SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

removing car phone

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-13, 12:23 PM
Deeztha1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
To effectively disable the phone system, go into the trunk. On the left side in the same area as the power antenna you will find a big transceiver box with Motorola S/N's. Unbolt that, disconnect it and toss it at your nearest electronics recycler. There is a small box bolted onto the main transceiver if I recall. That can go too. They should be clearly labeled as to what their functions are.

You will find two harness connectors that you disconnected from the transceiver(s) that look extremely easy to plug into each other. Do exactly that. Now you've disabled the Lexus Phone brain and eliminated the beep.

As for the steering wheel controls, as soon as you swap in a three spoke steering wheel you'll eliminate those anyway.

The mic, speaker, antenna wiring and a couple of spare pre-wired connectors in the console will still be there but they aren't worth going to the trouble of removing.
perfect instructions.... are theses car phone devices valuable?
Old 07-29-13, 04:51 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by CatManD3W
Thanks Kahn...that is what I was looking for
Sure thing!

Originally Posted by Deeztha1
perfect instructions.... are theses car phone devices valuable?
The short answer is no.

My longer thought on it...

Unless you think that original and largely non-useable factory options to a classic car will be valuable later on, no I don't think so. I tried to sell my hardware and no one wanted it. I visit a local electronics recycler's warehouse every now and then to look for odd vintage video, projector and computer gear and it's LOADED with old analogue cellular equipment that is basically scrap now.

It's entirely possible that a 100% original car cellphone option that still beeps and functions but is otherwise 100% unusable with a cellular carrier would add value to a vintage SC in the future but... I don't really think so. It's not exactly the same thing as buying, say, a 1967 Mustang with the original AM/FM (or just AM in some cases) radio-- you can still tune in to AM/FM radio signals.

I'd get rid of it and I wouldn't bother digging out the mic, speaker and antenna wire that goes under the carpeting, rear seats and headliner. That one component would probably work with any standard antenna though (the antenna wire to the suction cup on your rear window).

There was a poster recently who wanted to get his original phone hardware to work with a modern cellphone. Kudos to his efforts if he can but the way all the technology has gone you'd need to gut it down to the steering wheel controls and wire those, the dash mic and speaker into a modern Bluetooth brain like a Parrot Handsfree kit. That would be a lot of trouble.