SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Catalytic Confusion ('97 SC300)

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-09, 02:53 PM
yarnboy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Catalytic Confusion ('97 SC300)

I have a '97 SC300 that was originally purchased in VA that has not and will not ever be, as far as I can possibly tell, a CA emissions car. I needed a new cat and midpipe for my car so I bought this.

CATCO Part# cat4337

It clearly states that it fits a base model '97 SC300 and doesn't fit a CA model car.

However, this cat does not fit my car and I'm in customer service hell trying to get them to pay to ship it back. The cat is 38".

They have ANOTHER cat that says it fits my exact car that is 41" long.

This one.

BOSAL Part# BO099132

How can there be two cats for one car if neither is a CA emissions cat? Am I insane for trying to tell them that one of these models is misbranded in terms of fitting a 1997 SC300?

Are there any '97's that use a 38" cat and pipe? I know earlier years do because I've been trying to buy a used one. My factory O2 doesn't thread in, it instead uses a flange and two bolts but I believe the factory 38" inch cats do not, where as the OE 41" does. Either way, both of these OE replacements use the "screw in" type of O2.

Confused yet?

Basically I want to know that I'm right and that they should not be selling the 38" cat as a cat that fits a '97 SC300 because it does not. And also that the second cat listed, the 41" one made by Bosal, will infact fit my car even though the O2 housing is different. I'm pretty much having the exact same problem as this guy in another thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...converter.html

I don't expect many replies..

Last edited by yarnboy; 07-14-09 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Fixed Links and pictures
Old 07-14-09, 03:02 PM
yarnboy
Driver School Candidate

Ah this should probably go in the other forum
Old 07-14-09, 03:25 PM
kanderson
Driver

96 and 97 have there own pipe 92-95 have a different catalytic converter. The problem is with the aftermarket catalouge. They are not applying the right pipe's for the right years. As far as the length of the pipe I can't tell. So not sure this helps. I think that your aftermarket company is not accounting for the parts split, I'm also showing that the 92- 95 o/2 sensor is the bolt in type. Your should be the screw in type by the parts manual.
Old 07-14-09, 04:57 PM
yarnboy
Driver School Candidate

Can I reference where you're getting this info? I have the "bolts type" O2 on the car now, but I don't know if that's factory because I bought the car two years ago. The only two companies I've been able to find that make anything close to the right part is CATCO, who makes the part that I know fits 92-95 and BOSAL who I'm HOPING makes the part that fits my car. Very confusing and infuriating at the same time. If anyone has this part please let me know!
Old 07-14-09, 05:19 PM
yarnboy
Driver School Candidate

Here are the cats listed for a 97 sc300. Obviously they can't all fit. And at the bottom it thinks that '97 is a "bolts type" O2 which it is on my car, but I don't know if the site really knows what it's talking about.

http://tinyurl.com/sc300cat
Old 07-15-09, 08:41 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

did you ever think about getting a magnaflow cat and having an exhaust shop weld it on?
thats what I did once, cat costed 80 bucks shipped and another 40 for welding it on.
200+ bucks for a catylitic converter with the whole pipe and its not even mandrel bent...
pretty weak sauce if you ask me.

It is pretty typical for aftermarket replacement parts to switch to the screw type o2 sensor, even when the original was bolt type. It is much easier to produce it this way.
Old 07-15-09, 09:30 AM
yarnboy
Driver School Candidate

Yea the o2 thing doesn't bother me at all.. I just didn't know if it was a way to tell the years apart on the OEM stuff.

The reason I was trying to get the whole piece is because the midpipe section is cracked to hell. I'm just going to try and get someone to patch the massive holes because finding this part, even used, has been a nightmare. The good news is auto parts warehouse is paying to have it shipped back which I am relieved about.
Old 07-15-09, 09:30 AM
kanderson
Driver

Sorry took me awhile to get back to you. I was looking at the Lexus electronic parts catalogue. 92-95 SC300 shows to have to bolt on catalytic converter. 96 and up show a screw in type rear o/2 sensor.
Old 07-15-09, 09:33 AM
yarnboy
Driver School Candidate

That's weird because my factory piece is bolt on.. At least I'm assuming it's factory because I don't think the aftermarket stuff has heat shielding/insulation.. Right?
Old 07-15-09, 09:46 AM
kanderson
Driver

It is weird. What is the production date on you SC? I did double check with Toyota for you and Denso. 92-95 have the bolt on oxygen sensor the rest have the screw in type. I wish I could get some measurments for you on the pipes. but I don't have that ability sorry. Was trying to help as much as possible. But I guess it's not helping.....Also for 96-00 All cars are 50 state complient. There is no difference between Cali and the other 49 states.
Old 07-15-09, 09:50 AM
kanderson
Driver

Sorry just a thought......but Aliga has used parts for sale on the forum. You could search for him and PM him and see if he has one for your year model. Maybe if possible he could put his hands on it and measure it for you.
Old 07-15-09, 09:50 AM
yarnboy
Driver School Candidate

Weird. The production date is 11/06 I believe.

Anyone ever use this white exhaust crack filler crap? I have a tube of it lying around and I wonder if it actually works at all. I'm about to give up on finding the right part
Old 07-15-09, 02:58 PM
yarnboy
Driver School Candidate

I already contacted him and wouldn't you know it, he has a good wrong one and a bad right now.

I'm solved my problem though.. Through the lost art of the shade tree garage shop. I'm telling you, they're a dying breed. Instead of bloated $90 labor rates to even touch your car, the guy welded a formed patch to the pipe and put beads on all the little hairlines and even put it on for me while the car was on the lift. 30 bucks. Completely awesome shop.