he has the fastest NA-T supra and is THE man for NA-T ... The kit is AWESOME quality and was designed specifically for the N/A 2JZ and doesn't have clearance issues with the distributor like other kits do..... It also comes with a good name brand parts/turbo (tial/precision) not some china knock offs, although the only downfall if you could call it that is it does use a unique flange thats not as common as the others and the manifold is a log style instead of tubular which didnt bother me cause no one will notice since its wrapped and has a shiny snail on top

Originally Posted by Mortal300

Ok man i will try to answer your questions as best i can, first of all yes i am running BLOW THRU MAF setup, this is because my car is OBD2 and after researching it is the best option for me its basicly the same as every NA-T is300. the car will not stall or die because the BOV is BEFORE the MAF and therefore the MAF is reading all the air going into the engine vs. a pull thru that has to be recirculated back AFTER the MAF, i can blow an I/C hose and drive home N/A just like stock. you have OBD1 so you have TOTALLY different setup and maf sensor, it looks different and it IS different, i would advise against blowthru on an OBD1 car as the maf sensor isnt designed to handle it. I am not using a SAFC because it doesnt do what i need it to, a MAPECU doesnt have the features i need either, YOU need a MAPECU on OBD1 as its basicly a SAFC and VPC made into 1, However because i have OBD2 i have to run an AEM F/IC because it has the ability of skew o2 sensors and calibrate the MAF,control injector pulse etc.... which mapecu cannot do. (check it out on AEM's website) In fact i called mapecu before i made my decision and they told me to run the AEM LOL!!
I did a LOT of research before i decided on my setup and electronics and it shows as my car drives 100% like stock without a check engine light, this isn't my first turbo car and there is a HUGE difference between your OBD1 car and my OBD2 car. I wish my car was OBD1 because it would have been a lot easier and cheaper..........
If you want to do some research on OBD2 boosting my.is is a good place with a lot of knowledgeable people.

PS. My car is an automatic which is why i will be limiting boost to 7-8psi for now....

Last edited by IOWNALEXUS; 08-09-09 at 05:06 PM.
Old 08-09-09, 07:52 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by INEEDANSC3

My ugly mug... a little nervous to pull apart a perfectly good running car.

Hahaha everything looks good, Rob!

Quick Reply: NO MORE VACUUM!!! (another NA-T thread)