SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

What tire brand should i get??

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-09, 09:27 PM
yong32986
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What tire brand should i get??

i just got my 97 sc400 today, definately change the rims and tires first, but dont know wat tire i should get, i like michelins but its noisy n expensive, wat other brand is as close quality but quieter and less expensive than michelin? thanks for help
Old 04-09-09, 09:34 PM
fast1IS-SC
Driver School Candidate

Default Toyo for surreeeee

Id get a set of Toyo Proxies. you can never go wrong with those!
Old 04-09-09, 09:58 PM
Ryeno
Banned

Go with a good brand of tires. I have some yokohama ones and i cant handle in light rain. Not to mention i have heard bad things about kumho.

Stick to the good brands like BFgoodrich, michelin, etc. They are worth the extra money imo.
Old 04-10-09, 12:47 AM
SC_coupe
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

I think you will get better responses posting in the wheel and tire forum rather than the SC section.

Currently, I'm pretty happy with a set of Dunlop SP Sport Maxx. Not the stiffest sidewall, but compliant over rough pavement, and good overall grip. Good in the rain and predictable at the limit in the dry. I prefer them to the Potenza RE040 Runflats I had previously.
Old 04-10-09, 01:21 AM
bangdangvn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tend to buy all season tires since I live in colorado, but i think goodyear eagles or coopers are pretty nice. Of course blizzaks are nice too.
Old 04-10-09, 01:45 AM
CrazySC300
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nexen tires FTW!
Old 04-10-09, 03:31 AM
soaringsc3
Pole Position

I like the Bridgestone Potenza RE050's good tires...
Old 04-10-09, 06:30 AM
SC300_704
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

cheap Nexen tires on ebay FTW!
Old 04-10-09, 06:55 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by yong32986
i just got my 97 sc400 today, definately change the rims and tires first, but dont know wat tire i should get, i like michelins but its noisy n expensive, wat other brand is as close quality but quieter and less expensive than michelin? thanks for help
Gonna kinda depend on what you are looking for? Summer performance, all season, etc, size???

Michelin builds some of the quietest tires on the road. Michelin / BFGoodrich and Bridgestone / Firestone are the highest quality tires you are going to find... there are plenty others out there, but stay away from brands like Nexen and such that are much smaller companies. That being said, there are many different manufacturers that will work just fine for you, but without knowing what you are looking for, it's kinda hard to tell, so, all you've gotten so far is to find out what others have on their vehicles...
Old 04-10-09, 08:15 AM
PecosBill
Lexus Test Driver

I had BFGoodrich G-Sport Force and Michelin Pilot Exalto AS on my SC. The BFGs had great grip but got louder as they wore out and didnt last too long as they were more summer performance tires. The Pilots are very quiet, great grip for all season tires, and have a 60k mi warranty from discount tire.
Old 04-10-09, 10:29 AM
sj408
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For my stock 16's i swore by michelin primacy, i do quite a bit of spirited driving and they never ever did my wrong.

on the other hand for my 19s i use lexani tires (rebadged nexen n3000) havent had any problem losing traction hitting a 90 degree turn at 30+
Old 04-10-09, 11:47 AM
Sciethen
Rookie

I did extensive research on tire wear, noise, comfort, and grip. My research included utilizing Consumer Reports .org, Tirerack.com (for pricing), as well as tire-searching throughout the net. After about a month of looking I decided on Yokohama Avid 4ws.

I have had these for about a year now, and they still have a great amount of tire tread left (just went outside and double checked). They grip VERY GOOD in rain, and extremely good on dry surfaces. So good, in fact, that I do not experience a lot of what people complain about here (i.e. "in the rain, I am always spinning my tires and sliding about. This car's so heavy..." yada yada.)

I drive simi-aggressively, but I don't do burnouts, doughnuts, or any racing. But I can't stress how much I appreciate these tires.

The best part, however, is the price. I chose these because at the time everyone was selling them at approximately $160-175/tire, then I found them at Tirerack.com for about $115. Thought it was a bit shady, but asked around and others said that Tirerack really does well, so bought 'em. Now, according to the link I provided, they're selling for $108.

My car is stock (minor non-performance and NO suspension changes), I live in Georgia (frequent rain throughout the year), and have 17" rims. The tires I have are the ones in the link, at 255/17/45.

Need any other info, I'll gladly offer it, but suffice to say I'm going right back and buying these again in a few months.

Good luck!
Old 04-10-09, 03:55 PM
Ryeno
Banned

Originally Posted by Sciethen
I did extensive research on tire wear, noise, comfort, and grip. My research included utilizing Consumer Reports .org, Tirerack.com (for pricing), as well as tire-searching throughout the net. After about a month of looking I decided on Yokohama Avid 4ws.

I have had these for about a year now, and they still have a great amount of tire tread left (just went outside and double checked). They grip VERY GOOD in rain, and extremely good on dry surfaces. So good, in fact, that I do not experience a lot of what people complain about here (i.e. "in the rain, I am always spinning my tires and sliding about. This car's so heavy..." yada yada.)

I drive simi-aggressively, but I don't do burnouts, doughnuts, or any racing. But I can't stress how much I appreciate these tires.

The best part, however, is the price. I chose these because at the time everyone was selling them at approximately $160-175/tire, then I found them at Tirerack.com for about $115. Thought it was a bit shady, but asked around and others said that Tirerack really does well, so bought 'em. Now, according to the link I provided, they're selling for $108.

My car is stock (minor non-performance and NO suspension changes), I live in Georgia (frequent rain throughout the year), and have 17" rims. The tires I have are the ones in the link, at 255/17/45.

Need any other info, I'll gladly offer it, but suffice to say I'm going right back and buying these again in a few months.

Good luck!
You say you got non-performance and no suspension mods. Then go you on to say you drive "Semi" aggressive and you say you dont do any racing driving. No offense dude but i think you think you drive more aggressive then you actually do.

I have those exact same tires and they are POS. In the rain if i try to make a u-turn my wheels start spinning or i start drifting. And trying to make a turn at 90 with those tires
Old 04-10-09, 06:24 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im also in the market for new tires. The thing I dont like about the Yokohamas is the fact that they have a directional tread pattern. My current tires are Michelin sport pilot a/s, which are very directional and tend to pull the car around, I also am wanting good price in these tough times. Do not need a/s as I do not drive in the snow. My michelins are not noisey but wear fast.
Old 04-11-09, 09:44 AM
texan_176
Intermediate

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Michelin models cost more but tend to be quieter. Dunlop is a good balance of slow wear, quiet, and cost. Continentals are the best price and most durable but they are loud.

It all depends on what you are looking for.

If you have the stereo on all of the time you drive then Contientals are the best buy.

Quick Reply: What tire brand should i get??