SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

How to PAINT your wood grain and REMOVAL

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-09, 08:40 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default How to PAINT your wood grain and REMOVAL

I recently discovered that several people have tried different things to make their SC stand out on their wood grain, but I couldnt find anyone who actually posted exactly how to do it, or removing the trim. Hopefully this long post will help the DIY'S.

For the Dash Wood:

On the passenger side of the bottom part, where you change out the cabin air filter, slightly pull down on the lowest trim piece, there are 2 plastic grooved pieces that will pop off. They should fall straight down in the floorboard.

Next, There are 2 screws on the next bottom piece, on the bottom of the glove box, that need to be removed. After these are removed, you need to open up the glove box, and remove the 2 black plastic covers inside. You will need a small flat screwdriver or a very sharp knife. Then remove these 2 screws. Use a flat screwdriver and pry in between the wood and the inside of the glove box, ever so gently.. The glove box is slightly wedged under there. Once you get it loose, undo the plug in's. One is for the light, and the other is the sensor to activate the light once the door is open. Move this out of the way.

Next, Remove the black plastic tubing, this held in by one screw. Its under the passenger side vent.

Next, Heres is where it gets a little aggravating.. You must feel inside the dash or behind the wood piece. There are 3 wing nuts that holds this in place. Remove those. I had to use a set of pliers to get these to turn, I couldnt with my hands. Once, those are removed, remove the one black screw under the passenger side vent, this is what holds this in place for that corner. The other side of the middle vents is in there with a metal clip. Be ever so gently when you pry this thing out. You will crack your vents, if not already, trying to removing this. I cant stress enough to be so gentle!

Next, once removed and out of your car, remove the 2 screws for the middle vents, and 2 screws for the passenger side. There are 2 small screws in the middle piece that MUST be removed also, or you will crack those plastic pieces. There also 2 screws for the passenger as well. Remove these and lay them to the side!

Next, sand this with 220 grit sandpaper, it will turn white a little, while sanding. Do the edges real good, and inside where the vents were.

Next, apply some solvent or prep to remove all the dust, dirt, etc, from the wood. Let dry completely!

Next, Spray the wood piece with some sorta of good plastic or wood paint. I used the black satin finish Krylon Plastic Fusion from Wal-Mart. I have had alot of luck with this paint! You use whatever. Apply thin coats and respray after 20-30 minutes, if its in the sun. I sparayed mine with 5 coats. If the paint starts to orange peel, you didnt sand enough or you didnt get all the armor all off of it, start over!

Installation is reverse of order!

Door Panels: Passenger Side

First, Remove the 3 screws at the bottom of the door panel.

Next, remove the 2 long screws under the armrest of the door.

Next, remove the 2 caps, and screws at the front of the door, this is where it goes up against the dashboard.

Next, on the inside of the door handle, gently pry with a small screwdriver and pop it out towards the front of the car. Remove that screw.

Next, pry up on the window control with a flat screwdriver, wedge toward the front of the car first, NOT the rear! Undo the 2 plugs.

Next, pry out the tweeter cover toward the fron the car, if you choose to paint it, like I did.

Next, take a screwdriver and pry under the door panel to pop thoise plastic clips out and pull the door toward you. Undo the 2 cables from the handle.

Next, lay the door down and remove the 11 nuts from the backside. This will remove the door handle and both wood pieces.

I chose to paint the door handle and the plastic insert that popped off, this is to assure it matched all the way across.

Follow the steps above to paint and installation is reverse of order!

Door Panel: Driver Side

Follow the first seven steps as stated above.

Next, remove the 2 black screws that hold the seat memory in place and unplug it.

Next follow the rest of the above instructions. Heres a few pix of the finished work.
Attached Thumbnails How to PAINT your wood grain and REMOVAL-p1010018.jpg  

Last edited by 1JZPWRD; 03-24-09 at 08:57 AM.
Old 03-24-09, 08:43 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Default Heres some more!

The other side of the car!
Attached Thumbnails How to PAINT your wood grain and REMOVAL-p1010019.jpg  
Old 03-24-09, 08:47 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Default The Last one!

Of the dash board all back together!
Attached Thumbnails How to PAINT your wood grain and REMOVAL-p1010020.jpg  
Old 03-24-09, 08:47 AM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great work!!
Old 03-24-09, 08:50 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Thanks man... I was hoping it would turn out great!!!! I believe it did.
Old 03-24-09, 08:56 AM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

that looks real good man, i wanna do mine just afraid to F it up!
Old 03-24-09, 09:00 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Just follow my instructions.... You'll do fine!!!! Thanks for the compliments... I was thinking about doing the speaker grille cover on the doors with the same color, what do you all think? Yes or no?
Old 03-24-09, 09:04 AM
UZZ30-SC4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks so much brother for the detailed right up, i think....hmmmm NEW PROJECT!!!
Old 03-24-09, 09:07 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

You are very welcome my fellow SC brother! I wanted to finally be able to give something back to the forums besides engine mechanical stuff, struts, bushings, etc.. Glad everyone seems to like it! I was afraid that some people didnt like it or was afraid 2try it . I hope with my detailed instruction, they will try it and love it!
Old 03-24-09, 09:08 AM
Peter_95
Lexus Champion

so no more wood color at all?
i've always wanted to do a darker coat of the wood trip. I think that would be really nice
Old 03-24-09, 09:29 AM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter_95
so no more wood color at all?
i've always wanted to do a darker coat of the wood trip. I think that would be really nice

yeah it'd be cool to do that, i have some "smoked" spray for taillights and stuff, i wonder if that'd pull off the tinted wood grain look...

i dunno the straight up black might match my black interior better .

92sc300 yeah pretty good right up, i've been curious how to get all the woodgrain off but just haven't been wanting to tackle it blindly , this should help
Old 03-24-09, 09:30 AM
Enigma8246
Lead Lap

I have an "ebony" wood stain i want to do mine with after i switch over to a charcol/ash interior
Old 03-24-09, 11:20 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

I hope whichever kind of paint and color everyone are using will definitely increase the look of the interior. I just thought the woodgrain look was out and outdated a little. So I wanted to let everyone know how I did it, and with the help of others, help everyone else out!
Old 03-24-09, 11:34 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thank you for this. excellent!!
Old 03-24-09, 11:41 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

You are more than welcome everyone.... Keep the comments coming!!!!

Quick Reply: How to PAINT your wood grain and REMOVAL